2x4 slide guitar??? (terrible build inside!)

Elias

• Members

The answer to the question that no one was asking is 'yes, it can be done'.

Warning: if you are a fan of beautiful woodworking and craftsmanship, I'd suggest you either lower your standards for a few minutes or just stop reading now... this thing is ugly as sin.:facepalm:

I guess this was inspired in equal parts by the thing Jack White builds in the intro to It Might Get Loud, and by seeing the beautiful instruments Quarter has built and wanting to give lap steels a try. (Hopefully it's not an insult to Quarter to say that his work inspired this!)

I had all the parts laying around from an LP build that I've had to put on hold and figured why not whip something up and put them to use. I grabbed a 2x4 and spent about 90 minutes with a drill, a router, and a handsaw and created this:

DSCF1653.jpg

Yes, this really is a complete hack job. I can honestly say that it's ugly on purpose.

DSCF1656.jpg

It's a miracle that the tailpiece actually stays in, and yes that is masking tape holding the volume pot in place.

DSCF1662.jpg

The pickup is a killer P-90 from bg-pups.com, and it honestly deserves a much better fate than to spend it's life in this abomination.

DSCF1665.jpg

I've got the thing tuned to open A at the moment and have had a blast busting out some really sloppy blues riffs. This thing honestly doesn't sound that bad, but all the credit for that needs to go to the pickup.

Feel free to ridicule this as much as you want! Besides the shoddy workmanship, there are some really stupid design flaws (the tailpiece, the tuners touch the floor when I lay it down, etc...). Oh well, this was nothing more than a fun way to spend some time as well as a cheap way to try my hand at playing some lap steel. Eventually all the parts will be reclaimed and find a proper home, but in the meantime I'm actually enjoying this monstrosity!

• Members

Thanks guys, the reception has been a lot warmer than I had anticipated!

Total build time was maybe two hours with wiring, and maybe another twenty minutes to mark the lines with a sharpie.

Total cost was probably about $150, although there is no way anyone in their right mind would spend more than $20 to buy one of these!

I really don't have a good point of reference as to how it sounds. I like the sound enough to enjoy playing it, but that's as all I can say.

I would love to see what you guys could come up with for cheap and easy lap steel builds... there could be some interesting variations on this theme!

• Members

DSCF1656.jpg

Locking tuners (Gotoh?)!

Flat-wound strings. I know nothing about lap-steels: Is that the norm for this type of instrument?

When I get access to a camera I'll post my, "To much time/not enough money" DIY build that came-about from some donated 3/4" x 3 1/2" Poplar, and pieces from Maple furniture that were destined for the bonfire.

Up until now I had been to embarrassed to show it, but you've given me inspiration to come out of the closet!

• Members
Thanks guys, the reception has been a lot warmer than I had anticipated!

Total build time was maybe two hours with wiring, and maybe another twenty minutes to mark the lines with a sharpie.

Total cost was probably about $150, although there is no way anyone in their right mind would spend more than $20 to buy one of these!

I really don't have a good point of reference as to how it sounds. I like the sound enough to enjoy playing it, but that's as all I can say.

I would love to see what you guys could come up with for cheap and easy lap steel builds... there could be some interesting variations on this theme!

Don't let Wal Mart get a hold of it!

Archived