A very short history of Agile LPs

fuzztone

• Members

What is that buy the bridge? Some sort of aftermarket piezzo?

More info please.

Its a roland Gk2a Pickup so I can use the guitar with my VG99 system (or gr33).

The GK2a is a hexaphonic pickup, basically consisting of a mini humbucker pickup for each string, allowing seperate processing of each string individually. Using a VG system, you can then model different guitars, use polyphonic effects, or change the tuning of each string by differing degrees. This lets you with the flick of a switch/button go from standard tuning to DADGAD, or a baritone tuning instantly.

• Members

I'm at the Rondo site, looking at some of the LP copies, and something jumps out at me. In bold letters, for the Al-2000s, the words Made in Korea.

Is this an aberration? Will the Korean made guitars still be superior to the Made in China? I have to rethink my vow not to buy any new guitars for awhile.

I believe that all of the Agile branaded guitars are made in Korea. Rondo also sells Douglas and SX guitars but they are not a house brand and are not speced by Rondo Music, and are built in China.

Max

• Members

Fuzztone, Thanks for the discussion of the Agiles. I first heard of them at this site and I can see they have a following here. I'm curious about where they're built.

There's a range of moderately-priced guitars sweeping through jazz land, the Peerless. Peerless (Korean) makes a variety of styles, including carved and pressed top jazz boxes and several laminates. I'm told jazz players are buying the lams for high volume gigs such as organ trios, to cut feedback, and leaving their carved archtops at home. I'm also told Peerless built the White Falcon and 6120 for Gretsch until recently. They have similar models in production now. Jazz guitar teacher Robert Conti sells a thinline singlecut Peerless as the Rober Conti model.

My point in all this is that the headstock inlay on some of the pictured guitars you posted looks like some of the Peerless trim. Also some of the conventional Agile headstock shapes look like Peerless. Does Peerless build the Agile? The Peerless is well-received in jazz guitar circles. Thanks for your comments.

http://www.peerlessguitars.co.uk/#/electric/4523582253

http://www.robertconti.com/images/equity/full-front.jpg

• Members

Fuzztone, Thanks for the discussion of the Agiles. I first heard of them at this site and I can see they have a following here. I'm curious about where they're built.

There's a range of moderately-priced guitars sweeping through jazz land, the Peerless. Peerless (Korean) makes a variety of styles, including carved and pressed top jazz boxes and several laminates. I'm told jazz players are buying the lams for high volume gigs such as organ trios, to cut feedback, and leaving their carved archtops at home. I'm also told Peerless built the White Falcon and 6120 for Gretsch until recently. They have similar models in production now. Jazz guitar teacher Robert Conti sells a thinline singlecut Peerless as the Rober Conti model.

My point in all this is that the headstock inlay on some of the pictured guitars you posted looks like some of the Peerless trim. Also some of the conventional Agile headstock shapes look like Peerless. Does Peerless build the Agile? The Peerless is well-received in jazz guitar circles. Thanks for your comments.

http://www.peerlessguitars.co.uk/#/electric/4523582253

http://www.robertconti.com/images/equity/full-front.jpg

Fuzztone? Anyone? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Members

Could anyone tell me if the headstock design and text is inlayed or just brushed on?

Nice thread btw, fuzztone.

Thanks for the posts guys.

the headstock design on the LP-2500 is inlaid but I am not sure how the logo is applied.

The Peerless headstock and the one on the old Agiles are similar but not the same so I don't know if there is any connection between these guitars.

Saw this old Valkyrie project on Ebay. Actually,I think this is only old Valkyrie I with the original body I have even seen for sale on ebay.

Agilevalkproject.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

headstock.jpg

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I was working as a guitar repair tech  for Loria music in Rahway, NJ aroung 2002-2003 when a repair customer brings in a newly purchased guitar to be set up. It was the Agile LP2800. I had never seen or heard of them before. It was beautiful. After work I drove to Rondo and tried out every LP 2500 and 2800 they had. I settled on one of the floor model LP2500 in a burnt orange/amber quilt top finish. A day job coworker of mine at the time used to work at Rondo (John Darco) and was friends with Kurt. He helped me get a bit of a discount as well. $250.00 was the final cost. I have it and use it to this day. Great guitar!!  I have a picture of it, but don't know how to "attach" it to this post...

• Members
On 1/14/2010 at 7:53 PM, Kevman said:

Here is my boy's first generation AD2500:

camera01-14-10040.jpg

My First generation AL-2500:

camera01-14-10038.jpg

My AL-2800 rounded horn but original headstock:

e14e06ca.jpg

My son's first generation Ghost:

Image01.jpg

My Original Hornet with GFS Crusader pups. Deadly axe:

guits1-3-050042Vcrop.jpg

Ghost, Strat (forgot model#),AD2500,AL2500,AL2800,Hornet:)

02f46873.jpg

I love those Hornets, I wish I had gotten one before they were discontinued @ Rondo.

I don't have any Agiles, but I have 4 SXes. I love 'em.

EDIT: Whoa rondo still has the Agile Hornets, but they seem to be a lot more expensive than I remember them 

https://www.rondomusic.com/hornet624white.html

Edited by humbuckerstrat
  • Like 1

• Members

I've owned and played a few Agiles over the years.  I think they make some of the best extended range guitars out there especially in that price range.  While I do usually change out the hardware and throw some better pickups in there, even leaving them stock they're good sounding and playing guitars.  I always wanted one of those Ric style Agiles but by the time I went to get one they'd been removed, unfortunately.  They're pretty tough to locate now even on the aftermarket, it seems.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I was visiting in NJ and wasn't far from the Rondo store and bought a AL2500 with P90's at $199 as they were relocating soon. When I got home, after looking at the headstock, the salesperson gave me a AL2800. :thu:

image.png.cae0ac34bdce522af32c4484e20b13a4.png

Edited by xStonr
  • Like 1

• Members

I recently picked up this, a 3010SE, and I expected to change out a few things. So far, all I did was a typical 50's wiring, and this things sings! Ebony board, abalone markers, and the p[ickups REALLY surprised me after a bit of tweaking. One of the cool factors is that there is only a 1/16th inch veneer on it. Pure mahogany (ish) goodness!

GEDC0879.thumb.JPG.287e89eb4528f4fd26ff5d768f0a1219.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...