Do most musicians really need half stacks?

emotart

• Members

Very true I know of 2 famous bands that have done exactly this..they are Bon Jovi and Ocean Colour Scene. They had big stacks on stage. And guess what was behind with a mic in front? A little piddly fender tweed 1x12.
:lol:

Brian May is famous for this. I've seen Queen with probably the BIGGEST wall of Vox cabs ever, and he's only got three AC30 combos mic'd up and turned on.

queen_Vox-ac-30.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bald people are fine with Microcube's mic'd.....

Or line-out'ed into the PA, bypassing the speaker which is, frankly, not the Micro's best feature. It's what I use for 'acoustic' jobs ... proper band gigs get the Super Reverb ... 45w of 4x10 goodness. Maybe one day I'll have a gig which'll require something bigger or louder, but somehow I doubt it.

*not bald, BTW -- just cropped VERY SHORT.*

Incidentally, the first time I saw Rory Gallagher -- at an open-air festival back when he was still with Taste -- the bassist had a full Marshall stack, and Rory an AC30.

• Members
Yes, I have an LA Custom Shop Cabriolet - it's pretty much amazing
:love:

I think we've swapped love stories about our Cabrios before....isn't yours blue?

I guess so...haha... Yup, mine's blue as hell. Wasnt the one I wanted, but they had a wall of the Cabriolets and this one played/sounded the best. Totally pissed off the store guys. I literally sat there for 2 hours trying them all out. Multiple amps, EVERY Starfield they had off the wall...it was hilarious. I guess it was good I actually bought one or they probably would've lynched me outside... ;)

The velcro is for my GR synth pickup and I put my Hungarian crest on it.

IMG_3956-1.jpg

• Members

... 1000 stacks to sound like crap is hardly worth it. Volume doesnt equal tone... its how you push the preamps and tubes... this is just compensation or due to the fact that they're all now deaf..

You go and tell that to fellow HC Forum members, from Ol Scratch :facepalm:

PS : I for one, LOVE Electric Wizard's tone.

• Members

It depends on your style. I need a lot of clean headroom, so it amuses me when people advise the use of things like Blues Juniors saying "Oh yeah, it can hang with a drummer". Well unless you're happy with a fuzzy mush, I'm sorry, it can't.
It's ironic that my country/rockabilly gigs need lots of power, but the metal guys can gig with practice amps.

• Members

I am thinking about playing out again, but I don't want to purchase a HUGE half stack that I won't have room for in my apartment. Most venues mic up the amps anyway, so it got me thinking...

I could run a 30-50 watt combo or head and 2x12 cab and be fine or am I far from correct?

The reason I ask, is because I remember venues sound checking and having me run my 110 watt head at like 3 tops, which was frustrating. I think the loudest I ever had it in a live gig was at 5. That's what made me think I could run a much smaller set up and be just as efficient.

99% of the time you'll be in a practice space.

• Members

I guess so...haha... Yup, mine's blue as hell. Wasnt the one I wanted, but they had a wall of the Cabriolets and this one played/sounded the best. Totally pissed off the store guys. I literally sat there for 2 hours trying them all out. Multiple amps, EVERY Starfield they had off the wall...it was hilarious. I guess it was good I actually bought one or they probably would've lynched me outside...
;)

Where was this store? A wall full of Cabrios would be like a wet dream for me :lol:

I assume this was a long time ago....

Here's mine:

IMG_0109.jpg

• Members

other than maybe the rented hall, a basement or garage is hardly a real gig. And overally you are very much the exception to the rule. Its a rarity to not run the instruments thru the mains these days, thankfully.

Disagree. Not sure what type of music your into, but 90% when I go it's to see see hardcore punk bands. Even for touring bands that are pretty popular within the scene, it's not unreasonable at all to see them in a Legion Hall, garage, or basement.

Not sure what you consider a "real gig," but some of the best shows I've ever seen were with 30 kids, and a {censored}ty pa that can barely handle the vocals, nonetheless guitars and bass.

