90's Danelectro's

Scoogs

• Members

I was wondering how the Danelectro's made in the 90's are regarded?

I know the re-issues today are for the most part great, but not entirely accurate.

More specifically, the DC 59's. I think in the 60's they were hollow, and had a glossy finish on them. The re-issues today are solid bodies and have like a matte finish.

• Members

The first run was really nice. They painted the headstocks like the bodies and had nice finishes.

As time went on they started cost cutting - first little things, like a natural finished headstock that could be used on any body. Then they eliminated the cooler colors like purple and blue sparkle and the irredecent (sp) finishes on the Hodads.

Now they're ok, but I don't like the bridges - the wooden bridge is a big part of the dano sound and I really don't like the finishes. I also don't like the satin chrome.

I think for the money they're still cool guitars

• Members

Scoogs,

Maybe you have seen tnis link - but it may help.

http://www.danguitars.com/59-DC.html

I have a 2nd reissue, and it has a glossy finish. I like it - but I have never touched an original 59 DC. I am not a Dano expert, but I seem them as cheap guitars, with quirky appeal.

BTW - mine has the wood saddle.

DC_59_1.JPG

BBTW - Meowy is selling his Dano DC. I don't know which re-issue. See the SPAM thraed.

- w

• Members

That is exactly what I'm looking for, Woody. And yeah, I've stumbled upon that link just after making this thread. Good site. Thanks dood.

Meowy's Dano is cool, but I'm looking at either the early DC59 RI's, or the very latest (2009 and on).

... Or a real 60's one. ;)

• Members

I love my mid-1990's DC-12 string: it sounds freakin' awesome. I was having problems with neck dive but a strap swap solved that problem quickly and I no longer want to replace it. It sounds incredible through my Fender Blues Junior; so good that I think lipstick pickups are the perfect pickup for a 12-string electric, even better than Rickenbackers.

Note: this isn't mine but mine looks just like it:

2756877900_9cebed2118.jpg

I'm semi-lusting for a DC for either DADGAD or Nashville tuning.

• Members

I have this '90's double RI:

Double-Dano.gif

The first series of RI's were pretty close to the originals. They pretty much nailed the electronics, right down to the quirky wiring. The necks were NOT painted, they did that on the second run of RI's. The tape is less for function than looks - the originals were not painted along the edge so the paint was used to cover the bare wood. The area under the tape on the RI's is painted like the rest of the guitar. RI's have adjustable truss rods - which is a good thing. The original rosewood bridges suck so many shades of ass I'm glad they've largely dispensed with them. And if you are a "purist" who insists the rosewood bridges are necessary for vintage "tones" I have one I'll gladly sell you for $500 ['cause it's got that magic mojo you crave so bad - LOL].

I keep reading people saying the new Dano's are solid, not masonite. The only solid body I've seen from Evets/Danelectro is the one they call the Dead On 67. It's a reissue of the Coral Wasp [the Danelectro Hornet was the one in the amp-in-case] and the original was also a solid body build. All the others are masonite and poplar, like the originals.

• Members

My nephew has this 97 model. Its a POS.

100_0129.jpg

EG

Yeah, that's one of their "Hodads" that almost killed Evets Corp. They flooded the market with all sorts of junk, in addition to the reissues, and the market didn't respond very well. That's the point where they changed directions and decided to only produce a limited run of a few models each year and that strategy appears to be serving them well.

• Members

That is exactly what I'm looking for, Woody. And yeah, I've stumbled upon that link just after making this thread. Good site. Thanks dood.

Meowy's Dano is cool, but I'm looking at either the early DC59 RI's, or the very latest (2009 and on).

... Or a real 60's one.
;)

Thanks!, FYI it's available to anyone interested - see my sig

The nice thing about the prior reissue's bridge is it can be fully intonated and has independent saddle adjustments, pretty decent tuners and a truss rod. Granted not advantages in the eyes of purists / vintage enthusiasts, but it is a modern improvement

• Members

According to BG's timeline, mine is somewhere amidst the cost-cutting stages of production. Made in Korea, I think in 2000 or possibly '01. Its a great guitar, albeit a bit neck heavy.

IMG_2373-1.jpg

No wood bridge here...

IMG_2376.jpg

I was having problems with neck dive but a strap swap solved that problem quickly and I no longer want to replace it.

Hey Alecto - just a new strap or did you re-install the strap posts?

• Members

I've never understood the appeal. A lot of the same folks who spew forth an unlimited supply of venom at those who attempt to extol the virtues of latter-day bargain brands (e.g. Squier, Epi, Xaviere, Rondo, etc.) get a huge woody at the mention of the revered name "danelectro". I've played original Danos and repros, and they are simply terribly cheap, lightweight guitars. They have their charms and their deficits, but in the final analysis they are what they are. I have never understood how the same folks who freak out at a maple cap that is fractions of an inch thinner than that of a Gibson will swoon with delight at the thought of a masonite-and-plywood guitar with hardware cheaper than that on almost any bargain brand... It's either a cult, or there's something going on here that I just don't get.

Oh - and btw: I don't think there is a single tone in a U2 that I can't duplicate on a tele...

