So, Clapton sells phones now?

Flogger59

• Members

I only get miffed at stars hawking {censored} when it's geared towards kids. No worries then with Clapton; his demographic is 50y.o.+ lawyers.

Well, I have to agree on this one ...

And sure, it's crass, but its just they way the world is. I have nothing against whores, there's no shame in being a whore, there is only shame in being a CHEAP whore. :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Holy cow. Getting paid to show off a cool looking phone is hardly selling out. It doesn't make the music sound or mean anything less than what it is.

For fun, listen for Sheryl Crow's "You're an Original" getting played on car commercials. They leave out the last line of the chorus:

You're an original, baby

Like we've never seen before

You're an original, baby

Turn around and you're looking at a hundred more

It's funny because omitting that line removes the sarcasm of the chorus, but that's not selling out either.

Selling out would be playing "Give Peace a Chance" over a commercial for a company like Raytheon or Lockheed Martin.

• Members

Where did you get that from my post? Did I state that the rich lack all sense of altruism? Did I say that Clapton ONLY did it for the tax receipt? When I volunteer my time to spend with disabled children, am I doing it for the tax receipt? Here's a flash, I don't get one.

I do it because it is its' own reward. I'm sure that Eric feels good about his work, and the double tax receipt is a nice bonus. Many times when a wealthy person donates an expensive item to be auctioned for charity, they themselves purchase the item back, usually on an accountant's advice. "Look, you can write a cheque for $1,000,000, or you can donate the Matisse over there, and buy it back for the same million, thereby garnering two tax credits."

BTW I edited your post, but I'll leave it to you to find the corrections.

"but it's the rich folks kind of charity work." and those things about taxes and credits made me think that way(that they do it just because they could get those tax credits or something),and I might be wrong,but you wrote it that way.You just mentioned taxes,not that he raised that money for some cause.

So what item did he purchased back?Blackie?Brownie?ES-335?Crash guitars?Martins?Which one?Those were the most expensive ones.

All the money went to the Crossroads centre,which helps those who need help(cos someone helped Clapton,when he needed help,that's why he opened that Centre) .that's the point,why always trying to find something hidden or behind everything that someone famous do,whether it's some auction,or a concert to help someone,or something so simple as a commercial.

• Members

Yeah, but it's not like Eric is hurting for guitars. I'm sure he didn't sell all of them except Blackie and have to borrow a guitar to play a show. These rock stars can stand to purge their bloated collections now and then. But it was for a good cause so good for him.

BTW, do you think Clapton plays "Cocaine" when he's doing benefit concerts for his rehab charity?

As a matter of fact, I saw Clapton perform at a recovery convention I attended some years back. He played for free by the way. Anyway, the show was great and his encore was Cocaine. If you didn't know, it's a anti drug song. The lyrics are about drug addiction.

"She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie"

• Members

"but it's the rich folks kind of charity work." and those things about taxes and credits made me think that way(that they do it just because they could get those tax credits or something),and I might be wrong,but you wrote it that way.You just mentioned taxes,not that he raised that money for some cause.

So what item did he purchased back?Blackie?Brownie?ES-335?Crash guitars?Martins?Which one?Those were the most expensive ones.

All the money went to the Crossroads centre,which helps those who need help(cos someone helped Clapton,when he needed help,that's why he opened that Centre) .that's the point,why always trying to find something hidden or behind everything that someone famous do,whether it's some auction,or a concert to help someone,or something so simple as a commercial.

The system ate my finely nuanced reply with links to some articles. *Bad system! Don't eat my homework again!* The upshot was that Clapton's two auctions raised $12 million for the Crossroads Center (which, being in Antigua, is likely not for your average street junky. "Non-profit" does not mean "free"), and GC got the most important pieces, which have all been reissued by the respective manufacturers. What EC does with the royalties on those sales, I dunno.

Where did I get my info on him buying them back? It was in a conversation that I had with a former bandmate (not sideman) of his at NAMM one year between the two auctions.

And lastly: "The very rich are different than you or I". F. Scott Fitzgerald

• Members

I had never know this , in fact i had never thought the song was "pro" or "anti" but merely a song that was a reflection on a part of his life and maybe the social culture he was immersed in at one time, I will have to pay more attention to the words and how he sings them from now on...

It's not his song, it's a JJ Cale song.

Archived