Floyd Rose Original Trem-Stop help

Nazgul6

• Members

I bought this thing to block the Floyd Rose on my new SoCal. I am working on it right now and I need help.

http://www.axcessories.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AXfrstp

In the picure he has it mounted in between the two springs. My guitar has three springs. Should I take the middle one out? What effect will that have because I just worked 10 minutes on getting the bridge perfectly parallel to the body and tuned!

Or should I just mount it in between springs 1 and 2, or 2 and 3.

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

I am completely guessing, but installing it off center should be ok. You'd worry about it maybe tweaking the bridge so one side is high and one is low, but I don't think that would really happen. If you don't mind putting an extra hole in your guitar I'd say go ahead and install it next to the mddle spring and try it out.

edit: actually, it's just meant to stop the bridge from going too far right? so if your springs are anywhere close to even with the tuned springs there won't be much force at all on the stopper. Should be fine!

• Members

Mazi I'm sure you know better than me, but wouldn't leaving the springs symmetric and fitting the trem-stop between them be better since it would keep even spring tension on the bridge at all times, whereas the tremstop doesn't put any force on the bridge so it's ok if it's off-center?

• Members

Mazi I'm sure you know better than me, but wouldn't leaving the springs symmetric and fitting the trem-stop between them be better since it would keep even spring tension on the bridge at all times, whereas the tremstop doesn't put any force on the bridge so it's ok if it's off-center?

Good question. Any opinions?

• Members

Well that's partially why I suggested 2 springs at the top where the heavier gauge strings are, and one at the bottom. I really don't think it matters that much though... I also agree that the trem-stop does not necessarily have to be dead-center, but then again, I've never installed one before.

• Members

I agree with everything Mazi said. Having everything perfectly aligned, parallel, geometrically perfect, etc. isn't the point here. It's balancing the tensions. It would make sense that the tension would be greater on the side with the heavier strings. Also, you can adjust the claw so that the tension is right/balanced across the entire bridge. It may not be perfectly parallel to the bridge; but thats OK. It's the tension that matters, not geometric alignment.

jmho,

rd

• Members

but don't the strings have equal tension? the thicker strings are thicker, but they don't have more tension cause then they wouldn't be lower notes. The point of having thicker strings is to keep the tension the same for all the strings while having different notes.

Right?

edit: someone did the math http://www.noyceguitars.com/Technotes/Articles/T3.html i guess the thicker strings do have SLIGHTLY more tension on them.

Archived