School me on the Gibson Firebird V / minihums

Spike Li

• Members

Ive always liked the Gibby firebirds (love my studio :love:) and Ive always loved p90s, except ive hated the hum... I can get a pretty good deal on a new Firebird V (cause they just dont sell) and was wondering if they were worth it?

466bd0a1-dae6-48fe-8dc2-dd4c5fe265d2.png

Ive also heard that their massive "banjo tuners" cause them to be neck heavy- which i freakin hate- but id be prepared to buy and replace them with mini grovers...

• Members

Not sure if you can repalce those with Grovers, can you?

Anyway, I'm not the mini expert, but I do have one. I've become a big fan of them. They have all the good of a humbucker (noiseless, thick sound) but they have a lot more high end chime and harmonics than you get from a standard humbucker.

That's a nice guitar. I wouldn't hesitate to play it.

EG

• Members

Maybe you can. I have no idea if the spacing is right or anything for them. The tuners was one thing I always liked about those though.

Anyway, its still a nice guitar. Is it a good deal on it? Is that why you're looking?

EG

Yeah this store i go to has had one on its wall forever, and now theyre just trying to get rid of it pretty much at cost. Also the minihums fascinate me as well as it being a neck thru. Still not that cheap tho so its a lot to weigh up and think about...

• Members

I think the Steinberger Gearless tuners are direct replacements, and I have read that they lighten the headstock considerably.

I have an Epi Firebird VII and I dig the mini-hums. I think if you like P-90s, you'll dig the mini-hums. Though I hear the stock Gibson mini's aren't the best, but I dig my Epi ones.

• Members

I think the Steinberger Gearless tuners are direct replacements, and I have read that they lighten the headstock considerably.

I have an Epi Firebird VII and I dig the mini-hums. I think if you like P-90s, you'll dig the mini-hums. Though I hear the stock Gibson mini's aren't the best, but I dig my Epi ones.

Do you know how the epi ones compare to the gibson pups?

• Members

The gibson mini's are fine. And while the mini and P90 are the same size, they sound pretty different. Mini's will give you more chime and top end than a full size humbucker, but also less thickness. P90's are growly and chimey, bigger mid-hump. Firebirds with mini HB's sound incredible. Go try it out, very much their own thing.

Archived