Best Buy

Loxley

• Members

The Best Buy in Bloomington, MN and Roseville, MN are great. The sales staff is knowledgable, friendly, and low-pressure.

I scored a NOS '07 Highway One Telecaster there for about $400 last spring. I've also had VERY good luck finding studio gear and accessories on clearance there.

Last week, they had a vast selection of Danelectro pedals on their clearance table for about half price. I'm not a fan of pedals to begin with, and have heard negative vibes about the ones Dano makes... but it's still an impressive deal nevertheless.

My only complaints, both of which are little more than nit-picks:

1) I wish they would carry cables other than Monster and Hosa... but I can always buy my cables on-line or at other shops.

2) Their selection of bass amps is a joke.

They are no rival at all to my favorite mom-and-pops in town, but they do a nicer job (with a smaller space) than Guitar Center. The first big-box store to give them an honest run for the money since MARS went under.

• Members

^^^ Yes, and those are the exceptions because they are clearance product.

Other than that, same old, same old...

nope, the prices I quoted in my post were not clearance deals...they were just having a sale. Nearly everything in the store was on sale...good stuff!

• Members

I went to one of the Chicago area stores for the first time on Tuesday. Sales guy was nice and refreshingly honest. The selection was ho-hum, but so is most of Guitar Center.

I was told that there are rumors floating around about BB's direction with the department:

- Phase out the high-end stuff

- concentrate more on DJ/Keyboard/Software equipment

- Phase out the department altogether.

Stay tuned.

• Members

I'm not complaining. The nearest place selling anything musical is over an hour away (Guitar Center...the concept of a mom'n pop in California is laughable) The closest Best Buy is 10 minutes if I get a ride. My local BB only has strings and cheap-ass guitars now, but now I don't have to go on a {censored}ing journey everytime i want a set of strings.

• Members

Funny, the only BestBuy with a music department is the one a half mile down the road from my 'home' GC. I went to GC hoping to buy a Danelectro EQ pedal, or maybe an MXR. All GC had was Boss ($99) and the MXR 10-band. I passed - I ain't spending a hundred bucks on an EQ.

Drove down the road to Best Buy, and I was pleasantly surprised. Of course their selection isn't as big as GC's. But they do have a solid selection of low and mid priced gear. It took a while to get waited on, but there's no "hey, d00d!" attitude like at GC. :lol: They had the pedal I wanted at a good price. I left happy. Prices seemed to be close to GC, maybe even lower on some items.

I too am GASsing for that Princeton Reverb reissue. $600 seem almost reasonable, I've seen them for $900 on line and $1,100 (yes!) at a local M&P music store.

• Members

Speaking for the one near me: prices no better or higher; salespeople more annoying, less knowledgeable, and pushier; place is messy; no working cables so you can't try anything out; instruments set up so poorly they all seem like stinkers; half the amps are unplugged and you can't access the power without an employee.

Shall I go on?

don't you have any guitars or amps at home you could play?

• Members

still not sure what you guys are talking about. BB employees are not commission-based, right? Why would they be "pushy?" In my experience, they're like all other BB employees---just kids waiting for their shift to end. That makes for one hell of a great music dept, since no one gives a {censored} what you do or don't do.

• Members

don't you have any guitars or amps at home you could play?

Does best buy take instrument returns?

Even so.. do you really want to drag it all the way back to the store, instead of just trying it out in the store while you're there the first time? I'm not defending laziness, but it's just sensible and saves a ton of time.

• Members

I found the music section in a local Best Buy that I hadn't been in for a few years. Quite a shock, it does look like a mini GC. It was completely dead on a Friday night when the rest of the store was very busy. The only activity in there were the two blue-shirted Best Buy employees who were jamming together and talking about band practice...oh and ignoring me as I was looking over the PA speakers...this won't last long...keep your eye out for closeout sales!

• Members

place is messy; no working cables so you can't try anything out; instruments set up so poorly they all seem like stinkers; half the amps are unplugged and you can't access the power without an employee.

Shall I go on?

Seriously, how is that ANY different than Guitar Center?

You described my local Guitar Center to a T

• Members

I've seen good... no... great deals at mine from time to time. The people who work at the one I go to are all quite knowledgeable and friendly for the most part.

The selection isn't fantastic but it's better than most awful mom and pop shops. They are willing to negotiate on some things, especially if you're friendly with the staff.

Archived