Cleaning Gibsons

ponch

• Members

I have had a Kalamazoo-made Epiphone for over 40 years. I also have a couple of other Gibsons. I use a damp towel to remove dust and grime and then follow with Gibson polish before buffing with a soft lint-free cloth sucs as are sold in guitar stores. works well and no problems yet. I keep my guitars in theor cases and do this clean and shine routine whenever I change strings. My guitars are in pretty good shape.

• Members

anything good for the fretboard ? ebony fretboard. with this i mean i dont need it cleaning i just wanted to know if there was anything to smoothen it out as its dry and quite rough.

thanks

Fret Doctor!

Do a google search on it and see the results yourself (especially in the Les Paul forums)!

:thu:

Fret Doctor (link)

:cool:

• Members

I was so impressed I did my own research and made my own:lol:

It is bloody excellent stuff

The cool thing about the Fret Doctor site is that he lays out some good info regarding types of oils/etc. that have been used and the pluses and minuses of each. I talked to a local luthier about the list (printed it out) and he said it was spot on. I used to use lemon oil, but it's really a pain to find any that doesn't contain solvents, like naphtha. Pure naphtha is ok for cleaning, but apparently not when mixed with an old as you cannot easily remove it all when applied along with an oil and it can cause adhesives to weaken.

Regardless, I have been very happy with Fret Doctor and it's inexpensive enough that I don't mind paying someone else to research and produce it for me.

Archived