Orville vs Edwards vs Gibson (not a debate need buying help)

• Members

So I'm having les paul gas. Choice is between a Gibson Les Paul classic, Edwards vintage white les paul custom for $1000 CND, 94 Orville Flame Top for 1200 CND and a Edwards les paul standard flame top for 1200. I like the look equally, it's all about sound, price, quality and playability. I've heard many people who aren't guitar snobs say Orville and Edwards are equal to Gibson in quality and playability. I own Gibsons so I don't want anything that plays any noticeably worse.

Anybody own guitars from all these brands and can say which is the definitive guitar for your money, don't want headstock junkies inputs as I could care less about the name. I'm leaning towards the Edwards custom as it just looks great and is the cheapest, I have the money for whatever I want but am a cheapass.

EDIT: Should mention I've played ESP standard les pauls and they were as good as any Gibson I've played, are the Edwards of the same quality?

• Members

1200 bucks for a regular Orville is a bit steep in my opinion. That price should be getting you the 'by gibson' models. I have a by gibson orville and it's a great guitar. I've played USA factory gibsons and the orvilles easy measure up. There are pluses and minuses for each though in terms of specs. ObG's have 2 or 3 piece bodies, as opposed to 1 piece on USA's, but then the ObG's are solid and the USA's are all chambered or weight relieved. ObG's all have long or medium tenons and USA's only started the long tenon again this year, and at worst some years were very short rocker joints which in my opinion are obviously inferior to even a regular tenon. Some orvilles and ObG's have a neck heel piece as well. Mine has one and I don't mind but it is considered a lesser feature.

The difference between Orvilles and Orville by Gibson is the by gibsons have nitro finish and american hardware and pickups. Orvilles have japanese electronics and pickups.

• Members

Every guitar, no matter which company builds it, must be judged on an individual basis. The name on the peghead will have nothing to do with how it plays and sounds.

Edwards does make consistantly good guitars and Orville's are not bad either, but if at all possible, you need to put those guitars into your hands and play each one to determine which will be the best one for you.

The Gibson has the name recognition, but could wind up to be the worst sounding and playing guitar. It would be easier to sell the Gibson if you didn't like it, however.

I have ordered guitars from Japan and that includes Edwards, Tokai, and Fender. While I have never gotten a bad one, I really had no other guitars from those companies to compare the ones I did get along side of.

A friend of mine in Europe has a couple of Orville-by-Gibson LP's and they are really nice guitars. All of the Japanese guitars which I have owned, have all been consistantly well made. Across the line, I feel that the Japanese guitars are made consistantly better then the Gibsons.

• Members

OP didn't include the price of the Gibson for comparison.

Like the guy up a bit said, it's hard to compare without seeing and playing the actual guitars you are considering. The Orvilles and Edwards you mentioned though sound a bit spendy. Never had an Edwards, I have two Orvilles and they easily hang with Gibsons.

And pete's goldtop looks smokin' hot. :cool:

• Members

Yeah I have no way at all to put an Edwards or Orville in my hands. I'm not sure I'll be able to purchase one anymore anyway, some stupid paypal issues. Might just end up with the Gibson, it's $2200 CND for those wondering and is perfect as far as I'm concerned, after all the customs and everything the Gibson would probably be 1000 bucks more, and I intend to trade my 1953 Gibson LG3 towards it if I decide to go that route so I could probably get it for $1000 cash. :o

• Members

Orvilles are great.

Orville By Gibson cost more, but essentially they are the same apart from pickups, and for most people probably not worth the extra cost.

Make sure the Orville (not Orville by Gibson) you're buying has a serial number with just a number, not a "K" at the start of the serial number, as the "K" serial numbered guitars are not made at Fujigen, and may be made in Korea.

Also bear in mind that Orvilles do not have solid flame/quilt tops, they are a solid maple top with a flame/quilt veneer.

Edwards are a different story. There is some debate as to where they are actually made. They are finished and set up in Japan, but they may be roughly built in China.

Basically unless it says "made in japan" in ink inder the finish, it probably isn't made in Japan.

They're nice guitars, but I wouldn't pay as much for them as for an Orville.

Another one to consider are Tokai. IMO, tokai make some of the nicest Les Pauls you can get. Make sure it has "Made in Japan" inked under the finish, just where the headstock meets the neck.

They're excellent guitars.

• Members

I just sold a cream Edwards LP Custom w/ 57 Classics, and it was a near perfect guitar for me. The only reason I got rid of it was because I like my black Edwards LP Custom even better. :love:

I would have NO hesitation in buying another Edwards down the road sometime. I'd love a goldtop with P90's.

