What to know about replacing pots/switches

jonlong

• Members

I'm having an issue with my guitar (Schecter C1+) where the sound sometimes cuts out when the switch is in the bridge position.

The problem has only occurred twice, once yesterday, and once about a month ago, despite playing on a daily basis. I have yet to determine where the failing connection is.

Actually, now that I'm typing this question, I think I've determined that it must be at the switch. The reason for that is that the guitar makes sound in the middle (bridge and neck pickup) position, but it would be silent if the bridge pickup wasn't working (either via failing pickup or pot wiring). So the switch must have a faulty connection in the bride only position.

Either way, that brings me to the my question. What is a good place to order pots and/or switches and what should I know when ordering? I have a decent understanding of electronics and can solder fairly well.

Thanks!

• Members

I have a Schecter that had that same problem too a while ago. The 5-way switch would cut out on rare occasions. If I remember correctly I could get it to short by wiggling the switch. I eventually 'fixed' it when I put in a 3-way switch for p90s.

• Members

2 words- Contact Cleaner
:thu:

Can work wonders (and thus begins the next, "WD40 vs DeOxit" war):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104746

But if there is an actual mechanical problem with the switch, or a bad soldered connection, then more serious measures must be taken.

Here's the wiring diagram for the Schecter C-1:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:BPK3dqMoK2QJ:www.schecterguitars.com/schematic/schecter_C1_CLASSIC.pdf+5-was+switch+for+a+schector+c-1&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbTF0NTcVdoIrDukBst3tMn0VcPJBw

I don't think that 5-way is identical to a Strat's 5-way (I could be wrong). I've found some of the 5-way's on import instruments to be a bit "iffy".

If I were looking for a replacement, I'd go to Stew-Mac.com--but make sure that you get the correct 5-way.

• Members

Thanks for the tips so far. It's actually a 3 way switch; just toggles between bridge, neck, or both.

In that case (if the switch does need replacing), I'd get an actual Fender Branded 3-way. But I'm not sure if there are any dimensional issues, with your guitar's carved top???

The contact cleaner cost almost as much as the new switch would cost, so if I were convinced that the switch was bad, it would make economic sense just to buy the switch.

Although the DeOxit is great stuff to have around.

I was jamming with a borrowed amp recently, and there was some problem with either the amp's input jack, or the pots near-by. Every time the cord going into the jack was moved, the guitar would cut-out.

We opened-up the amp to access the electronics, thinking maybe we could heat a bad soldered connection, but instead we tried using the DeOxit on that jack and near-by pots.

After putting the combo back together, I had no further problems with it.

Archived