HELP: broken strap peg screw

ffud

• Members

So I was trying to take my strap pegs off my les paul so I could put them on my strat temporarily, and somehow one of the screws just snapped in half leaving part in the guitar so now I can't put the pegs back on. See pic:

les%20paul%20broken%20screw.jpg

any ideas how I can get this out so I can get a strap back on it?

• Members

Good luck with that. Screw extractors are generally made for screws that are stripped, not broken off at or below the surface. The way most wood workers would fix that would be to use a plug cutter and cut a plug of wood out that includes the screw. Then you would glue a matching plug in to replace the lost wood, doing your best to match the color and grain of the wood.

• Members

why were you putting your LP strap pins on your Strat?
:idk:
the Strat has no strap pins...?

long story. I had a show and neither the strat or the LP were in good working condition, so I borrowed our lead signer's dad's 1972 SG which didnt have strap locks, so I took them off my strat and put them on the SG. Then somehow at the end of the show, I jumped, and when I landed the top half of SG broke down the seam of its body. So they took the SG home before I could get my strap off it. Then I finaly fixed my strat the other day and wanted to put a strap on it, so I took it off the les paul... and you know the story from there.

:facepalm:

• Members

...so I borrowed our lead signer's dad's 1972 SG... Then somehow at the end of the show, I jumped, and when I landed the top half of SG broke down the seam of its body...

OH {censored} :eek:

Holy {censored}, dude... can it be fixed? What are they doing about it? Holy crap, am I glad I ain't in your shoes :freak:

Anyway, sorry. Is there any screw shaft protruding, or is it flush with the surrounding surface? My thought is, if there's a little bit sticking out, you could get pliers and carefully twist it out.

• Members

OH {censored}
:eek:

Holy {censored}, dude... can it be fixed? What are they doing about it? Holy crap, am I glad I ain't in your shoes
:freak:

Anyway, sorry. Is there any screw shaft protruding, or is it flush with the surrounding surface? My thought is, if there's a little bit sticking out, you could get pliers and carefully twist it out.

The fix should be an easy glue. The seam of the two prices of body wood is conveniently located above all electronics and everything, basicaly just like the top horn and then straight across to the back.

I already tried pliers. Wont budge.

• Members

that same thing happened to my gibson sonex180... i tried unscrewing the strap button because i was going to put a dimarzio strap on it, i ended up just unscrewing one of the neck-screws, and then screwing it back in with it going through my strap, so it kinda worked similar to an SG... it worked fine... i just put a small piece of black electrical tape over the body and you seriously can't tell its there.

• Members

Holy crap. I am sure that I could do it, but it would take some time to figure out the least damaging method and I'd probably need to have it in my hands to mess with it. I'm thinking that a new screw hole right beside it and a felt pad are going to be the easiest and strongest method. Anything else is going to probably involve removing wood and plugging.

And yeah, I highly doubt that you'd get a screw extractor onto that if you can't even grab it with pliers. There's a 99% chance you'd slip and make a huge mess as well.

• Members

:confused:

why drill another hole? the grabit has worked for me before in your situation. not saying it will because there is not much to grab hold of, but i would avoid putting another hole in the Les Paul....

worst possible case, get a small drill bit designed for metal and try drilling it out without doing too much damage to the wood. then if need be use some toothpicks and wood glue to fix up the current hole. ;)

• Members

I just had another thought. regardless if I can get it out, I was suddenly thinking maybe this would be a good excuse to move the peg to the back of the neck SG style. I kinda like having it there in the case of the SG, but how would that work out on a LP?

• Members

I just had another thought. regardless if I can get it out, I was suddenly thinking maybe this would be a good excuse to move the peg to the back of the neck SG style. I kinda like having it there in the case of the SG, but how would that work out on a LP?

i wouldnt.

id find a small metal bit and drill out the screw.

• Members

If the screw twisted off and won't budge when you get a pliers on it, I'd suspect somebody may have glued it in the hole. If so, one way to loosen it is to heat the screw up with a soldering iron with a small conical tip. This should also loosen it up even if it's just really tight in the wood. You may then be able to get it out if you can get a pliers on it.

• Members

If the screw twisted off and won't budge when you get a pliers on it, I'd suspect somebody may have glued it in the hole. If so, one way to loosen it is to heat the screw up with a soldering iron with a small conical tip. This should also loosen it up even if it's just really tight in the wood. You may then be able to get it out if you can get a pliers on it.

really good advice

• Members

its not glued (I put it in myself a year ago) but theres not really enough still exposed to grab.

Archived