Slide players

Cymro#1

• Members

I like my action as low as possible (I mean BUTTERY), but for slide I have to raise it or I fret out the slide...

...I usually use GHS Rock and Roll .011's and raise the action high enough to not fret out but low enough to still be able to fret notes with my other fingers...

• Members

I set the action on my dedicated slide guitars higher than I would for regular standard-tuned playing, but not so high that it's uncomfortable to fret chords with my fingers, because my style combines both.

And -- IIRC -- Rory Gallagher had a Tele set up for slide and used it for most of his electric slide pieces.

• Members

Just wondering how many of you set up the action higher on your guitars for slide or just use the same for normal playing. Rory used the same old strat for slide and normal.

Yeah but he had a highish action. I use a highish action, but still low enough that I can fret notes. If you only want to play slide, then there is a special nut that you can use that really raises the action.

• Members

I only have one strat which has quite low action - then again I never play slide. I have a nice Crafter acoustic which has a higher action and I use this to practice slide.......been "practicing" slide for years and have come to the conclusion that it's just not for me. I find it soooo difficult but adore the sound of a great slide player. Joe Walsh is one, Rory of course and the brilliant Sonny Landreth.

• Members

I have both. I play with a higher action anyway so I have no problem playing slide on my regular guitars. I have an Xaviere tele set up for slide use with a pretty high action , tuned in open G (sometimes open D). With it I rarely use anyting but the slide. Everything else is tuned in E standard.

• Members

A bit higher. The nice thing about using a guitar with a wrap-around is that it's just a matter of raising the stoptail a little.

I also use a bottleneck slide, which is fairly light compared to brass or steel. But I still have to use a fairly light touch, especially on the first five frets or so.

• Members

I have both. I play with a higher action anyway so I have no problem playing slide on my regular guitars.

Same here. I use glass slides (Dunlop Pyrex 215), which don't clonk against the frets the way a heavy brass slide would. I often played with a guy who never liked putting together set lists so I would never know when he'd call for a tune that needed slide. I no longer play with him (bit of an overgrown 4-year-old) but I like the idea of only having one or two guitars with me (one in case I break a string). Not surprisingly, I play slide in standard tuning.

I can easily play slide on nearly all my guitars, with the possible exception of my Danelectro 12-string.

• Members

Well I dabble mostly in a couple of open tunings and like the sound of sliding down to open notes, so that area near the nut is crucial to me. If I play on a regular guitar, that is the area I'm most likely to get rattle. So I have two guitars that I use for slide and have changed the nut and left the action just a tad higher and flat. I actually like the action at the bridge to be fairly flat as well. The difference is not that dramatic and I still use these guitars for non-slide playing as well, because conquering the fretboard in standard is still my primary objective.

• Members

Mines pretty low. I hate switching guitars on stage so I play one for everything.

The flatter your radius, the easier it is to play slide chords on a guitar with low action. Otherwise, its all technique. I can do it, but it took me forever to finally get it down.

But when you do get it down, it's awesome being able to jump between fingers and slide real quick.

• Members

I put a toothpick between the strings and neck up against the nut rather than raise the bridge. Raises the strings over the neck instead of over the pickups. And when you go back to play without the slide, just take the toothpick out. Also helps flatten the neck radius.

Break the pointy ends off the toothpick - you will regret it if you don't.

• Members

I put a toothpick between the strings and neck up against the nut rather than raise the bridge. Raises the strings over the neck instead of over the pickups. And when you go back to play without the slide, just take the toothpick out. Also helps flatten the neck radius.

Break the pointy ends off the toothpick - you will regret it if you don't.

still practicing with ordinary action and open tuning, but I used to use a brass strip, L section, and drop it over the nut. Lifts by the right amount and does not noticeably affect intonation for fretting .

Archived