NAD: Fender Silverface(?) Squad Assemble! (Warning: bargain content)

PancakeBunny

• Members

I just got back from selling my Princeton Reverb and look what I picked up on my way home... for $800.

1042tth.jpg

2u8l9qd.jpg

153a9hd.jpg

wp8go.jpg

op7llt.jpg

I have a few concerns. It doesn't have the black vertical lines on the face plate like any other Drip Edge Fender amp I've seen. The tremolo doesn't work without the pedal switch, and the amp hasn't been converted to a proper 3 prong cord.

So what do you think is the deal? Is it a real drip edge model or an early silverface with a drip edge trim shoved in there? The amp sounds great, has quite a ton of clean headroom for single coils though.

Why wouldn't the tremolo work without the pedal? I don't have a pedal, brought it to Guitar Center and they had an old amp with a proper RCA pedal. When I plugged it in (I got quite a jolt of an electrical shock) but the tremolo worked.

• Members

Nice amp!

The 4 10s in Supers give them a sound like no other Fender.

I have a few concerns. It doesn't have the black vertical lines on the face plate like any other Drip Edge Fender amp I've seen.

Only the very early silverfaces have the blacklines (late 67/early 68). The drip edge was used from 67 to 69.

Here's my 67 bassman for reference.

DSCN0216.jpg

I'll trade ya. ;)

• Members

Nice amp!

The 4 10s in Supers give them a sound like no other Fender.

Only the very early silverfaces have the blacklines (late 67/early 68). The drip edge was used from 67 to 69.

Here's my 67 bassman for reference.

DSCN0216.jpg

I'll trade ya.
;)

I just bought a 1969 Fender Vibrolux Reverb. It has the blacklines on the face plate, but no drip edge. Got it from the original owner,never modded.

I'm guessing there is quite a bit of variation in this time period.

Great looking Super. According to Ampwares, the Super Reverb is even heavier than a Twin Reverb! Great tone comes with a price!

I think $800 is a very good price.

• Members

I just bought a 1969 Fender Vibrolux Reverb. It has the blacklines on the face plate, but no drip edge. Got it from the original owner,never modded.

I'm guessing there is quite a bit of variation in this time period.

Great looking Super. According to Ampwares, the Super Reverb is even heavier than a Twin Reverb! Great tone comes with a price!

I think $800 is a very good price.

YIKES I gig a Twin... and it sure is a heavy thing. I bought a collapsible dolly to carry it on but half the time you have to carry it up steps or gravel or something. Good luck with that! Haha

• Members

YIKES I gig a Twin... and it sure is a heavy thing. I bought a collapsible dolly to carry it on but half the time you have to carry it up steps or gravel or something. Good luck with that! Haha

Yeah, 86 pounds for a Super Reverb, and 69 pounds for a Twin reverb. I had a 1968 Fender Super Reverb, and it was unbelievably heavy. Plus it's height makes it a bit ackward to carry.

But oh, the tone! It was without a doubt the best sounding Fender amplifier I've ever heard. Super Reverbs have something special going on.

• Members

This thing is electrifying. Literally. I'm not gonna play it anymore till I get it converted to a three prong. God DAYUM. Ouch!

This amp doesn't seem so heavy for some reason. I have a head that seems just as heavy, a Traynor YBA1A Mark II.

I tried to pick up one of those YBA1A heads once. It was like it was nailed to the floor.

Yeah, get it checked out. I'm sure you'll want to get the normal maintenance done on it anyway. I think you got a great amp there. It's like a blackface in disguise, from what I hear, just without the price tag.

• Members

Seriously. I think I could probably flip this for quite a bit more than I could sell it. I feel bad because I had a guy here on the line for a Deluxe Reverb from '79 in great condition. I can't buy that now that I bought this. Seemed like a great guy too. :(

Any tips for cleaning?

• Members

Welcome to the club! I have a '69 Super Reverb and it's -- in the words of James Briown -- 'nuthin' fancy, but it's funky and clean.' The reverb n trem are 2 die 4. Once you've fixed it up, you'll have yourself one of the ULTIMATE amps, a favourite of Muddy Waters, Robert Cray and Johnny Marr.

With a Strat, it sounds like THIS:

[YOUTUBE]fp-Fy2VchYY[/YOUTUBE]

And hey, it's still lighter than a 4x12 cab.

• Members

Why wouldn't the tremolo work without the pedal? I don't have a pedal, brought it to Guitar Center and they had an old amp with a proper RCA pedal. When I plugged it in (I got quite a jolt of an electrical shock) but the tremolo worked.

That is just how they are designed-just have the GC guys order the correct pedal, it only like 35 or 40 $- all will be good.

• Members

My trem on my 76 Twin Reverb doesn't work without the pedal. Neither does the reverb actually.

My experience (with a '69 Super) is ... that without the pedal, both trem and rev will stay in whatever state was selected last time the pedal was used. If either or both are set for 'on', the only way to neutralise them is set all their controls to zero, and then reset them manually if/when you need them.

If they're set to off, you're SOOL until you can find a new pedal.

• Members

Dear lord, this amp smells like it spent its lifetime in a Grateful Dead tour bus. Any tips on how to get the smell of pot out of it?

:)

That takes me back. If I remember those days it will eventually dissapate but if you burn strawberry incense continuously right next to it the smell morphs into something much more bearable and acceptable. ;)

Seriously, pet stores have an "enzyme" cleaner that neutralizes all organic smells. You could take the chassis out and spray a little of that all over and it should do the trick.

• Members

God dammit. Another shock. When I'm barefoot and I touch anything on the amp that's metal I get a shock.

Is that normal for an ungrounded amp?

I'm no wiring expert, but I've owned a lot of old amps with two-prong plugs and no, it's definitely not normal for an ungrounded amp to shock you all the time. It happens, but only when something is wrong.

Does the amp have a ground switch on the back to change the polarity? If so, maybe try that. You also might want to try flipping the actual plug around when you plug it in. I've found that can make a ton of difference in the amount of hum in an old amp, so it might help the shocking thing as well.

If nothing works, you need to take it to an amp tech. You can receive a pretty serious shock from an amp. It's nothing you want to mess around with.

Oh, and to show some unity as part of the Silverface Squad, here's my 1977 Deluxe Reverb that had the faceplate and logo switched out for blackface ones by a previous owner. So it's technically a silverface and technically a blackface, I suppose. :D I just replaced the stock speaker with a Weber 12F150 and I'm loving it. :thu:

IMG_2440.jpg

Archived