Do most musicians really need half stacks?

emotart

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every single one of these bands sounds like garbage... 1000 stacks to sound like crap is hardly worth it. Volume doesnt equal tone... its how you push the preamps and tubes... this is just compensation or due to the fact that they're all now deaf..

:rolleyes::facepalm:

• Members

Like a lot of guys, I use a 1960A. The main reasons:

1) It was cheap

2) It sounds good (Closed-back, lots of low-end punch)

3) It has wheels

4) My Bogner head fits on top of it

If there were an XTC 1x12 or 2x12 combo with wheels, I would be using one and not carrying the 1960.

Volume ain't the issue, and that's not a good reason to use a 4x12. If you're louder than the unmic'd drums, you're too loud. In the past, I've done big venues (outdoor festivals, large clubs) with a 30W tube head and been completely satisfied. In fact, a half-stack with a low-wattage head is a pretty good solution.

The only problem is that a half-stack in a small club is a bit like a red Ferrari on the Interstate. Half of the sound guys out there will assume that you're too loud before you even turn it on.:facepalm:

• Members

Like a lot of guys, I use a 1960A. The main reasons:

1) It was cheap

2) It sounds good (Closed-back, lots of low-end punch)

3) It has wheels

4) My Bogner head fits on top of it

If there were an XTC 1x12 or 2x12 combo with wheels, I would be using one and not carrying the 1960.

Volume ain't the issue, and that's not a good reason to use a 4x12. If you're louder than the unmic'd drums, you're too loud. In the past, I've done big venues (outdoor festivals, large clubs) with a 30W tube head and been completely satisfied. In fact, a half-stack with a low-wattage head is a pretty good solution.

The only problem is that a half-stack in a small club is a bit like a red Ferrari on the Interstate. Half of the sound guys out there will assume that you're too loud before you even turn it on
:facepalm:

I've seen bands booted from clubs before they even played a single note because the manager said they brought too much gear.

• Members

I like a half stack for the on-stage 'size' instead of 'volume'. But
with all the in-ear monitoring,
you can get away with next to nothing and have more room on stage. Plus you don't have to haul half a fridge!

Jeezus. This guy gigs in the lap of luxury.

• Members
I've seen bands booted from clubs before they even played a single note because the manager said they brought too much gear.

well that's pretty stupid, isn't it? I bring 2 of them in to all my gigs with the full band and have never been told that, before or after the show.

Archived