So.. I got chucked out of my band today... Am I right or not?

Dougie.Douglas

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds like they didn't have the nuts to straight-up kick you out so gave you a choice that they KNEW you wouldn't go for. It'd be one thing if you had a bass and played it fairly regular, but .... Bunch of passive-aggressive pussies if you ask me.

I think that maybe the case too, although I do hope its not.

Congrats on 1000 posts by the way :thu:

• Members

Sounds like they really just didn't want you in the band but were too chicken{censored} to fire you so they gave you an out. Pretty {censored}ty thing to do but some bands are funny like that. In their minds they didn't fire you so get to feel superior and do a group hug. F' em! They're pricks of the worst kind. You can do much better.

• Members

I think that maybe the case too, although I do hope its not.

Congrats on 1000 posts by the way
:thu:

Thanks .... I'm thinking about picking up a bass myself, y'know so I can fail with 2 instruments .... :rolleyes: But that probably won't even be until next year, and mostly just cuz I think it would be fun.

• Members

Don't worry find other people to play with and another band. The more people you play with the better you will be and the more you can learn from your experiences as you go along. Some people are more interested in being in charge of the band than actually working to make good performances. Let them get on with it :thu:

• Members

if you're not a bass player and don't own a bass ...

I reckon (a) they'd be better off with an ACTUAL bassist, and (b) you'd be better off in a band where you can play your main instrument.

This is the correct answer.:thu:

For example, I'm a carpenter. If you want a house, deck, patio or whatever built, no problem. If you want your sink fixed call a {censored}ing plumber.

• Members

Not atall happy. I went to band practise today and was promptly told by the drummer that I am now playing bass... to which I reply 'To hell, I am'. I was then told that if I do not take up position on the bass and leave my position as second guitarist... I would be chucked out.

I then told the rest of the band that I am nowhere near as good at Bass as I am at guitar, I do not own a bass guitar therefore I would not play the Bass guitar for the band. This, as you can imagine, didn't go down very well with the others... so I packed up my gear and left.

This all came about because the vocalist doesn't want to play bass as well as sing anymore... so he has taken position as the second guitarist (as well as singing), leaving us bass-less.

You did the right thing. If they'd suggested you simply sit in on bass until they found a full-time bass player, that might have gone down well and would have been a good learning experience. But issuing an ultimatum, basically saying you're not welcome to play guitar in that band anymore, and "we're going to tell you what to do," is dictatorial and inappropriate. On the way out the door I would have told them to go {censored} themselves.

I bet they talked about the singer playing bass again right after you left. :thu:

• Members

It all depends on whether you generally enjoy playing in the band enough with these people. Sometimes compromises are worth making for the sake of friendship and mutual understanding. However, it does sound as though they behaved in a childish way, and they may just be spiteful egotistical tossers.

If it were me, and I thought it was worth it from the social point of view, I would have agreed to play bass, then really practiced the guitar at home... waiting for the moment during a break, when I would casually pick up the lead guitarist's Squier and whack out an amazing Greeny solo full of soul. If they don't take you back after that, you know that they are a spiteful bunch of {censored}wits.

• Members

In answer to some of your questions:

I do enjoy playing in the band with these people - As I said, we've had some right laughs and performed a couple of times. Seeing it from a social point of view, well, I have to spend 3 days a week at college with these people... I suppose, if I stepped in on bass for a while (whilst they look for a new bassist), then that would of been fine, but deciding what I am going to do without even asking me, no way.

• Members

I do enjoy playing in the band with these people - As I said, we've had some right laughs and performed a couple of times. Seeing it from a social point of view, well, I have to spend 3 days a week at college with these people... I suppose, if I stepped in on bass for a while (whilst they look for a new bassist), then that would of been fine, but deciding what I am going to do without even asking me, no way.

Dude listen I have been thinking, I havnt really been feeling your guitar, do you wanna move to bass in our band?

• Members

The drummer was always saying 'Man, we have to cover some Metallica like Enter Sandman or One'
:facepalm:
ergh.

Uh...yea. You did the right thing :D

If they don't know the difference between a guitar player and a bass player, you should walk.

If they think Enter Sandman is a really great song to cover, you should run! Don't associate yourself with these ass-hats for another second! :lol:

• Members

This is the correct answer.
:thu:

For example, I'm a carpenter. If you want a house, deck, patio or whatever built, no problem. If you want your sink fixed call a {censored}ing plumber.

but anybody can be a plumber. All you need to know is, {censored} don't run uphill, and payday is on Friday.:lol:

• Members

It does seem strange that they didn't just recruit (in consultation with you of course), a bassist as an extra member of the band.

I'm sure it feels {censored}ty at the moment, but you'll probably look back on this and think 'good riddance'. When I was in a guitarist in a sixth form band back in the early 1970s, I was very fortunate to be the youngest person there. All of the others were like elder brothers, and looked after me - in fact the rhythm guitarist was the Maths teacher!

There will be plenty of other opportunities for musical collaboration in the future with other people... and it sounds as though your taste in music was different in any case.

• Members

Nearly your exact story happened with a bloke in a little band from Liverpool... the bands name was some kind of "bug-ish" name or something.

He has been playing rhythm guitar and when the bass player quit, he was "asked" by the other guitar players to play bass. He didn't really want to do it, but was having fun with the band and didn't want to quit so he ended up saying OK.

I don't think he had his own bass at the time, in fact he's a lefty... so he couldn't even use the old bass player's bass probably...

Anyway, I think things worked out for him OK...

I saw him on TV recently at the Golden Globes of all things...

Paul something I think... they showed him a lot cause he was sitting next to Julia Roberts! :D

Lucky guy.

M

• Members

Its real good to hear that most of you agree with me. Thanks for all your comments and opinions guys. I will let you all know how the bad situation goes - and if I manage to get myself into another band (or another couple of bands), or whether I am forced to go solo for a while (which I don't mind what so ever, it'd just be expanding my hobby really).

Cheers HCEG. :thu:

Archived