Best Buy

Loxley

• Members

The one near me doesn't have a music section like that. Hard to imagine, but really, is it
that
much worse than GC? It's the same business model.

That's the problem.. it's just like Guitar Center, except imagine one in a store that doesn't specialize in musical instrumentation in the first place!

I've been to a few.. really it's just like Guitar Center in the sense that I'd never go to shop around, I'd go for common necessities like strings and picks, etc.

• Members

When they had the 3 sets or Ernie Ball strings for $10 sale, I went. Good deal there... unfortunately, everything else sucked. I went to the one in Union Square in Manhattan, and was very disappointed: The guitars were good, but the prices were more or less the same as guitar center, the salespeople had no knowledge whatsoever and just tried to push you to buy stuff, the sales floor was overrun by 13 year old little {censored}s... definitely would not recommend it.

• Members

I was always skeptical of WurstBuy getting into the musical instrument business beyond little Danelectro pedals and Hannah Montoya starter packs. I also suspect that if they had any inkling of what the economy would be like later, they would have never taken the gamble of competing against Guitar Center (no doubt BestBuy began planning for this venture in 2006/2007 or so).

Now for my prediction: WurstBuy pulls out of the musical instrument business in the next 24 to 36 months.

:cool:

• Members

I was always skeptical of WurstBuy getting into the musical instrument business beyond little Danelectro pedals and Hannah Montoya starter packs. I also suspect that if they had any inkling of what the economy would be like later, they would have never taken the gamble of competing against Guitar Center (no doubt BestBuy began planning for this venture in 2006/2007 or so).

Now for my prediction:
WurstBuy pulls out of the musical instrument business in the next 24 to 36 months.

:cool:

I'm with you.

The one that I frequent is a VERY busy BB, but whenever I'm in the musical instruments department, it is DEAD. Many of the guitars on the walls are the same ones that have been there since they opened (what, 2 years ago ?).

I will say that they sometimes have good clearance sales, but overall they are very "meh". They carry pretty much what any GC would (but a lot less of it) and don't do much to distinguish themselves.

• Members

I love how he's talking about how poppy and bright the guitar is and all we the viewers hear is dull, muddy, and inarticulate.

I also have to say it's the worst sounding, worst shot promo I've seen in a long time. If they're going to bother, they should hire a real cameraman and a real sound mixer and make it decent to look at and listen to. They demo all of these sounds and the camera mic gets as much pick noise and the sound coming from the strings as it gets sound coming from the amp.

• Members

So bad how?

I've actually had good experiences at my local Best Buy. Very helpful people, not a huge selection, but decent. At times, they've had very good prices on some things.

Speaking for the one near me: prices no better or higher; salespeople more annoying, less knowledgeable, and pushier; place is messy; no working cables so you can't try anything out; instruments set up so poorly they all seem like stinkers; half the amps are unplugged and you can't access the power without an employee.

Shall I go on?

• Members

I don't get the issue. They're competition to Guitar Center. How's that bad?

Problem is, they're really not any competition. They don't offer anything different and a lot less of it, at prices that are pretty much the same. They only have these in a relative few BB stores.

If they REALLY wanted to compete with the GCs and SAs of the world, they would need something different or a good hook to bring the customers in. Maybe some product lines the other stores don't normally carry, or models usually not displayed at the other stores, special sales, etc.

I will say this again: as much as many of us bitch/have bitched about GC over the years, for the most part they still blow away most other brick-and-mortar stores.

I was really looking forward to the BBMI departments when they were first announced, hoping that they WOULD offer a nice alternative. They have failed.

• Members

I like them.

I just stop in to buy strings every so often, but when I do, it's a much nicer experience than guitar center. The best buy employees leave me alone but answer any questions without being tools. Prices are good too... the local Best Buy has Fender PRRIs for $660. I'm tempted every time I see them.

• Members

The only music store where I live has high prices, but a wide selection, assuming you want a Strat. I've bought every guitar I've ever owned online, but I hate not trying out something before I buy. If the bestbuy near me started selling stuff besides those hannah montana telecasters, I would be glad for some extra selection.

• Members

I don't get the best buy hate. Generally they have better prices than both my mom and pop and GC. American Standards for 849, Billy corgan model knocked down from 1500 to 999, Classic Series guitars knocked down from 720 to 540.. I even got some Ernie ball strings there the other day for about 2.50 a pack

Archived