So.. I got chucked out of my band today... Am I right or not?

Dougie.Douglas

• Members

Not atall happy. I went to band practise today and was promptly told by the drummer that I am now playing bass... to which I reply 'To hell, I am'. I was then told that if I do not take up position on the bass and leave my position as second guitarist... I would be chucked out.

I then told the rest of the band that I am nowhere near as good at Bass as I am at guitar, I do not own a bass guitar therefore I would not play the Bass guitar for the band. This, as you can imagine, didn't go down very well with the others... so I packed up my gear and left.

This all came about because the vocalist doesn't want to play bass as well as sing anymore... so he has taken position as the second guitarist (as well as singing), leaving us bass-less.

I am now looking for sometime else to do, seeing as performing is part of my college course.

Tell me... Was I right to walk? Or should I of stayed and just played bass?

:idk:

Sorry for long-ish post.

Tell me, A

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That sucks. I don't think I would fare well in a band that ordered me about so.

I think I would have done the same.

Still, bummer.

Time to be a singer/songwriter!

EG

It was starting to piss me off a bit. The drummer was always saying 'Man, we have to cover some Metallica like Enter Sandman or One' :facepalm: ergh.

I suppose I could go solo. I do an acoustic set with a couple of guys down at a club in town once a month, but I was really enjoyed experiencing music that I wouldn't normally play (A mix of older punk rock, southern and stoner rock, and some metal)

• Members

Life is too short to play an instrument you don't want to play.

I'd have said, "tell you what: I'll play drums. YOU play bass."

If they don't value your contribution as a guitarist enough to keep you around, either they are being dicks or you need to become a better guitarist. Either way, I don't see much point in sticking around. Go join/form a new band.

• Members

if you're not a bass player and don't own a bass ...

I reckon (a) they'd be better off with an ACTUAL bassist, and (b) you'd be better off in a band where you can play your main instrument.

That is why I walked. I don't see why I should play an instrument that, for one, I would not feel confident playing live.

Cheers CSM.

• Members

Life is too short to play an instrument you don't want to play.

I'd have said, "tell you what: I'll play drums. YOU play bass."

If they don't value your contribution as a guitarist enough to keep you around, either they are being dicks or you need to become a better guitarist. Either way, I don't see much point in sticking around. Go join/form a new band.

Well I do play a bit of drums, but the drummer would, under no circumstances, give up playing them. I see myself as quite a flexible guitarist... I do think that I am pretty good at most genres (sorry if that sounds a bit big-headed, but I have always played a mix). But I don't know.

Cheers mate.

• Members

They definately could of handled things better by proposing the change to you rather than insisting it happen. Sounds like they had their minds made up before you showed up.

If they couldn't give a better reason than 'because the singer doesn't want to play bass anymore' (It's OK that the singer doesn't want to play bass anymore but not OK that you don't want to play bass?) and they gave you the ultimatum I think you did right by yourself. From where I sit it was pretty {censored}ty on their part if things went down like that.

• Members

They definately could of handled things better by proposing the change to you rather than insisting it happen. Sounds like they had their minds made up before you showed up.

If they couldn't give a better reason than 'because the singer doesn't want to play bass anymore' (It's OK that the singer doesn't want to play bass anymore but not OK that you don't want to play bass?) and they gave you the ultimatum I think you did right by yourself. From where I sit it was pretty {censored}ty on their part if things went down like that.

That was my exact point with the drums comment. Why are YOU the one facing an ultimatum?

• Members

Yeah, I think they had their mind made up before I showed up. We agreed to meet at the studio for a couple of hours practise.. I came in, was confornted by the drummer... I then left and went to see my friends band play in another room.

• Members

That was my exact point with the drums comment. Why are YOU the one facing an ultimatum?

Well.. I don't exactly know why they chose me to kick out.. but I know for a fact that they didn't even consider the other guitarist (not that I wish for him to be kicked out, not atall). Sure its unfair... but I guess there isn't much I can do eh? :lol:

• Members

You are not right. You did not get chucked out of the band. You were given an ultimatum, and that is a sucky way to be treated.

Sounds like you're better off.

Sorry to hear about, though. Doesn't make it any less sucky to go through.

There are lots of ways to perform, though. Do you have access to a Donkey?

• Members

I think you should have stayed and played bass. At least until you found another gig. Plus it would have broadened your musical aptitude.

But sure, it would be hard to get past the emotional aspects.

Well, as I said.. I am not very good at bass... I do, however, agree that it would of broadened my musical aptitude. Thanks! :thu:

Archived