• Members

Way off the OP's topic, but my 2 cents: I just bought this Dano Innuendo 12 string and I have to say it's an outstanding guitar. It's the 2nd one of these that I've had. (Like and idiot, I sold the first one.) The playability of the necks on these things is incredible.

3n93k83mc5O15P15R6a17bdbbf01feded15.jpg

• Members

I've never understood the appeal. A lot of the same folks who spew forth an unlimited supply of venom at those who attempt to extol the virtues of latter-day bargain brands (e.g. Squier, Epi, Xaviere, Rondo, etc.) get a huge woody at the mention of the revered name "danelectro". I've played original Danos and repros, and they are simply terribly cheap, lightweight guitars. They have their charms and their deficits, but in the final analysis they are what they are. I have never understood how the same folks who freak out at a maple cap that is fractions of an inch thinner than that of a Gibson will swoon with delight at the thought of a masonite-and-plywood guitar with hardware cheaper than that on almost any bargain brand... It's either a cult, or there's something going on here that I just don't get.

Oh - and btw: I don't think there is a single tone in a U2 that I can't duplicate on a tele...

I'm a Dano fan, not an expert or collector, but I like 'em. They play great, sound great, and don't cost a lot of money. I think it would be closer to the truth that I could come close to Tele sounds on a Dano than the other way around. I have a Dano Convertible that I think is a great guitar. It's horrible acoustically, but sounds like a million bucks when plugged in. The neck is really nice on my 12 string. I know it ain't a Rickenbacker, but it didn't cost $2500 bucks either. Maybe it IS a cult thing. :D

• Members

Maybe it IS a cult thing.
:D

I'm not really trying to cut them down (I will admit that they're just not my thing -- too light!) but it does strike me as interesting that guys who like them tend to LOVE them! There doesn't really seem to be anything lukewarm about peoples' feelings on these.

• Members

I can see your point. There is a double standard there. One is a new cheap guitar, the other is an old or vintage cheap guitar. There is no question about the history of Danelectro. Their goal was to make a guitar that was affordable. If you inflate one of the original prices, or around $79, from then to now, They are priced about right. If you compare the quality to that of an SX, Squier, et al, I think, in all fairness, that they are below par. I am not knocking them. In fact I just picked up one of the new RIs. It just came in today, and I haven't had time to pick it up. Will do tonight. It is the psychadelic paint job. I comes down to what it always does. Personal choice.

• Members

Hey Alecto - just a new strap or did you re-install the strap posts?

Nope, just a new leather strap with a rough surface that sticks with my shirt. Worked like a charm.

I've never dissed Xaviere, Rondo or Squier (been highly impressed with recent Squiers, in fact) but yeah, I have a serious soft spot for Danelectros. They are what they are, and unapologetically so. They don't try to imitate other guitar brands and the lipsticks are great for both clean and overdriven tones. Nothing else sounds quite like them.

• Members

Yeah, that's one of their "Hodads" that almost killed Evets Corp.

That is not a Hodad. That is an Inuendo. They had built in effects and were uber cheap.

I bought 2 double necks, 2 Hodads, a 12 string and 3 59s when GC was blowing out all their Danos for $99.99. This would have been 2000/2001.

A Hodad was a higher money guitar and looked like this. They came with a Bigsby or stop and IIRC there were a few pickup choices as well as a 12 string and some had a rotary pickup selector to split coils.

I-455%20Hodad%20front-400x400.jpg

• Members

That is not a Hodad. That is an Inuendo. They had built in effects and were uber cheap.

I bought 2 double necks, 2 Hodads, a 12 string and 3 59s when GC was blowing out all their Danos for $99.99. This would have been 2000/2001.

A Hodad was a higher money guitar and looked like this. They came with a Bigsby or stop and IIRC there were a few pickup choices as well as a 12 string and some had a rotary pickup selector to split coils.

I-455%20Hodad%20front-400x400.jpg

True dat. I neglected to add that my Innuendo 12 string also has the 4 effects built-in. Actually, they aren't worth mentioning. Of the four, fuzz, chorus, tremolo, and reverb, the only one worth using is the tremolo. But, the necks are so nice, I bought mine for the playability. Again, Danos aren't for everybody. I understand that not everybody digs them, and that's OK; each person's taste is different.

• Members

That sparkle blue 59 is SO sexy!

OP, I have a Mod 6 for sale in the spam thread. IMO, it is the one Dano that combines all that is good about old and new Danos, unless you want a RW saddle, which being an owner of 6 other Danos, I can tell you is hyped up beyond belief.

I would also agree that the Dano can get closer to a Tele than the other way round. There is a pleasant beefiness to the Dano sound that comes from the hollow body and that cannot be easily replicated on a Tele. A Dano can be fairly accurately described a the illegitimate street child of a one-night-stand between a Tele and a Ric.

• Members

Well, I ordered up meself one of the new DC59 RI's.

Using 15OFF4U on Music123.com, I got it for under $300. I ordered it with the rosewood saddle. But honestly I'm having my doubts if I should change it to the Modified Spec version with the bad ass bridge before they ship it to me tomorrow.

Those who have Dano's w/ the rwood saddle... Is the intonation off with a pack of brand new strings? Is it bad? {censored} my impulsive buying.

Archived