LP Studio or Traditional?

kirs

• Members

Been wanting a LP for a long time. I play a Epi '56 Goldtop RI but want a humbucker guitar too and if I do it again I don't want to go the Epi -> swap p'up route.

Debating between the LP Studio vs the Traditional. The Traditional looks fantastic and if I buy it I would be set for life. I'd consider the Studio for the price but wondering if it's worth the $1000 more just to get a Traditional and not have to worry about upgrading again in a few years.

Is the the Studio good or is the Traditional worth the price? I know a lot of people don't recommend buying new LPs but from what I read the worst is over for bad production, true?

• Members

Yeah not interested in heavy distortion so maybe the Studio is not a good option. Interested in a used Standard but afraid of getting scammed and the shops are marked up.

Because that's when they started chambering them. If he's looking at getting a Traditional, chances are he wants his Les Paul unchambered.

Definitely unchambered. I don't mind the weight.

• Members

Why pre 2006?

2002-2008 Standard's had some appointments that were more "vintage-like." Mid-'06 to '08 they went to chambering. This era is probably my favorite for modern day, non-custom shop Standard's. Best bang for the buck are the 2007-2008 chambered Les Paul Standard Faded's.

The only non-personal opinion I can make on the Studio is that their resale isn't the best. Also, some lower-end Studio's appear to have more QC issues than other Gibson models.

Traditionals are cool and stores seem more willing to deal. BUT, like most things Gibson, play before you pay.

• Members

If you got the cash,go for the traditional,its as close to a real vintage Lester as your gonna get! IMO if you want to play tons of distortion and never play much clean buy a studio version,they are great for making noise!

??????????

Can you explain why a Studio lends itself to tons of distortion or can't play cleans? Mine does just fine.

The main difference between a Studio and a Traditional lies in cosmetic appointments and binding. Granted neck binding can be seen as a cosmetic or playing asthetic, but 2 strips of plastic for $1000? That's up to you

• Members

I love my Traditional. Plays great, looks amazing, sounds wonderful. I didn't play a whole lot of studios when I was shopping because I just don't like LPs without binding. I spent half a year saving money for my LP, and I wanted one I'd be happy with for a long time. Plus, the few Studios I did try just didn't feel right to me. Then again, I tried a couple of Standards and other Traditionals that didn't do it for me, either. The 57 Classics in the Traditional are great, too.

Really depends what you want. The dozens of LPs I played when shopping varied a lot, even within the same model. Try a bunch and see what grabs you.

Traditionals are Plek'd, too. Are studios? I'm not sure either way.

• Members

The thing about Studios being bad for cleans is bull. The 498T is a great pup for cleans! :rolleyes:

Classics are bad for cleans because of the super hot ceramic pups.

I own a studio (white with ebony board :love:) and think its great. Ive played a Traditional that I loved in a store, I do think it was better than my studio, but not twice as good (was twice the price).

If money (and weight) is not a big issue, then I say go for the Traditional, but the Studio is still a great guitar.

• Members

The thing about Studios being bad for cleans is bull. The 498T is a great pup for cleans!
:rolleyes:
Classics
are bad for cleans because of the super hot ceramic pups.

I own a studio (white with ebony board
:love:
) and think its great. Ive played a Traditional that I loved in a store, I do think it was better than my studio, but not twice as good (was twice the price).

If money (and weight) is not a big issue, then I say go for the Traditional, but the Studio is still a great guitar.

I have the same guitar ('06) and I love it - and it is NOT chambered. I have been on a tone quest with the pickups - nothing objectively "wrong" with the stock pups, just not my taste. Right now and for the foreseeable future I have a Pearly Gates set :love:

• Members

The Traditional definitely has a more refined look to it, but you have to decide whether that matters to you. The arguments over which is better for distortion are a little silly IYAM. $1000 is a big spread, so ask yourself what else you want? You could pick up a US-made Strat or Tele (or a Princeton Reverb or AC-30) with the difference in cost between these two.

Don't tell yourself that this one guitar will satisfy your GAS for life, cuz it never works that way. It's like automobiles: once you've acclimated yourself to a certain level of quality, you just want more.

• Members

Don't tell yourself that this one guitar will satisfy your GAS for life, cuz it never works that way. It's like automobiles: once you've acclimated yourself to a certain level of quality, you just want more.

I could not agree with this anymore. I got my Traditional Pro and thought I wouldn't be getting a guitar for a loooooong while, but 3 weeks later I bought my Gibson Les Paul Gem. GAS will never go away...

Archived