Got my new Jet City 20W Combo - and I am thoroughy disappointed

Meowy

• Members

First of all I plug it in flip the switch - and -- nothing - or so it seems. I peek inside after some fiddling with the plug and see the tubes are glowing. So I realize the indicator light doesn't work

People have pointed out and criticized this amp for having no clean headroom - and it has NO clean headroom. It has no headroom period, no punch, no complexity and a very raspy sound.

My SCXD embarasses this amp in every way

Back it goes

• Members

Good to know...I was actually looking at one of these as another amp. I've tried out a few inexpensive lower-powered amps recently and all but one had no clean headroom at all. Rebel 20, HT-5, Blackheart Handsome Devil were all lacking in that department. Like they were designed solely to be used with gain dialed up. They all sounded good with od'd.

The one that does have lots of clean headroom, you ask? The Bugera V22...and it takes pedal extremely well, too. That was another disappointment I had with the HT-5 that I owned for awhile- it seemed to HATE pedals. Great OD sounds but otherwise...nada.

• Members

I took my new guitar to Guitar Center to try out some amps with it, namely the Rebel 30 combo.

I sit down and one of the employees says to me, "I have a guy coming to try this out, can you make sure it works? I just took it out of the box"

Pointing at a mini stack I don't recognize with that brand. I love the little stacks so I say sure, why not.

I plug it an everything, and played it for about half an hour. I couldn't get one good tone out of it. It was buzzy and harsh sounding, lacked any kind of definition. I've played many solid state practice amps with better tone than that.

• Members
I took my new guitar to Guitar Center to try out some amps with it, namely the Rebel 30 combo.

I sit down and one of the employees says to me, "I have a guy coming to try this out, can you make sure it works? I just took it out of the box"

Pointing at a mini stack I don't recognize with that brand. I love the little stacks so I say sure, why not.

I plug it an everything, and played it for about half an hour. I couldn't get one good tone out of it. It was buzzy and harsh sounding, lacked any kind of definition. I've played many solid state practice amps with better tone than that.

Did you mean you couldn't get anything out of the Jet City or the Egnater? :confused:

• Members
Did you mean you couldn't get anything out of the Jet City or the Egnater?
:confused:

Sorry. The Jet City.

I've learned in the past year or so that actually using the knobs on the amp can really make a difference. It didn't work on that one. :facepalm:

The Egnater, however was great. If you like the Rebel 20, the 30 is even better. They fixed everything that bugged me about the 20. It's expensive, but worth it I think. I'll try and get one later in the year.

• Members
Sorry. The Jet City.

I've learned in the past year or so that actually using the knobs on the amp can really make a difference. It didn't work on that one.
:facepalm:

The Egnater, however was great. If you like the Rebel 20, the 30 is even better. They fixed everything that bugged me about the 20. It's expensive, but worth it I think. I'll try and get one later in the year.

I like the idea of the built in wattage attenuator and built in reverb. If I can ever afford one, that might just be my next amp.

• Members

^^ ... and I am reminded why I/we stay away from the Maps forum. We have our pretty much harmless Jay, Kurt, etc fanboys here too, but what a bunch of {censored}ing reading edge / "but I heard it on Youtube, so it must be great" know-it-alls over there.

Oh and TBone the ^^ was not pointing at you :), just at the xpost blurb

Archived