Anyone ever paint a pickguard?

JimboJ

• Members

I have an SX strat with P-90 pickups with a tortoise shell pickguard. I'm not a big fan or the tortoise, but I can't find a replacement unless I get it custom made. I'd like to try to paint the pickguard another color, probably black. Anyone ever try this with any success? What kind of paint did you use?

• Members

I have an SX strat with P-90 pickups with a tortoise shell pickguard. I'm not a big fan or the tortoise, but I can't find a replacement unless I get it custom made. I'd like to try to paint the pickguard another color, probably black. Anyone ever try this with any success? What kind of paint did you use?

$25 at Warmoth.

• Members

I've never done it, but I'm tempted to try painting a white pickguard cream.

I'd imagine, depending on how picky you are, it would initially come out looking great, put would wear through with pick marks.

I want a matte finish so if I do my guard, I'll probably rough it up with an Scotchbrite type pad, then it it with about 5 layers of matte cream paint.

• Members

Who says the search doesn't work? Did you have that one saved?

EG

I had to use my own search function i.e. looking through every page :facepalm:

At least it was relatively recent.

BTW. Wilshires are pretty sweet! Just got mine a few days ago but as usual am too lazy / apathetic to post an NGD.

• Members

There's uncut pickguard material out there if you want to make your own. Also a lot of interesting stuff. Plexiglass, aluminum, counter tops, etc. If you find a material that suits you, put the pickguard you have over it with a little contact cement before you paint it. If you don't like the look of the paint, you've just made a template on the alternate material.

• Members

its easy.

I used acrylic paint to do a paint spatter design.

Finished it with about 6 coats of Matte finish.

That's after like 4 years of 6-8 hours a day playing and gigging.

l_ae64272be91942a78f958f8d946ef448.jpg

If your going with a single color just use some plastic fusion paint.

PS i probably have a better, less corny pic of it but im lazy to look

• Members

I have to (respectfully) disagree with folks who say its hard.

I took a normal white Fender P-bass pickguard, spraypainted it with a normal can of Rustoleum Universal Glass all-surface paint from the local Ace hardware store, and now it is a nice yellow color. The color is even and has not flaked or chipped or anything. The longest part of the job, seriously, was unscrewing the pickguard. (I painted a coat, waited 10 minutes, painted again, and again and then was done)

IMG_3028.jpg

• Members

I have this Squier '51 project I finally got started on I call the HanSolocaster (body by Mazibee who I bought it from). I sprayed a white guard with black lacquer and topcoated with Duplicolor prismatic paint. Under diffused (normal) light it looks charcoal gray metallic but when the directed light hits, it reflects and shifts color. Cool. Soon to appear on a NGD near you.

1002327e.jpg 1002331b.jpg 1002333d.jpg

• Members

I used Black Krylon Fusion to paint a white '51 pickguard.

I'm very happy with the outcome. It looks pretty damn good. I really hate white pickguards, so that helps!

You don't even need to sand, just point and shoot. In 15 minutes you've got yourself a new guard.

• Members

I was looking at the Krylon Fusion products online, and I saw they have a textured paint too.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic_textured_shimmer/

I was thinking that might look kind of cool and different, and maybe scratches wouldn't be as noticible. I was thinking either the black textured or cocoa brown textured on this... What do you think?

hawkmnmh2ts5.jpg

• Members

I have to (respectfully) disagree with folks who say its hard.

I took a normal white Fender P-bass pickguard, spraypainted it with a normal can of Rustoleum Universal Glass all-surface paint from the local Ace hardware store, and now it is a nice yellow color. The color is even and has not flaked or chipped or anything. The longest part of the job, seriously, was unscrewing the pickguard. (I painted a coat, waited 10 minutes, painted again, and again and then was done)

IMG_3028.jpg

I did the same thing with a cheap strat knock-off. It's a nice color combo.

DSCN0961.jpg

Archived