Recommend a cheap attenuator for a twin.

doc oc

• Members

Love the sound of this thing but right where I like it, it's just too loud.

I have gotten a trade offer for a supersonic which is tempting, but I'm thinking maybe I should try an attenuator first.

It's the 85w 65' reissue.

• Members

Love the sound of this thing but right where I like it, it's just too loud.

I have gotten a trade offer for a supersonic which is tempting, but I'm thinking maybe I should try an attenuator first.

It's the 85w 65' reissue.

The Weber version is the least expensive I have seen, but I don't know if it is tone sucking or not.

I use a distortion pedal and/or eq pedal on a clean channel as a sort of attenuator. But, it is a bit tone sucking. You can play really quiet. But, I get the whole thing about using the natural break up of the tubes.

• Members

I like the Weber MASS series. But it's going to take some of the sparkle out of your tone - I happen to use bright dirty amps, so that's ok with me. I understand the more expensive units like Ultimate Attenuator are a lot better, but I've never heard one.

• Members

The Weber version is the least expensive I have seen, but I don't know if it is tone sucking or not.

I use a distortion pedal and/or eq pedal on a clean channel as a sort of attenuator. But, it is a bit tone sucking. You can play really quiet. But, I get the whole thing about using the natural break up of the tubes.

The Weber, like most passive attenuators, is great for taking ear-splitting, eviction-level volume down to nice satisfying moderately loud. They get pretty murky when you get down to bedroom levels though.

• Members

Why not just step down in size/power to a Super, Deluxe, etc?

I know they're not exactly the same...different speaker configurations, transformers, etc. But honestly the voicings of the amps are pretty much the same. I'd rather run a Deluxe Reverb on 4 than a Twin on 4 with an attenuator on it, you know?

I don't know how low you plan to take the volume, but there is a certain factor the pure volume itself plays in the tone. For me there is a big difference between clean below 2 on the volume and say above 3. It's still a clean sound. But at higher volumes, you have more room for dynamics (with the volume really low you can't really have dynamics), the speaker is really filling the room with air, and that's half of the magic IMO.

• Members

I have the same amp and I've heard about players pulling two of the output tubes, but I've never tried it myself. I did it to an old Mesa and it worked great, but you have to be really careful when doing this and I don't know exactly which tubes to pull. Maybe other forumites have info....

• Members

I have the same amp and I've heard about players pulling two of the output tubes, but I've never tried it myself. I did it to an old Mesa and it worked great, but you have to be really careful when doing this and I don't know exactly which tubes to pull. Maybe other forumites have info....

Does it affect the sound?

• Members

Of course, every amp is different, but you'd be pulling output tubes in a "push-pull" pair -- not preamp tubes, so it shouldn't affect tone, only output. But again, knowing which tubes to pull is key and damage could result if you do it wrong. I'd seek the advice of an expert....

• Members

did this to my marshall once when i blew a tube. had to pull 2 & 4, not sure about fenders

just wondering... back in the 70s, had a buddy who built his own attenuator. circuitry looked really simple. anyone ever DIY their own?

• Members

did this to my marshall once when i blew a tube. had to pull 2 & 4, not sure about fenders

just wondering... back in the 70s, had a buddy who built his own attenuator. circuitry looked really simple. anyone ever DIY their own?

In a Marshall, you pull either the two outer or the two inner. I don't know what a Twin circuit is like, but Marshalls were copies of the Bassman circuit more or less, so it's probably the same?

Archived