NPBD (No not a pedal board)

Saturn

• Members

I've been looking for a good amp to run in stereo running out of the right side stereo on my RP1000. I started a thread asking about a Carvin SX100 and a couple of you immediatly chimed in "get a Crate Power Block". Now that was my first thought but I haven't run across one of those in quite a while. They had 4 of them on ebay but I haven't used ebay in over 5 years and really don't want to.

I also found a Peavey Encore 65 online and thought that might also do for just the power amp section. So I went to check out the two amps. When I got to GC where they had the Peavey in the used section I found a complete zoo and the Peavey had been sold. I was getting kind of irritated but figured I'd run over to MGR. The closest MGR is one of my favorite local stores and they had the Carvin. I walked in the door and chatted with the guys at the front counter and turned around to look at the amps and what do I see? A Crate Power Block! It wasn't listed on the web site. I asked the guys about it and was told it came in yesterday. Cool......Sold! So now I had to find a cab. They had several 412s but not what I need. The only 212s they had were a craptacular Peavey with Scorpions in it. No way would that work. And a Music Man that was more than I wanted to spend at this time. The guys said check out the Crate 112 that the Power Block came in with. I tipped it over and checked out the speaker and what did I see? A Celestion G12-K 100.

Score!!!!!! So out the door I went with my new head and cab. Got home and hooked it up in stereo and holy crap Batman!!!!! Talk about a wall of sound!!! Louder than hell!!!! And the Power Block sounds increadible using my Marshall Haze pre-amp. I have the Haze connected using the 4 cable method to the RP1000 and the right side stereo out going to the Power Block. My natural amps tone just sound huge and the few amp sims I use on the RP1000 sound stellar!

So here are the pics.

IMG_6812.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

IMG_6811.jpg

• Members
I've never heard of those before.

That's pretty kick ass little rig you got.

HN(PowerBlock)D!
:lol:

Thanks.....The Power Block was dicontinued by Crate a while ago. They are a really versitile head. 100 clean loud watts. It's really perfect for my usage.

• Members

Hey, I know the Encore 65 and Crate cab you're talking about. I just saw the Encore a couple of days ago, so it must have sold recently.

Nice score on the Power Block. MGR had that Crate cab for a few weeks already, unless another one came in with the PB itself. I was going to pick it up just for the speaker. They only wanted $99 for it!

• Members

Hey, I know the Encore 65 and Crate cab you're talking about. I just saw the Encore a couple of days ago, so it must have sold recently.

Nice score on the Power Block. MGR had that Crate cab for a few weeks already, unless another one came in with the PB itself. I was going to pick it up just for the speaker. They only wanted $99 for it!

That must have been the cab. I thought they said it came in with the Power Block but they may have been talking about a different cab. The cab sounds really good. The Celestion is very clear and tight. The combination with the Marshall sounds really nice.

• Members

congratulations! if you have the capability, it would be great to hear clips!

Thanks, I sold my audio interface and mics when I had to sell of all my gear. I will be replacing the mics soon though and will do some clips.

• Members

Hell to the yeah!

Glad you found one, definitely great little amps!

I need a second one now.

And if you look closely, they are actually 150 watts in mono, 75 per side in stereo. me and the other guitarist in my band run PowerBlocks through 4x12 cabinets and they sound massive.

Congrats and happy NPBD!!!

• Members
Hell to the yeah!

Glad you found one, definitely great little amps!

I need a second one now.

And if you look closely, they are actually 150 watts in mono, 75 per side in stereo. me and the other guitarist in my band run PowerBlocks through 4x12 cabinets and they sound massive.

Congrats and happy NPBD!!!

Thanks, You and tlbonehead both said Power Block in my other thread. I had been looking for one for two weeks. I couldn't believe when I walked in the store and saw one sitting there. I could see using the Power Block as my primary amp. It really sounds good.:thu:

• Members
Thanks, You and tlbonehead both said Power Block in my other thread. I had been looking for one for two weeks. I couldn't believe when I walked in the store and saw one sitting there. I could see using the Power Block as my primary amp. It really sounds good.
:thu:

That is some killer luck.
I think they should reissue them.
I've heard rumblings of a PowerBlock II but I think it's just a rumor. Something about them including a built in tuner and a stereo FX loop.
With the PB and the 1x12, you have a nice compact setup that can go from the coffee house to a nice sized club easily IMO.

• Members

They should re-issue them. Crate has put out some real crap but the Power Block is a real winner.

I've been playing around with this set up for about 5 hours and just can't believe the tone I'm getting. The Power Block is spot on with the tone coming from my Marshall. I don't think I've had tone this good maybe ever. With a little OD going into the Marshall I'm getting tone that reminds me of my JCM800. Sounds huge also. Can't belive how big the sound is coming from 2 12in cabs. The stereo effects on my RP1000 sound wonderfull to.

• Members

Damn, Saturn...I'm in St. Paul and have an Encore 65 sitting in my basement!

I've never played a Encore 65. I was thinking if I picked it up I would have to replace the Scorpion speaker in it and re-tube. How dose the Encore sound? They look like they could be cool amps.

The Power Block was the first thing that came to mind when I started looking for a power amp for my stereo set up. Couldn't have worked out better. I've probably been driving my wife nuts. I think I've been a little loud today.

• Members

They should re-issue them. Crate has put out some real crap but the Power Block is a real winner.

They discontinued them because too many were burning out and having to be replaced under warranty. Plus Crate has since gone through an ownership change the the current owner of Crate/Ampeg moved everything off shore, but seems lost in the water to coming out with a marketable, reliable product; everything they have released has been so plagued with issues that they've had to discontinue it and blow out for cheap (the last Crate V series, the hardwired Ampeg J-20, etc.).

Archived