Speaker recommendations for Classic 50?

ESchmidt

• Members

I posted this in the amp forum, but I got nowhere and the thread sank fast.

I bought a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo today for $400. I do think the stock Blue Marvel speakers are decent, but I feel that replacing them will make the amp even better. I am partial to Celestions. I really want a nice classic/southern rock tone (Skynyrd, Free, Stones, Marshall Tucker). Heres what I am thinking:

Celestion Greenbacks

Celestion G12H30s

Celestion Vintage 30s

Which ones would you recommend (I am also open to other suggestions).

Thanks!!!

• Members

My thought is all economics then tone for your situation. You just purchased a 400 combo do you really want to spend a lot more on the speakers. As you soon as you look celestions up you price tag is way more. I love Celestion speakers. There is no question they have killer sound, but you can obtain the sound you are looking for without them. Go to usspeaker.com and check out the eminence speakers. They have sound demos on all of them. You can dial in the right speaker from there and save money.

If you had said you want a british jangle sound it would be different, but you don't.

• Members

I know my tastes are a bit different than yours, but I think I'd go for one G12H30 and one ceramic Weber Blue Dog.

The Blue Dog will add quite a bit of bottom end which I like, but if you play with quite a bit of gain, you may not prefer.

• Members

Go to
www.tedweber.com/
. The weber blue dog/silver bell combo I have used with my C30 is really nice. Others here can explain their virtues better than me. I have them in an Avatar cab and am probably getting another pair for my Peavey Classic cab.

I have a Weber Silver Bell alnico in my C30 and love the vintage rock tone. It took the amp to a whole 'nother level.

:thu:

Archived