Check out this video of me recording an old song I wrote!

Prages

• Members

Who knows when the next round of 2.0 will hit. I wanted to wait for it, but it could be months at this rate. :D

I wrote this in 1993 at the tender age of 18, so the song is pretty cheesy, but man, I think the video came out great.

_OZ-LQxaWHY

And yes, the video is from the actual recording. I synched up 10 different video feeds and the final mixed version of the song.

• Members

Very nice man. I do the 'one man band' thing too. Something really satisfying about working that way.

Yeah, and if the song doesn't come out the way you'd hoped, you have only yourself to blame.

I have a band, but I do almost all of my recording by myself. My band has never done a real recording, only a few recorded gigs.

• Members

One more bump.

Also, just so you know, the video was done with pretty low budget equipment.

I used a Sony Handycam MiniDVD camera, which I got for $299. I did all the editing in Adobe Premier Elements 3.0, and the new version, version 8, costs $75.

• Members

Just had another listen. The vocals and LP sound particularly good. What mics etc. were you using.

For vocals I used an AKG C4000B.

For the LP, it was running into my Classic 30, mic'd with an SM57.

The orange Warmoth Strat was also going into the Classic 30.

The black US Masters Strat was going into a Barber Direct Drive Super Sport with the gain turned way down, and then into a '72 Fender Bassman 50 into an Avatar 212 open back cab with a Celestion G12H30 and a Vintage 30, with the G12H30 mic'd with the SM57.

For the LP, I added some delay in mixdown.

• Members

Wow thanks for the info. That AKG looks and sounds like a nice mic, and actually I think my vocal range is similar to yours so that might be the mic I've been looking for. Anything you don't like about it? How's it sound on acoustic guitar?

Sm57s really do sound great for guitars. I've tried a bunch of micing combinations but always seem to come back to the 57. :thu:

• Members

Wow thanks for the info. That AKG looks and sounds like a nice mic, and actually I think my vocal range is similar to yours so that might be the mic I've been looking for. Anything you don't like about it? How's it sound on acoustic guitar?

Sm57s really do sound great for guitars. I've tried a bunch of micing combinations but always seem to come back to the 57.
:thu:

The AKG is the best sounding mic I've ever owned. It's a dual diaphram, so you get three patterns, Omni, Multi, and Uni-directional. It also has a 10db pad and a 100hz rolloff built in.

The only trouble I've ever had out of it is that it fell over once and quit working. That's when I bought the CAD Trion. Once I got the CAD, I decided to take the AKG apart and see if I could fix it. It's got two circuit boards in it that are connected with a ribbon connector, and the connection had pulled loose. I reconnected and it's been going strong since.

I actually used it (the AKG) and a CAD 95 handheld condensor for the acoustic tracks on the video, stuck it in front of my bass amp (and did a DI) for the bass, and also used it as an ambient room mic on the drums.

Sucks for distorted guitars, but then, every condensor I've ever tried in front of a distorted amp sounds like crap compared to the trusty SM57.

Oh, also, the shockmount for the AKG is really nice (and comes with the mic), but mine broke in the fall. The shockmount in the video is the one that came with the CAD Trion.

I don't think AKG still makes the C4000B though. It was about $550 when I bought it...oh, about 5 years ago.

• Members

very nice work, man

i intend to make similar style vids when i get some decent video editing software

i agree the vocal mic sounds good... i just invested a bit on a tube condenser... and i'm not exactly happy with it for my voice... although i love the way it records acoustic guitars.. so the search for vocal mic's continues

nice arrangement on the song too... the acoustic lead is a nice touch

how did you record the drums?

• Members

very nice work, man

i intend to make similar style vids when i get some decent video editing software

i agree the vocal mic sounds good... i just invested a bit on a tube condenser... and i'm not exactly happy with it for my voice... although i love the way it records acoustic guitars.. so the search for vocal mic's continues

nice arrangement on the song too... the acoustic lead is a nice touch

how did you record the drums?

Before you give up on your mic, do lots of experimenting with compression. I compress the hell out of my vocal tracks. Without the compression, they probably wouldn't sound near as good.

Drums were close mic'd with an Audix D6 in the kick drum, and SM57s on the snare and toms. I have two Audio Technica AT2020s just above and to the left and right of my head as overheads, and the AKG C4000B was in the stairway leading up to my attic to get some cool ambience.

Then I compressed and EQ'd each of the close mics, as well as adding some reverb, especially on the snare and overheads.

• Members

very nice work, man

And seriously, I used the older version of this software (3.0) and I love it. I had 10 different video feeds, and I could have added more. Synched them all up with the recorded and mixed track, did the transitions, etc. The stuff works great and costs $75.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65045377-Premiere-Elements-8/dp/B002IJA1DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1264020241&sr=8-1

• Members

You did a great job with the compression because I didn't even notice it was there. It's really easy to over do the compression, and I usually do.

Any insights on how you process your vocal compression.

Before you give up on your mic, do lots of experimenting with compression. I compress the hell out of my vocal tracks. Without the compression, they probably wouldn't sound near as good.

Drums were close mic'd with an Audix D6 in the kick drum, and SM57s on the snare and toms. I have two Audio Technica AT2020s just above and to the left and right of my head as overheads, and the AKG C4000B was in the stairway leading up to my attic to get some cool ambience.

Then I compressed and EQ'd each of the close mics, as well as adding some reverb, especially on the snare and overheads.

• Members

I use a URS compressor plugin, which is just awesome.

I don't have my recording computer in front of me to give you exact settings, but I know I usually run an 8:1 compression ratio, and I think the threshhold is somewhere around -15db.

Wait, I've done a screen shot of the settings before...let me see if I can find it.

• Members

That is an EXCELLENT song.

Could easily be a hit.

Actually though, has sort of a seventies feel to it, the melody line in the chorus and harmonies I mean. Could have REALLY been a hit in the seventies. Sounds like a band Im thinking of but cant remember?

Great song.

Archived