Tracks for a "greatest blues guitar" album.

doc oc

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Additional recommendation, yank any BB King stuff you might need off of Live in Cook County Jail, there's some amazing stuff on there. Even bits and pieces of controlled feedback. By BB King! Kinda surprised me a lot.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Definitely -- with the proviso that you use the 'British' version (from the original UK edition of Are You Experienced), rather than the 'American' version (which was, IIRC, issued on the US version of Smash Hits). The AYE take features funkier and more focussed playing, minus the irritating and superfluous delay effects which simply detract from the performance.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

...is by far the better of the two studio versions of this track released on AYE?

• Members
Somebody beat you to it, and this would be hard to beat (been in heavy rotation for me for over ten years):

f764225b9da011878d4ab010.L.jpg

:thu:
I LOVE that one, but there are also plenty of great box sets outside of the Chess catalog.
There's even a "Blues Guitar Heroes" double CD, with Luther Allison, Duke Robillard, and many others. It includes Gary Moore as well, and as much as I like his playing, for the most part I don't like his blues playing.

• Members

Just off of the top of my head (Not exhaustive or in any particular order):

Rattlesnake Shake (live) - Fleetwood Mac
When The Levee Breaks - Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie
Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters
Look On Yonder Wall - Elmore James
Spoonful - Howlin' Wolf
Crossroads - Cream
Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Leadbelly
Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker
Hell Hound On My Trail - Robert Johnson
Sick Bed Blues - Skip James
Death Letter - Son House
Your Funeral and My Trial - Sonny Boy Williamson
It's My Own Fault - B.B. King
Sitting On Top Of The World - Howlin' Wolf

...and many more!

• Members

Albert King - Got To Be Some Changes Made (Wattstax) from the "Blues At Sunset (Live At Wattstax And Montreux)" album. Mindblowing.

Buddy Guy - Man Of Many Words from the Buddy Guy and Junior Wells "Play The Blues Album". Buddy's most all out solo.

Johnny Winter - "Be Careful With A Fool" or "Rock Me Baby"

Archived