• Members

It depends on your style. I need a lot of clean headroom, so it amuses me when people advise the use of things like Blues Juniors saying "Oh yeah, it can hang with a drummer". Well unless you're happy with a fuzzy mush, I'm sorry, it can't.

It's ironic that my country/rockabilly gigs need lots of power, but the metal guys can gig with practice amps.

There is some truth there. If you're looking to have a clean tone at a louder volume, THAT's where the necessity for a higher wattage amp comes in. The higher the wattage is actually a mark for how loud an amp can get before breaking up.

So (technically) for heavier distortion, you should really (or at least, ideally) be using a lower wattage amp that breaks up nice at a lower volume to get the most out of your amp, while a guy who plays cleaner, more responsive types of music (country, latin, etc) would require more headroom and louder clean volume for getting the guitar over the band.

I, myself, have been playin alot lately with latin, americana, R&B/gospel and jamband type artists and have been using mostly 30 or 50 watt amps for gigs ranging from 200 to 10,000 people venues. Most of the bands are inherently lower on stage volume so anything larger than that would destroy the balance of the instruments on stage, but those amps are definitely powerful enough to cut thru when things ramp up a bit.

My blues jr is good for some bar gigs or smaller clubs... but normally, yeah, it would mush up when things get crazy. It's only 15 watts, whattya expect.

• Members
Every single one of these bands sounds like garbage... 1000 stacks to sound like crap is hardly worth it. Volume doesnt equal tone... its how you push the preamps and tubes... this is just compensation or due to the fact that they're all now deaf..

I will forgive your crack-induced infraction this time. But, from this point forward, you must respect the fuzz :cop:

• Members

Where was this store? A wall full of Cabrios would be like a wet dream for me
:lol:

I assume this was a long time ago....

Amazingly enough, one of the not so great stores in NJ... Freehold Music. Must've been '95, they had 14 Cabriolets at one time. Mostly all flaky grey, some blue, and one this horrid pinkish/red color.. They tried selling them all at first for $1100. I got mine when they werent selling and the store marked them all down to $499. You can get 'em used for $500 or less now.

• Members

Yeah same here. I play a lot of country so I need clean headroom. Anything less than my Peavey Classic 30 isn't going to work for me. And even that amp lacks clean headroom.

I love using my Marshall 1/2 stack at gigs. I admit... I totally don't need it. But It sounds great even at moderate volumes.

I use a volume pedal in my effects loop on all my gigs so I have instantaneous control over my amp's overall volume. I keep it down most of the time..... but when I really need a riff to come through or my solo to really stick out, I kick up that volume pedal and I have all the power I need.

My 4x12 1960AV cab is easier to move around than my 2x12 Lopoline cab cause it has wheels.

However...... lately I'm playing in this country band that is very adamant about low stage volume....... and they have an AWESOME soundman.

So I bring my Classic 30 and barely have it up and the soundman CRANKS my guitar out front. I can hear it coming out of the mains more almost more than I can hear my actual amp. I love that! :thu:

I have this other rock band I'm working with though and it's a lot of classic rock and new stuff like Foo Fighters and Muse and I bring my Marshall half stack to those gigs.

No.... I don't need a halfstack for any of my gigs..... but I love it!! :)

• Members

I don't think we're really the best group of people to be asking about whether or not equipment is needed.

There really is something to be said for four 12" speakers moving air when you're going for a guitar-heavy sound, but the logistics behind a full-size amp rig like that gets *real* tiring after the first few times out.

• Members

I like the sound of a 2x12 combo or 2x12 cab the best...a half/full stack is overkill for what I do. Now, if I had a roadie crew....:D That would be a different story...

Well...and large enough shows to use one...my rig would probably look about like this...

wall_20o_20marshalls.jpg

:D

• Members

I love rockabilly

dsc06078largedx1.jpg

. . . such a nice low key genre :evil:

Archived