GAUGE 13 OR 12?

KevinTJH

• Members

I've got a fixed bridge strat which I'd like to leave it in Drop C tuning (C-G-C-F-A-D). First, would gauge 13 or 12 be a better choice? It's got a 24.75 neck scale so I'm guessing intonation issues can only be minimised to a certain degree.

About the nut, will I have to cut the nut wider or should I just let the thicker strings rest on it and let it fit its way through?

• Members

depeds how floppy you like your strings. I can get drop b to hold tune using d'addario 11's but I prefer the medium top heavy bottoms. Or I use 7 string sets If I can get a good price. You could try the dunlop Kerry King sets, they seem to quite often come in 2 packs and have 10-56 with an extra .52 so you could do 13-52 or just put the 52 on instead of the .46 or something like that. Or a light 7 string set.

As for the nut. Just put them on and see. I have never had to cut a nut slot yet.

• Members

I'd go with .13s for more stability, but I have a feeling you'll have to file the nut. Shoot, I usually have to file the factory nut at the first string change, even if I'm not switching gauge.

Cheap solution, if you're looking for it: Contact a welding supply shop, and ask if they have a set of torch tip cleaners. They're little round files that are just about perfect for the job, which really does need to be done; you have no idea how many tuning and setup issues can be circumvented in the 5 minutes it takes to clean up your nut slots.

• Members

depeds how floppy you like your strings. I can get drop b to hold tune using d'addario 11's but I prefer the medium top heavy bottoms. Or I use 7 string sets If I can get a good price. You could try the dunlop Kerry King sets, they seem to quite often come in 2 packs and have 10-56 with an extra .52 so you could do 13-52 or just put the 52 on instead of the .46 or something like that. Or a light 7 string set.

As for the nut. Just put them on and see. I have never had to cut a nut slot yet.

Hmm..floppy? I would like to stick with the same tension as every other electric guitar in standard tuning.

You used 11's for drop B? What is the intonation like?

Kerry King's set is rather scarce in Australia so I don't think I'll look into that. There're 2 sets of Drop Tune strings I might consider. Problem is, the D,Addario (12-54) and Ernie Ball not even slinky (12-56) are different in thickness for several strings. If I used the thicker one the nut holes might be stretched too big to use the thinner one.

13's are bloody hard to find so I'll forget about that.

So which strings are better? D,Addario is a dollar cheaper though.

• Members

I'd go with .13s for more stability, but I have a feeling you'll have to file the nut. Shoot, I usually have to file the factory nut at the first string change, even if I'm not switching gauge.

Cheap solution, if you're looking for it: Contact a welding supply shop, and ask if they have a set of torch tip cleaners. They're little round files that are just about perfect for the job, which really does need to be done; you have no idea how many tuning and setup issues can be circumvented in the 5 minutes it takes to clean up your nut slots.

Just as long as the strings fit in the holes, there shouldn't be any problems in future?

• Members

{censored} that.

Just get one from StewMac.

• Members

I always use Ernie's Not Even Slinky's for CGCFAD. I Tried a 7 string set once, but the 13 for the D was a bit too tight for me. 25.5 scale guitar by the way. But, for anything in C I'd still go with Not Even Slinkys any day. I think your over think the issue a bit honestly. If your strat is a hardtail, you shouldn't have to worry about the nut being to tight. And if it is, just pull the string through the slot a few times and it'll start to fit. Be sure the use the part that'll go around the tuning post though.

And intonation? pfft, I recently dropped down to A-E-A-D-F#-B (dropped 7 string) just to dick around. Intonation was pretty much still spot on.

• Members

Thanks. Okay I'm going with Ernie Ball then.

To be on the safe side I guess I'll get a tip cleaner kit as well.

One more thing, do I have to do anything with the bridge too? What about the groove where the string lies? Do I have to file that as well or just let string sit on top of the smaller groove? (hope I'm making sense!)

• Members

For a benchmark that everyone has played, 10s tuned to E-standard average maybe 13kg of tension.

Whoa! That's pretty cool..but I don't like the fact that it's not very accurate with inches. I compared two 24.75 scale guitars which is 62.9cm. One with gauge 10 Ernie ball/D'addario in Standard tuning (like Les Pauls) and the other with the Ernie Ball not even slinky in Drop C.

The total tension:

Gauge 10 on Standard = approx. 50kg

Gauge 12 on Drop C = approx. 56kg

Note that I typed in the string gauge of each string individually according the strings I use, not the selections on the website.

Is the tension for gauge 12 a little too much for playing comfort?

• Members

Whoa! That's pretty cool..but I don't like the fact that it's not very accurate with inches. I compared two 24.75 scale guitars which is 62.9cm. One with gauge 10 Ernie ball/D'addario in Standard tuning (like Les Pauls) and the other with the Ernie Ball not even slinky in Drop C.

The total tension:

Gauge 10 on Standard = approx. 50kg

Gauge 12 on Drop C = approx. 56kg

Note that I typed in the string gauge of each string individually according the strings I use, not the selections on the website.

Is the tension for gauge 12 a little too much for playing comfort?

I don't think 12s are overly uncomfortable in standard E. I think 12s are about right.

Archived