My SG rings, and not in a good way.

PanaDP

• Members

My SG rings. I don't know why it rings but it rings. Very high pitched and especially on G chords. I thought it was bad tubes and I tried swapping to my spares and it persists. I also tried my guitar through a couple other amps and it rings through those, too. It's not the pickups, I just changed those (not to fish out this problem, I was going to anyway).

Here's a clip, I hope the problem is evident once it's all web-compressed.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Any idea what's causing this? It completely ruins playing clean open chords.

• Members

How high are the pickups? Are they perhaps not a little close to the strings?

They're actually a bit further than gibson's factory setting. The neck is about 1/8" from the high E fretted at the highest fret. The bridge pickup is a little bit further down, maybe 5/32nds of an inch from the high E.

• Members

does it only do it when its plugged in? if not check for strings resonating behind the nut and near the tail piece while you play. I have a few guitars that do that and have to use hair scrunchies to dampen the strings behind the nut.

• Members

To answer some of the question posed:

-It does happen when I'm not plugged in. It's very hard to hear unamplified but it is there.

-I have changed strings, only a couple days ago in fact. The problem has bridged that string change.

-The ringing happens with open strings, first position chords, and barre chords.

I've discovered something interesting, though I don't know how it helps me to fix the problem. The ringing it pitched the same as the high G (high e string, 15th fret). That's probably why an open G brings it out the most. If I leave all the strings open and tap the bridge or the tailpiece, that ringing starts up slowly and grows as I keep tapping. If you listen carefully, you can hear it in this video I did real quick to illustrate:
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

It seems like some part of the bridge likes to ring a little bit. I don't know how I would fix that. A tune-o-matic has so few moving parts and the parts that move should be held tight in place by string tension, right?

• Members

Do you have a metal wire clip on your bridge that spans across your intonation adjustment screws? If so this could be the culprit. I had this problem on my Les Paul.

I had to push down on the wire clip between the screws to add tension to the wire. It then stopped making noise.

• Members

It may be the string between the nut and the tuners ringing. Strike whatever chord or note where the ringing occurs and then place your hand on the strings after the nut and see if that stops it.

If that mutes the ringing, then next time you change strings, put more wraps around the posts. Seating the strings firmly into the nut slot should help to reduce the amount of energy that is transferred to the string between the nut and the tuning posts.

• Members

Do you have a metal wire clip on your bridge that spans across your intonation adjustment screws? If so this could be the culprit. I had this problem on my Les Paul.

I had to push down on the wire clip between the screws to add tension to the wire. It then stopped making noise.

I thought you had it. I tried playing cords and dampening all the parts of that wire and that's not it. I think it might be the screws themselves. The wire really doesn't do anything to speak of to keep the screws from vibrating. When I tune up the saddles stay put but I noticed that I can wiggle a couple of the screws quite a bit. I would have thought that gibson's machining would yield tighter threads than that. A screw shouldn't be able to wiggle when it's threaded through a hole.

• Members
How would that cause ringing?
:confused:

If there isn't a good clean 'take off point' the string could be buzzing against the saddle. I've never had it happen with a saddle, but i've had it happen with worn nut slots. It usually sounds like a resonant buzz, ringing, or overtone when it does happen.

• Members

If there isn't a good clean 'take off point' the string could be buzzing against the saddle. I've never had it happen with a saddle, but i've had it happen with worn nut slots. It usually sounds like a resonant buzz, ringing, or overtone when it does happen.

Good answer. . . good answer!!!

*Jumps up and down clapping like some boob on the Family Feud*

Archived