Cleaning Gibsons

ponch

• Members

Hey

i have a gibson les paul guitar and i wondered what products i could use to clean it with ?

it has a nitrocellouse finish and i dont want to ruin in. i also live in the uk and cant find anyone that says its ok for there cleaning stuff to be used with this finish

thanks

• Members

All I know is that Gibson guitar polish smells nice too. But that's from years ago. It might be different now.

Their cleaning crap isn't the holy grail of cleaning crap and you're going to pay a bit more for their name on their packaging.

But go ahead. It's your money and if it puts your mind at ease, go for it.

All I need is a clean lint free cloth to begin with. A totally filthy rosewood fretboard might need more than just polish. My necks don't get that way but a used guitar's neck might show up like that. Most Gibson owners usually take pride in keeping their stuff clean. Like you. But you don't have to go overboard.

Smudges will always come back.

• Members

I've used both Gibson and Martin guitar polish as it's available locally fairly cheap. Seems to work quite well as my 26 year old Les Paul still looks great. One thing that really helps is a nice microfiber polish cloth (Dunlop makes a great one) I use it to for a quick wipe down after playing.

• Members

My sister got me a Fender Cleaning kit for Christmas 08. It does a nice job. I think its like 30 bucks for the whole kit but I use it a lot and still have a bunch left.

It was one of those "What to get a guitarist who is really picky" kind of gifts, but I ended using it anytime I clean my guitars and will probably replace it when I run out.

• Members

You can safely remove sweat and grease from hands by using naptha (sold as Ronson lighter fuel liquid).

and before the debate starts this is endorsed by Gibson for nitro finishes.

Avoid any polish that contains either wax or cutting compounds.

Regular degrease and a damp cloth will do it.

• Members

yh the gibson i use is white and with the nitrocellouse finish,

so from this i think im going to get a gibson cloth, and the pump polish and possibly the microfibre cloth

my fretboard feels quite dry as its ebony is there anything i can use for that ?

• Members

anything good for the fretboard ? ebony fretboard. with this i mean i dont need it cleaning i just wanted to know if there was anything to smoothen it out as its dry and quite rough.

thanks

I think someone already mentioned it but lemon oil works wonders. there is also stuff from GC that is like fret glide or something. Comes in a beige cylinder.

Archived