Info on Yamaha SBG-3000 (80's)

guitarzern

• Members

FIRST POST!

I'm getting a 1984 SBG-3000 next week and I am looking for any and all information on this beastie. I think a member here even has an owner's manual. Any info would help, especially regarding the "Spinex" pickups.

THANKS !!!!!

• Members

Spinex is a type of steel Yamaha used in certain models' pickups (I have it in my SE700HEs) It is the same type of steel used to make accupunture needles.

Not sure what special powers it brings to the game, but what I DO know is that the pups on my guitar sound SWEEEEEET.

Congrats on your very foine guitar to be!!:thu::thu:

oh, & after playing that guitar, the pain in my shoulder mysteriously goes away. =)

• Members

Thanks for replies guys!! I read somewhere that spinex is some weird friggin material now used or formerly used by NASA....I'm not joking.

I'm really hoping to find an owners manual somewhere (copy). Would be mucho mucho appreciated!! OPinions welcome as well of course.

Thanks again

• Members

Thanks for replies guys!! I read somewhere that spinex is some weird friggin material now used or formerly used by NASA....
I'm not joking

I'm really hoping to find an owners manual somewhere (copy). Would be mucho mucho appreciated!! OPinions welcome as well of course.

Thanks again

hey..I wasn't kiddin'.

http://www.dulwichacupuncture.com/product_info.php?products_id=210

• Members

FIRST POST!

I'm getting a 1984 SBG-3000 next week and I am looking for any and all information on this beastie. I think a member here even has an owner's manual. Any info would help, especially regarding the "Spinex" pickups.

THANKS !!!!!

Spinex is what the magnets in the SG3000 are made of. From what I can gather the output on Spinex pickups is around 8.0k DC, as opposed to the higher output alnico V pickups on the SG2000. The Spinex pickup produces a more 'vintage' tone than the Yamaha alnico V 's. The pickups can both be split.

The SG3000 is a neck through design, but has solid mahogany wings, unlike the SG2000 which uses the mahogany/maple construction wings.

As far as I know the SG3000 doesn't have the brass sustain plate under the bridge that the SG2000 has.

15:1 ratio adjustable tuners are used on the SG3000. Basically they have an adjustable screw that allows you to tighten or loosen the tuners turning resistance.

The upshot is that the SG3000 has more of a smooth, traditional LP tone than the SG2000, which has a distinctively aggressive, biting tone when pushed on the bridge pickup.

Hope that helps a little.

The link to the Yamaholics page in my sig might interest you as well :)

• Members

I've seen and played examples of the SG2000, but I'm afraid I've never even heard of the SBG3000 before. Is it a fairly obscure model???

Me neither, but I just recently became interested in the 2000. I've bid on a couple of them, but they are going for stupid money right now.

• Members

So, are those plastic covers over the pups?

Should they be removed?

THanks!

Spinex is what the magnets in the SG3000 are made of. From what I can gather the output on Spinex pickups is around 8.0k DC, as opposed to the higher output alnico V pickups on the SG2000. The Spinex pickup produces a more 'vintage' tone than the Yamaha alnico V 's. The pickups can both be split.

The SG3000 is a neck through design, but has solid mahogany wings, unlike the SG2000 which uses the mahogany/maple construction wings.

As far as I know the SG3000 doesn't have the brass sustain plate under the bridge that the SG2000 has.

15:1 ratio adjustable tuners are used on the SG3000. Basically they have an adjustable screw that allows you to tighten or loosen the tuners turning resistance.

The upshot is that the SG3000 has more of a smooth, traditional LP tone than the SG2000, which has a distinctively aggressive, biting tone when pushed on the bridge pickup.

Hope that helps a little.

The link to the Yamaholics page in my sig might interest you as well
:)

• Members

when I got my SA2200 a few ago now I`d mailed Yamaha to ask about the p`ups `cause the catalogs used to mention something about being made in USA...they replied, the magnets and wiring was MIA, no mention of NASA but then again I didn`t ask... I printed out the reply and still have it. I have some old 80s Japanese guitar magazines and one has the brand new SG-3000...think it was `82 or `83...I`d have to check but I`m off to work right now so no time...so an `84 is one of the early ones. I`d buy one if I saw one at a reasonable price.

