Info on Yamaha SBG-3000 (80's)

guitarzern

• Members

Last bump, before guitar arrives, by Thursday I hope.

I'll post a pic if ya like.

Thanks again for your info guys!

:thu:

Start a new thread when you have pics of the guitar, and fire in a copy of it to the Yamaholics thread (in my sig), please.

If you have the capability to record a clip, that would be wonderful :)

• Members

Yes, start an NGD thread and alert the yammos in Scotty's sig thread. With an SG3000, you are most likely to become a hopeless Yamaholic (like us) and you'll be welcome in our select company!
:)

NGD thread ?? New Guitar somethin....sorry, newb here.

Pics asap. Still waiting to hear from the seller as far as tracking number goes etc......this is a most difficult WAIT !!!!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

SG3000, symbolized by silky rich sustain and fully matured woody tone, is unquestionably the top of the line of SG series.

While a combination of unique T-Cross Maple structure and covered humbuckers creates it superb sound, the stunning appearance featuring abalone bindings gives impressive presence at glance.

Features

• Members

I played one of the reissues and it's just as stunning as the originals because Yamaha in Japan never stopped making them (at least for the Japanese market): the recent

reissues was a special import of 40 for the 40th anniversary of Yamaha making electric guitars. You can still buy them thru places like Ishibashi or whatnot. But they're

not cheap.

Thinking: if I'd had the money for the reissue (it was #12 of 40) and someone else had already put down a partial payment for it. It was quite

a stunning instrument.

Another great Japanese guitar from the 80s still being made in limited quantities is the Ibanez Artist AR300 series but that's a guitar for another thread.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Finally a couple of pics. I got really put off by the deal and forgot about this thread. I had paid this guy top dollar for this (probably) 1984 model. When it arrived, it obviously wasn't packed really well. The toggle switch was smashed and it had torn the interior of the brand new $110 case I bought for it. It was also not "pristine" like the seller had said. The dings on the back corners of the headstock really pissed me off. Some of hardware was much more worn than his pictures had represented. Even though this guy had something like 2000 posts on errrrrr, another guitar forum, and I had spoken with him on the phone a few times, he was a little dishonest. And for some reason the bridge pickup is a little weak compared to the neck. Nonetheless, I feel like I have an old friend back!

Cheers!

DSC07456.jpg

DSC07457.jpg

• Members

Well that took some time!

Glad you posted pics.....sorry about your bad experience.

Nice 3000 anyway.....made me browse evilbay again....but my sbg2000 keeps me happy!

ps. I hear the spinex pups are very different from the higher output pups in the sbg2000....how do you like them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Oh you mean this......

104hjqv.jpg

Holy crap that's a beauty!!

Question for you 3000 owners please...

Do you notice a significant volume difference between the bridge and neck pickups?? my bridge pickup seems fairly weak compared to the neck. I hate to raise it any higher (and yes, this is without splitting the coil). I hope to hell I won't need to replace it, what a pain in the arse that would be, choosing the right substitute.

Thanks guys!!

• Members

bump for some input regarding my above question about the pickups.

thanks

I have no problem with the pup balance on my 2000, but the spinex pups are different so I couldn't tell you for sure. I believe the spinex are more of a vintage power output. I would doubt you would have problems with the pups on a high end Yammy like the 3000.

edit. I had my pups set too high initially....I needed to lower them quite a bit.....so you might actually be better off lowering the neck than raising the bridge to get them in balance.

• Members

I have no problem with the pup balance on my 2000, but the spinex pups are different so I couldn't tell you for sure. I believe the spinex are more of a vintage power output. I would doubt you would have problems with the pups on a high end Yammy like the 3000.

edit. I had my pups set too high initially....I needed to lower them quite a bit.....so you might actually be better off lowering the neck than raising the bridge to get them in balance.

Thanks man, yeah I was about to do that. Could I be a royal pain in the ass and ask you how yours are set? (distance) I'm not sure what is "normal" here...I'm just paranoid that something might be wrong with that old pickup!

Cheers,

Dave

• Members

Thanks man, yeah I was about to do that. Could I be a royal pain in the ass and ask you how yours are set? (distance) I'm not sure what is "normal" here...I'm just paranoid that something might be wrong with that old pickup!

Cheers,

Dave

the pups are much different in my 2000 than the 3000....so i can't be of much help.....i doubt there's anything wrong with them though. On mine the neck ended up pretty much flush with the cover....and adjust the bridge to match output.

Archived