emg's question

mylilss

• Members

my esp is equipped with emg 85's in both positions .. i know they make an emg 60/81/85 series pickup maybe more but i havent heard of them ... i was curious which one was the better bridge pickup for meta/ hard rock? like which one out of all of there pups is the hottest ??

• Members

81 is the standard currency for an active bridge pup. I have had 3 guitars with the 81 sitting there, and that's what they were made for. In the past couple of years, there has been a 85/81 swap fad where they put the 85N in the bridge and the 81B in the neck. They seem to love it, but I think the results MAY be misleading. Either way, an 81 or an 85 will get you there but the 85 has fail written all over it. Anybody considering an 85 should be getting an 89 anyway for versatility.

The 81s are easier to come by used and probably easier to sell off if you don't like. The 85s are fine too but you should get an 89 instead of the 85 and I think the 60s blow goats.

• Members

i got a les paul copy with a 89 EMG in the bridge and a regular passive humbucker in the neck,,,

I like the emg , but when it goes into single coil its a bit weak so i usually boost it with a compressor,

im also not to keen on the sound when the emg and the regular passive humbucker are on together,,,im not sure about emg's wiring method on this but it sorta seems like the EMG 89 overrides the regular passive humbucker when their both on at the same time ?

the ideal way to have this pickup would be so that i could put the emg into single coil mode and tap one of the coils of the passive neck pickup so that i could get a mock tele tone happening, but its not quite happening right now :idk:

none the less i love its tone by itself , its unique for both clean and high gain stuff :thu: , if i could figure out a way to better get it and the passive neck humbucker to better blend together then I'd be 100 percent happy instead of only 89 percent happy with it :)

Archived