Give me some motivation to play

docjeffrey

• Members

Good idea. I've been listening to The Beatles remasters all day. I need to hear something bad.

Put the beatles down man and open some Overkill and crack some skulls with your guitfiddle bro.

Oh and I'm still waiting for the video of your work posted above please!!

• Members

I'm going through the same thing right now. I haven't played since last Thursday. On Sunday I intentionally decided to give it a rest until my reordered guitar came in. I wanted to play so bad by this afternoon (Saturday) but I forced myself not to (It's been a week and two days total). My new guitar is coming in Monday and I can't wait; not only to play it but just to play again. I'm sure I'm gonna have a blast on Monday... I'm really excited about it!

• Members
I'm going through the same thing right now. I haven't played since last Thursday. On Sunday I intentionally decided to give it a rest until my reordered guitar came in. I wanted to play so bad by this afternoon (Saturday) but I forced myself not to (It's been a week and two days total). My new guitar is coming in Monday and I can't wait; not only to play it but just to play again. I'm sure I'm gonna have a blast on Monday... I'm really excited about it!

We are still talking about playing the guitar, and not erectile dysfunction, right?

Sorry no advice here, just thought a :lol: might help.

• Members

I'm going through a bad period too.

I find it odd that as much as I've learned over the years, it often seems diminished to me.

One thing I need to do is to keep a list of things I've learned so they stay in rotation and don't fall out of the memory banks.

But I find it odd how I can be on a high sometimes with somthing new and then I'll fall back into feeling like I'm stuck in a rut with a small ditty bag again.

But if it makes you feel any better.

Try this for a quick fix/cheap thrill.

"Draggin the Line"

F barred at the second fret

E open position.

Drag your index along the low E string through the notes while playing the F chord, open to second fret, to simulate draggin that line and bounce the chords for some punctuation.

It's the only 2 chord progression song I know and has got to be the most fun cheap thrill I've recently found. Main chorus and bridge. :lol:

But it's the picking out of the right notes/strings that gives the exercise an opportunity for feeling a bit creative with it. If not for you, maybe someone else can use it for a quick "fix". ;)

• Members
We are still talking about playing the guitar, and not erectile dysfunction, right?

Sorry no advice here, just thought a
:lol:
might help.

I'm part Italian and 33... quit smoking pot for the most part back in my early 20s... so erectile dysfunction is not a problem here...

Getting a girlfriend on the other hand, yeah that's been difficult. Dating's tough in mid-30s. Seems like most girls are married, or divorced, or single for a reason i.e. crazy or self-centered beotches, or both. Oh well, just have to keep trying.

• Members

A week ago my brother hands me a little tube. I take it. Something's wrapped in tissue. I unwrap it. I stand there for 30 seconds, unbelieving. It's a slot car. From a set we got one xmas over 40 years ago. He tells me, he bought it on ebay. It's a creme color, and he tells me he also got a blue car.
So now, we're looking for the track, and I've got my eye on my own cars.
It'll be pretty cool to race again.

So, don't sweat a couple weeks where you aren't motivated to play guitar. It's taken 40 years for me to be motivated to play.

• Members

I can't offer any help; sometimes you just have to give it a rest.

My other thoughts on this are, that you have to push yourself to play in new ways. We like to form riturals and habbits, but you can get stuck in that rut. You have to, at times, really push yourself to move out into unfammilyar territory.

This is a really kick ass book,

http://www.amazon.com/Advancing-Guitarist-Reference-Mick-Goodrick/dp/0881885894

It is not a method book, it doesn't so much have you do things on guitar, but rather points you to understand how to see the way the instument works musically. I think it is pretty inspirational anyway. It is all ways nice to flip though when I hit a wall.

Archived