Favourite 2-in-1 Dirt Box

Alecto

• Members

Siegmund Double Drive would be one of my top 5 choices, out of literally hundreds that I had.

The only pedal that I have these days is the Womanizer. Unfortunately I'll put it on eBay to pay for a computer repair, but it has a great sounding overdrive plus boost, eq., and compressor, so it's more like 4 in 1. It also has cabinet emulation or something like that, but I've never tried that feature.

• Members

I've heard really mixed things about that pedal . . . seems to be a real love-it-or-hate-it proposition. What did you like/dislike about it?

Well, the Jekyll side is basically a tube screamer circuit, but I found it sounded very good, better than an actual Tube Screamer to my ears. The distortion (Hyde) side was good, not the best I've ever heard, but not bad. What I liked best about it was using both of the pedals at the same time. Nice, saturated tones...very warm

Only sold it because I sold off most of my pedals after I bought my Tonelab.

• Members
Never seen one of those before!
:eek:

If you don't mind my asking, how does it sound and how much did it put you back?

Blackstar's HT-Dual is basically their tube-driven HT-Drive and HT-Dist pedals in one box -- it's also the preamp/brain of the highly-regarded two-channel HT-5 amps, which are pretty much an HT-Dual with a speaker.

If you're familiar with the amp -- you've got a pretty good idea of what the pedal sounds like.

• Members

I had to convince myself in a blind test, but I've grown to like the Line6 DM4 distortion modeler.

Although it says "distortion", I actually prefer the boosts and cleaner settings on the various drive... although I've been known to blast a bit of Octave Fuzz at times!

Since I got an M13, I am parting with it, but the M13 has the same set of models... so I get to keep the tones... in fact, the coolest new thing I've found is running a couple of the models together... like the clean boost into the classic distortion! Yummy!

DM4.jpg

M

• Members
Blackstar's HT-Dual is basically their tube-driven HT-Drive and HT-Dist pedals in one box -- it's also the preamp/brain of the highly-regarded two-channel HT-5 amps, which are pretty much an HT-Dual with a speaker.

If you're familiar with the amp -- you've got a pretty good idea of what the pedal sounds like.

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately I've never even freakin' heard a Blackstar amp; I'm sure they're in Toronto but I haven't seen one in the music shops I occasionally inhabit. :facepalm:

Archived