• Members

Orvilles are great.

Orville By Gibson cost more, but essentially they are the same apart from pickups, and for most people probably not worth the extra cost.

Make sure the Orville (not Orville by Gibson) you're buying has a serial number with just a number, not a "K" at the start of the serial number, as the "K" serial numbered guitars are not made at Fujigen, and may be made in Korea.

Also bear in mind that Orvilles do not have solid flame/quilt tops, they are a solid maple top with a flame/quilt veneer.

Edwards are a different story. There is some debate as to where they are actually made. They are finished and set up in Japan, but they may be roughly built in China.

Basically unless it says "made in japan" in ink inder the finish, it probably isn't made in Japan.

Another one to consider are Tokai. IMO, tokai make some of the nicest Les Pauls you can get. Make sure it has "Made in Japan" inked under the finish, just where the headstock meets the neck.

Talking about Fujigen, anyone tried the new in-house brand they have?

http://en.item.rakuten.com/k-gakki/fgn-ls10r-hd/

• Members

Orvilles are great.

No, standard orvilles are poly with japanese electronics and pickups and often more body pieces. by Gibsons are nitro and american electronics and pickups. Most of the orville fanatics on the tokai board who have had dozens (of both models), think the standard orvilles are really a good step below the by gibson models, and don't even bother with them. Personally I think the factories probably QC'd them for resonance and other factors and if they didn't measure up then they got the Orville logo and if they did then they got a by gibson.

Two factories made orvilles..fujigen and terada. The K series orvilles were made by terada in japan specifically for one retailer. There were no korean orvilles. Now one can debate which were better..but in my opinion there is virtually zero difference (spec wise anyway) from terada and fujigen. I don't have any fugigen orvilles but I do have two fujigen greco's and the orville by gibson I have is at the same quality.

The standard orvilles are veneer but there are some by gibsons that do have solid flame and perhaps solid quilt.

• Members

No, standard orvilles are poly with japanese electronics and pickups and often more body pieces. by Gibsons are nitro and american electronics and pickups. Most of the orville fanatics on the tokai board who have had dozens (of both models), think the standard orvilles are really a good step below the by gibson models, and don't even bother with them. Personally I think the factories probably QC'd them for resonance and other factors and if they didn't measure up then they got the Orville logo and if they did then they got a by gibson.

Two factories made orvilles..fujigen and terada. The K series orvilles were made by terada in japan specifically for one retailer. There were no korean orvilles. Now one can debate which were better..but in my opinion there is virtually zero difference (spec wise anyway) from terada and fujigen. I don't have any fugigen orvilles but I do have two fujigen greco's and the orville by gibson I have is at the same quality.

The standard orvilles are veneer but there are some by gibsons that do have solid flame and perhaps solid quilt.

Imho Fujigen is probably the best guitar factory in the world, (and I mean assembly line production, not luthier craftsmanship, that's a whole new business.) they pop out some of the best guitars around.

• Members

Imho Fujigen is probably the best guitar factory in the world, (and I mean assembly line production, not luthier craftsmanship, that's a whole new business.) they pop out some of the best guitars around.

I wouldn't argue that at all. They've been doing it a long time now and there QC is great. But there are other japanese factories that are amazing as well.

• Members

Yeah I love my Elite/Elitist Les Paul... What are they currently producing at that plant? I wanna check out some new stuff.

• Members

Yeah I love my Elite/Elitist Les Paul... What are they currently producing at that plant? I wanna check out some new stuff.

Well I know for sure they have a complete line of their own brand, fugigen or sometimes labeled FgN...Les Pauls, strats, tele's, etc...they make the History line as well...models up and down the price spectrum. All of which are apparently amazing guitars.

I know they may build some Ibanez models.

In the past they've built, gretsch tokai, greco, and fender and perhaps still do for some of them.

• Members

Well I know for sure they have a complete line of their own brand, fugigen or sometimes labeled FgN...Les Pauls, strats, tele's, etc...they make the History line as well...models up and down the price spectrum. All of which are apparently amazing guitars.

I know they made build some Ibanez models.

In the past they've built, gretsch tokai, greco, and fender and perhaps still do for some of them.

They make the prestige models for ibanez, atm I don't think they manufacture Yamaha but did at some point, some epis also got out of that factory, Orville by Gibson also Fujigen as far as I could find.

So their FGN line is really getting me curious. Was having a real case of Gas for a Edwards, but atm I'm tore between that and a FGN neoclassic.

Archived