• Members

Me neither, but I just recently became interested in the 2000. I've bid on a couple of them, but they are going for stupid money right now.

I think that the cat is out of the bag as far as SG2000's are concerned Doc. I wouldn't give up though. It's an excellent guitar, and it has a voice all of it's own.

• Members

when I got my SA2200 a few ago now I`d mailed Yamaha to ask about the p`ups `cause the catalogs used to mention something about being made in USA...they replied, the magnets and wiring was MIA, no mention of NASA but then again I didn`t ask... I printed out the reply and still have it. I have some old 80s Japanese guitar magazines and one has the brand new SG-3000...think it was `82 or `83...I`d have to check but I`m off to work right now so no time...so an `84 is one of the early ones. I`d buy one if I saw one at a reasonable price.

The SA2200 doesn't have Spinex pickups. It has Yamaha alnico V's of some sort.

From what I've read the SG3000 was manufactured from 1983 to 1989.

• Members

My memory of the SGB3000 is that it's a 2000 with extra abalone inlays around the rime of the body, as well as a mix of MOP and abalone on the ebony fretboard. It had black metal pickup covers and sounded more "vintage" (and microphonic) than the 2000. The B designation was for the coil split option via the push-pull pots on the guitar. A sweet (very sweet) guitar, and one I'd like to own,one day.

• Members

My memory of the SGB3000 is that it's a 2000 with extra abalone inlays around the rime of the body, as well as a mix of MOP and abalone on the ebony fretboard. It had black metal pickup covers and sounded more "vintage" (and microphonic) than the 2000. The B designation was for the coil split option via the push-pull pots on the guitar. A sweet (very sweet) guitar, and one I'd like to own,one day.

I dunno Flogger. I don't think it was ever called an SGB3000? SBG3000 surely?

Everything I've read about Yamaha's SG series states that Yamaha changed the designation on export SG's to SBG, in 1980. This was due to legal pressure from Gibson. Non export Yamaha SG's retained that designation.

The change from non split pickups to splits was also introduced around the same time to further differentiate the guitar from the Gibson SG.

• Members

I dunno Flogger. I don't think it was ever called an SGB3000? SBG3000 surely?

Everything I've read about Yamaha's SG series states that Yamaha changed the designation on export SG's to SBG, in 1980. This was due to legal pressure from Gibson. Non export Yamaha SG's retained that designation.

The change from non split pickups to splits was also introduced around the same time to further differentiate the guitar from the Gibson SG.

The "B" I mentioned was in S"B"G3000, like the SBG2000. The coil splits( or taps) arrived with the new model designation, so at the time I assumed that the split feature was the reason for the name change.

• Members

Vintage Guitar had a good overview of the Yamaha SG line a few years ago.

http://www.vguitar.com/features/brands/details.asp?AID=1191

This is an excerpt from it.

"The Gibson Influence

In '79 or so Gibson began to object to Yamaha's use of the SG prefix. Gibson had already gone through the copy challenge of Ibanez in mid '77, so their objections may have even begun before that. In any case, in 1980 Yamaha changed the name of the guitar to the SBG-2000 in the U.S. In the U.K. (probably Canada and perhaps elsewhere outside of Japan) it became the SG-2000S. The name was not changed in Japan.

It appears Yamaha also modified the 2000's specs, probably to further differentiate it from Gibson models. The main difference was the addition of push/push coil taps on the volume pots, allowing for more tonal flexibility. One other change that had occurred by '80 was the elimination of the cross-grain centerpiece of maple in the top in favor of a single piece of maple.

By '82, the colors available in the U.S. were brown sunburst, cherry sunburst, black, and a deep green stain.

Altogether, this was a superb guitar. The SBG-2000 was sold in the U.S. through '84, after which it was transformed in to the SBG-2100. The SG-2000 was produced in Japan until regular production was stopped in '88."

• Members

I can't remember that guy, but all I know is that after this thread I have acute GAS for an SG3000, to go with my SG2000
:)

You ain't just a whistlin' dixie!

I'm mainly curious about the differences in pups....although I've always liked the pups in the sbg2000

Archived