OT: Someone just tried to break in to my house

Ferdinandstrat

• Members

i know the feeling.....the week before christmas.....i came home to find that i had been broken into and all my firearms were stolen. strangely.....my Les Paul, sitting in it's stand 5 feet inside the door......was not touched....nor were any of the other guitars....or the cameras......just the guns.

new 357 is on its way :thu:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Machete.

I keep it between the bottom of my amp and the top of my cab, with just the handle sticking out.

Also, I've got one in my truck, in the driver's side extended cab door frame. The handle sits next to the seat belt receiver, out of sight. I started keeping that one there after I was approached getting into my car.

$10-15 at your local hardware store. Sharpen to razor's edge with a dremel and a straight file.

If I was a criminal, the loss of an arm or hand would be a deterrent almost as significant as getting shot. Plus you leave unquestionable evidence, and make criminal line-ups easy as pie.

• Members

i know the feeling.....the week before christmas.....i came home to find that i had been broken into and all my firearms were stolen. strangely.....my Les Paul, sitting in it's stand 5 feet inside the door......was not touched....nor were any of the other guitars....or the cameras......just the guns.

new 357 is on its way
:thu:

Thanks for keeping the criminals armed. :facepalm:

Glad yer OK Ferd... I have a Tele you can borrow. Heavy bugger, too! :cop:

• Members

dogs and alarms.

The best advice I ever got.

Most intruders want a quiet in and out. Detect and make a noise is a no-no.

In places where they are likely to be armed I would be happier they took the stuff rather than get into a firefight/batfight/similar with someone who may be 100% wacko/wacked out.

• Members

Like I said, the 1911's I've shot were rentals from a range. So I don't know how they were maintained.

Yeah, range guns are always janky. Also with 1911s they always think getting a nice tight expensive gun will make it last a long time. They don't realize that 1911s run best when they're a little loose and rattly. They're just not designed to be super accurate target machines. They're fighting guns designed to hit a guy at 25 feet and under.

• Members

I doubt *that* dude will come back. Most gobblins take the path of least resistance. Now that you've seen him, he'll most likely put his efforts elsewhere.

However, the fact that your home or apartment was targeted means that you live in an area that's more susceptible to these kinds of things. Probably time to start thinking about either moving or getting some kind of home defense shotgun.

If you go with a shotgun, the one I recommend to everyone is this one: the Remington Marine Magnum Shotgun.

870marine_mag.jpg

It's a pump action, so you don't have to worry about clogged gas ports like you do with an semi-automatic; it has a short 18" barrel; it has a synthetic stock and a nickel plated metal, so it won't ever warp or rust.

• Members

Stay safe dude.
:thu:

I had someone break into my house before, they got as far as my kicthen before they knew someone was awake upstairs. Switched the light on, and came downstairs with a baseball bat
:lol:
Very cliche, but hey... it scared them off.

Just make sure you keep your house locked up
:)

I had someone try and crawl through the dog door in our laundry room, which

has a regular door out to the back deck. The previous owner put the dog door in, but since we didn't have a dog at the time, I just had a board over the outside.

Watching TV one night, I heard a noise and looked in to see an arm sticking out of the wall! I called 911, explaining what was going on, and grabed my 38 and a can of pepper spray. I switched on the light and started yelling at the dude to get the {censored} out or I would shoot him. Just as he got his second arm through, he got stuck in the dog door:facepalm: The police were now outside yelling at this guy to come out. They finally managed to pull him out, and arrested him, but not before he tryed to hit one of the cops.

• Members

Wow...lot of internet tough guys here.

I'm sure the fact he ran away at first sign of life in the house meant he was just as scared as you. I would guess 99% of robbers would have done the same thing. Not that makes you feel much better but still..try not to stress about it too much.

Archived