Do most musicians really need half stacks?

emotart

• Members

ok - someone recommend me a good combo amp that doesn't sound like ASS for less than $450.00 - new or used.

I haven't seen or heard one but you can get a head for 400.00 and a cab for 450.00 or vice versa - total cost is $900.00 but I can buy one piece at a time.

lots of them.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ok - someone recommend me a good combo amp that doesn't sound like ASS for less than $450.00 - new or used.

I haven't seen or heard one but you can get a head for 400.00 and a cab for 450.00 or vice versa - total cost is $900.00 but I can buy one piece at a time.

There are tons of combos or "mini" stacks for that price, especially used. However, I don't know what half stack you can find for $900, but I was running a VK100 and a Triple X cab and I spent more than that getting an employee discount at the store I worked for... I was thinking about getting an AC15 of something of that nature.

• Members

A 2x12 50w tube amp can do any gig IMO. 100w is only ever necessary when you want massive loud cleans without break up. Most rock guys WANT break up...so 30-50w is better. And if your playing with a 4x12 you get more perceived volume. Which means you dont get to turn it up as much as a 1 or 2 x12. Which means you work the power tubes less.

Does the term "EGO STACKS" have any meaning to you?

• Members

jet city or blackstar

• Members

but I was running a VK100 and a Triple X cab and I spent more than that getting an employee discount at the store I worked for... I was thinking about getting an AC15 of something of that nature.

JCM 900s all day long in the used sector. Hell, I got my JCM 800 head for $420 (granted, I put $200+ in TLC, but I could have gotten by without).

How many "musicians" NEED more than a single budget guitar that has a modicum of quality, but zero options whatsoever? While one may argue that X is more necessary than Y, the point is along the same lines that most "musicians" can get by just fine on a melody maker for a live setting. Granted, there is no expensive guitars are 3 times harder to haul and you never get to use full potential arguments, but tone and stage presence all play important roles. How NECESSARY those roles are falls on the individual player.

• Members

There are tons of combos or "mini" stacks for that price, especially used. However, I don't know what half stack you can find for $900, but I was running a VK100 and a Triple X cab and I spent more than that getting an employee discount at the store I worked for... I was thinking about getting an AC15 of something of that nature.

Try the VK112. You can get them used cheap, drop a Hellatone in it and you're gold. I run a Super Champ XD into a 2x12 for a lot of Blues gigs. 15 watts is plenty loud pushing two twelves.

• Members

Nope. I think everybody that ever gigs - especially the younger folk - goes through a phase of THINKING they need it. It's very rarely more than just a want.

I was usually the only guy in the lineup at any show who had a rack and a 2x12. But you know what? Everything is mic'd anyway if the venue is worth a damn and most times, my rig blew everyone else's half stack out of the water as far as tone goes.

So no.

• Members

You can basically use anything. We've only played shows with sound support so they get miced anyway. The guitar player uses a half stack and when I play guitar I used my 5150 combo. Usually turned to around 3. Which is loud but nothing crazy for the small clubs we play 100-200 people type places.

• Members

I am thinking about playing out again, but I don't want to purchase a HUGE half stack that I won't have room for in my apartment. Most venues mic up the amps anyway, so it got me thinking...

I could run a 30-50 watt combo or head and 2x12 cab and be fine or am I far from correct?

The reason I ask, is because I remember venues sound checking and having me run my 110 watt head at like 3 tops, which was frustrating. I think the loudest I ever had it in a live gig was at 5. That's what made me think I could run a much smaller set up and be just as efficient.

Even 30-50 is overkill often, and certainly not necessary

Your palamino would be perfect, crank it and mic it:thu:

• Members

No. They need full stacks. It's not so much about cranking the amp, as filling the room. At least for me, 98% of the shows I've ever played have been in a basement, garage, or rented hall. Micing amps is not an option, and a 1x12 combo on the floor isn't going to fill the space. 8 12's however, will. Not to say I've ever used a full stack, but when bands use them, they don't necessarily have to crank them up. I've seen bands play with full stacks, and it wasn't deafening, but added to their atmosphere, and really increased how good of a show it was by filling the room with sound. In short, yes even half stacks are completely unnecessary, but sometimes having the extra speakers can make a good band sound even richer and fuller.

• Members

JCM 900s all day long in the used sector. Hell, I got my JCM 800 head for $420 (granted, I put $200+ in TLC, but I could have gotten by without).

I lost track of this somewhere, but if you are saying that I can find a clean JCM 900 head for under $450, you're another one of those forumites who seems to be living in a warped economy. They may have OPENING BIDS of $450, but they typically go for around $700.

• Members
No. They need full stacks. It's not so much about cranking the amp, as filling the room. At least for me, 98% of the shows I've ever played have been in a basement, garage, or rented hall. Micing amps is not an option, and a 1x12 combo on the floor isn't going to fill the space. 8 12's however, will. Not to say I've ever used a full stack, but when bands use them, they don't necessarily have to crank them up. I've seen bands play with full stacks, and it wasn't deafening, but added to their atmosphere, and really increased how good of a show it was by filling the room with sound. In short, yes even half stacks are completely unnecessary, but sometimes having the extra speakers can make a good band sound even richer and fuller.

other than maybe the rented hall, a basement or garage is hardly a real gig. And overally you are very much the exception to the rule. Its a rarity to not run the instruments thru the mains these days, thankfully.

• Members

Two weeks ago Saturday, I played an indie rock show at a small club (150+) with my Orange Tiny Terror and a Peavey 2x12. Set it on the 7-watt setting and pushed the volume and gain to the sweet spot (both at the 1 o' clock setting). I got a nice gritty clean tone that went over the top when I stomped on my Plexitube. Got an absolutely raging tone without killing everyone else onstage or in the club.

• Members

It's more about not wanting to lug all the crap around at the venue, fine a place in my apartment to store it and transport to and from the venue.

I had recently left my band in Chicago and moved right outside NYC. However, when I return home and they have a show, the plan is to hop on and sorta guest appear. I don't want to be spending $2000 on an amp I will rarely use, however I don't mind getting a little 30-50 watt tube set up to use for that and even for recording purposes in my apartment.

dare i say, axe-fx?

Archived