Help me buy a decent ukulele

funkywrench

• Members

I've been getting a craving of late to buy a semi-decent ukulele to muck around on occasionally. I've tried the crappy cheap colourful ones you can buy so I'm definately looking for a step up from that but at the same time I want to spend as little as possible.

Are there any brands or models that stand out as particularly good value for money? I don't mind buying used or scouring ebay either.

• Members

I've got a Lanikai LU-21CE Concert electric that runs $129 or you can get the LU-21C without the pickup for $79. These are fantastic for the money. I would recommend the Concert size over the Soprano just because the longer scale makes things not so cramped and the tuning is a bit more stable. If you're willing to spend a bit more ($300-$500) I'd check out the Pono ukes. They usually come with a killer hard case and are just fantastic ukes in that price range.

617106.jpg

You may know this already, but I believe Soprano's are about 13" scale, Concert's are about 15" scale, and Tenor's are about 17" scale and they're all typically tuned GCEA, so as you go up in scale you get more tension and a tighter and snappier sound. Soprano's are a bit more plunky and can be less stable, especially in the cheaper stuff.

• Members

Thanks for the reply and the general uke info! I was vaguely aware of the tuning but its good to know that most sizes use the same tuning. I'll keep an eye out on ebay for the Lanikai ukes.

Any other suggestions?

After the tenor, there's the baritone, which often isn't tuned the same way as the others. It's more like a tiny 4-string guitar. Easier for guitarists to just jump over to due to the tuning being the same as the top 4 on a guitar (from memory), but it kinda loses some of its uke-ness that way. :idk:

I was looking at picking up a nice tenor a while back, until it occurred to me I really didn't have any money. :mad::facepalm: Still don't. :o

• Members

I was on Maui recently and i went to a Uke store in Lahaina and played a 'real' one for the first time and man those things are so fun! He had a decent ukelele with a spruce top, mahogany sides, neck, back, and rosewood or ebony fingerboard for about $160. I believe he said shipping from Maui was just $20 so... just know that one can find a pretty nice one for under $200

Archived