NGD - 339 Content.

Takeaway

• Members

I recently acquired this ES 339 in a trade. I've had it about a month now so I thought I'd post some opinions about her.

Firstly, I've always wanted a nice semi (used to own a USA First Act Delia) but just couldn't get along with the bulky size. For that reason, I never really looked too closely at ES 335s, and thus can't make any tonal comparisions. I figured the 339 would be just right, but they dont come along too often in England.

IMO this guitar is a real sweetheart. I'm a big fan of the 57's and they sound great here; nice low output, very smooth and balanced. The 'Memphis' circuitry is taking a bit of getting used to - the majority of the tone change comes in the first 1/3rd of the pot travel, then falls away. I quite like it so far, but it is forcing me to make more precise adjustments with the controls.

As for QC; well - its pretty good. The only complaint are some visible file marks on the fingerboard which i'll get rid of myself when I get the motivation and time. Its very sturdy other than that, and a good weight - around the 7.5 - 8lb mark at a guess, and vert well balanced.

Anyway, it may be a keeper and seems to have its own sound, distinct from my Les Pauls which is a real plus.

(Crappy) pics:

3391.jpg

3392.jpg

• Members
Thats gorgeous!
:thu:
You know you live not far from me....
:D:lol:

HNGD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dougie - you're welcome to give her a strum (:eek:) if you like mate!

Oh, and a little aside; I got this from a guy that used to play lead guitar for an old 70's UK punk band 'Chelsea'. Some of the English guys may have heard of them (MHUK?). It was cool having a little jam with a guy that appeared on the Old Grey Whistle Test, and played with Joe Strummer and Iggy Pop - he had some neat stories.

• Members
Dougie - you're welcome to give her a strum (
:eek:
) if you like mate!

Oh, and a little aside; I got this from a guy that used to play lead guitar for an old 70's UK punk band 'Chelsea'. Some of the English guys may have heard of them (MHUK?). It was cool having a little jam with a guy that appeared on the Old Grey Whistle Test, and played with Joe Strummer and Iggy Pop - he had some neat stories.

That makes this NGD even better.

I'd love to try one of those, I've never played one in person, but I imagine I'd bond well with one.

HNGD!

• Members
Dougie - you're welcome to give her a strum (
:eek:
) if you like mate!

:love: Thanks! :D If you live were I think you do... ;):lol:

• Members

I had one of these in the orange caramel burst. I had to sell her for financial reasons. Boy do I miss that guitar. I regret it now because I got 10% off at the time and the price has gone up since then. The tone was outstanding and it was indeed a great size for a semi.

Archived