So, Clapton sells phones now?

Flogger59

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That phone annoys me. Let's see, take a phone that was released last summer and was kind of outdated when it was released, and rebrand it with Fender (granted i think the phone looks cool), and re-release it 8 months later. Brilliant. So now you have a phone that's on par with a 2008 iPhone, that you're paying more for in 2010, and will have to sign a 2-year contract for. Meantime, T-Mobile has 3 newer Android phones they could have done this to. :facepalm:

• Members

I believe they have more then proven themselves musically and have been in music for so long that they have the right to be able to endorse and make some extra money. They have built up their reputations and names to a point that they can make money as recognizable entities.

It is business after all. I don't know anyone that would turn down the offer to make extra money on a project they like.

Are you that wealthy that you can turn down money when offered to you? I'm not.

• Members

yea its not like clapton was a great song writer and a brilliant guitarist.. who kinda brough the blues back to rock and roll.. paying tribute to the greats..

o wait..

HE DID..

put the hate stick away.. EC has earned any endorsement he wishes to make..

• Members

I believe they have more then proven themselves musically and have been in music for so long that they have the right to be able to endorse and make some extra money. They have built up their reputations and names to a point that they can make money as recognizable entities.

It is business after all. I don't know anyone that would turn down the offer to make extra money on a project they like.

Are you that wealthy that you can turn down money when offered to you? I'm not.

Well said! I never understood why EC gets so much hate here.

• Members

Well said! I never understood why EC gets so much hate here.

No EC hate here, just as no LZ hate for the Caddy ad, or Buddy Guy hate, for that matter. I've given them all a lot of money for their product, and quite happily, I might add. It struck me when I saw it for the first time last night, but then EC has had corporate sponsorship since the Bud days of the 80's. As a matter of fact I think that he was a pioneer of that phenomenon. I'm just waiting for Neil Young to turn up singing "This phone's for you!"

• Members

No EC hate here, just as no LZ hate for the Caddy ad, or Buddy Guy hate, for that matter. I've given them all a lot of money for their product, and quite happily, I might add. It struck me when I saw it for the first time last night, but then EC has had corporate sponsorship since the Bud days of the 80's. As a matter of fact I think that he was a pioneer of that phenomenon. I'm just waiting for Neil Young to turn up singing "This phone's for you!"

Then I don't understand what you meant by "dragging Buddy Guy down with him".

I don't have any issues with classic rock being used for commercials. It introduces newer generations to some stuff they may never have been exposed to. {censored} I don't have any issues with new rock being used I either. I discovered some cool stuff that way too.

BTW EC's comercial for Bud Lite was awesome back in the day. It had that slowed down funked up version of After Midnight. I never really understood Neil Young's anti sponsorship stance.

• Members

I haven't seen it...
kinda sad
to think EC has become a hawker for phones. I'll bet the money is good, tho

Wtf? Why should it be sad that anyone endorses anything? Like you said, the money is good, and that "selling out" crap is total bull{censored}.

As long as it's not endorsing baby whale meat or a book called "How to Cheat on Your Wife: The Tiger Woods Way" or anything like that, I don't understand why people would look down on it.

• Members

Wtf? Why should it be sad that anyone endorses anything? Like you said, the money is good, and that "selling out" crap is total bull{censored}.

As long as it's not endorsing baby whale meat or a book called "How to Cheat on Your Wife: The Tiger Woods Way" or anything like that, I don't understand why people would look down on it.

I'm not looking down on it. I just get really tired of seeing people hawk goods. The company is pointing at a demographic to sell to, but I doubt that EC is the right guy for the job (or buddy guy, for that matter). Hucksterism is getting really old... time to move on. As for EC, I'm sure he did it for the money (and the free phone), but it's not going to help his image or sell more records.

• Members

Well, I guess that I'm old enough to remeber the old "Down With The Establishment" movement that permeated music in the 60s and 70s. Times change, some things about me don't. I realize that tour support is critical for the financial success of the venture. I have my tickets for Beck/Clapton, but I'm wondering if Jeff will be tapped for an ad, too. Not likely, as his brand equity isn't on the same plane as Clapton's to the general public.

• Members

Anybody see the ad with Clapton pushing a special edition flametop phone? He drags Buddy Guy down with him, too.

Clapton is one of my biggest inspirations for sure,but I could have done without seeing this crap.WTF! Selling out pisses me off.

Archived