So.. I got chucked out of my band today... Am I right or not?

Dougie.Douglas

• Members
Not atall happy. I went to band practise today and was promptly told by the drummer that I am now playing bass... to which I reply 'To hell, I am'. I was then told that if I do not take up position on the bass and leave my position as second guitarist... I would be chucked out.

I then told the rest of the band that I am nowhere near as good at Bass as I am at guitar, I do not own a bass guitar therefore I would not play the Bass guitar for the band. This, as you can imagine, didn't go down very well with the others... so I packed up my gear and left.

This all came about because the vocalist doesn't want to play bass as well as sing anymore... so he has taken position as the second guitarist (as well as singing), leaving us bass-less.

I am now looking for sometime else to do, seeing as performing is part of my college course.

Tell me... Was I right to walk? Or should I of stayed and just played bass?

:idk:

Sorry for long-ish post.

Tell me, A

I think it sounds more like a power-play to get you to quit, or to just belittle you. Instead of having a group discussion wherein EVERYBODY discusses options about what to do - they just dump a "you're now doing this" gank on you.

More important, tho - rather than "I don't feel confident enough to play bass" or "I don't own a bass" - the real question was what part do you WANT to play in the band?

..and/or is playing in this band enjoyable/important enough to you to accept playing whatever instrument nobody else wants to, regardless of how accomplished you are on it.

Its all a struggle, but you should at least choose to struggle for something you want, rather than be shoved around by other's wants.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

your bandmembers are all a bunch of ignorant dumb{censored}s. Seriously. Where the hell did they get the idea that any guitar player can just jump over to bass and be an equally competent bass player? I've tried playing bass before, have even recorded some bass tracks for a friends band, but I'm not even close to being a competent bass player and although I could probably sit back and play root notes in time with the drummer, I could not pass myself off as a "real" bass player and would only be a detriment to a band.

Be glad you're out of that band of morons.

• Members
I think it sounds more like a power-play to get you to quit, or to just belittle you. Instead of having a group discussion wherein EVERYBODY discusses options about what to do - they just dump a "you're now doing this" gank on you.

More important, tho - rather than "I don't feel confident enough to play bass" or "I don't own a bass" - the real question was what part do you WANT to play in the band?

..and/or is playing in this band enjoyable/important enough to you to accept playing whatever instrument nobody else wants to, regardless of how accomplished you are on it.

Its all a struggle, but you should at least choose to struggle for something you want, rather than be shoved around by other's wants.

Sorry, I should of mentioned. I would rather be in a band where I can play an instument I enjoy (Guitar or sing, either), than be in a band where I have to play an instrument that I don't enjoy.

• Members
Sorry, I should of mentioned. I would rather be in a band where I can play an instument I enjoy (Guitar or sing, either), than be in a band where I have to play an instrument that I don't enjoy.

Thanks
:thu:

Look dude I already said you could be in my band .. . what ever.

• Members

Let me give you an incredibly valuable piece of advice I wished I had followed when I was younger. Join as many different bands as you can possibly given your schedule. Why? Playing with other makes you a better player and the more people you can play with the better you will become potentially opening you to different styles and approaches you would never discover on your own or with a small select group of people. Additionally, more groups = more gigs = better networking opportunities = more pay. If one of the bands starts to take off and get serious then you can drop one or two of the less serious ones to allow greater focus.

• Members

Let me give you an incredibly valuable piece of advice I wished I had followed when I was younger. Join as many different bands as you can possibly given your schedule. Why? Playing with other makes you a better player and the more people you can play with the better you will become potentially opening you to different styles and approaches you would never discover on your own or with a small select group of people. Additionally, more groups = more gigs = better networking opportunities = more pay. If one of the bands starts to take off and get serious then you can drop one or two of the less serious ones to allow greater focus.

I agree with this. I was in two bands recently till one imploded. Now trying to find a new second band.

That said, I'm a guitar player. I could not play bass or drums or be a singer in a band. If you're a guitar player and that's what you want to play and that's what you're good at, then don't try to be something you're not just for the sake of being in a band.

• Members

That is great - I have never thought of it that way before. :thu: As I mentioned... I have an acoustic set once a month, but I will see if anyone is looking for an electric guitarist for some other genres of band. :)

Thanks a lot! :thu:

Archived