Amps, Amps, Amps

carguy

• Members

1. Pointless. Use amp #2 and turn the volume down.

2. A matter of personal taste. Somewhere out there is somebody who HATES your dream amp, and neither of you are wrong.

3. Pointless. Run amp #2 through the PA with an SM-57.

• Members

Thanks all for the replies. I actually got a lot of useful info. If I may summarize, most people suggest the following: Get a decent tube amp, which can be used at home by turning the volume down; A decent tube amp of 30 watts or so will suffice for most small gigs; and anything that requires more volume: use the PA. I guess I'll have to shop for a decent tube amp. Lots of suggestions were given that should keep me busy for a while trying some of them out. Again, my thanks! :thu:

• Members

1. Vox AC4, Fender Vibro Camp XD, Blackstar HT-5, Black Heart(all tube, all between 5 and 8 watts)

2. Crate Vintage Club or V series(all tube, 5- 100 watts, Vintage Club is the better out of the two)

3. Orange Rocker, Rocverb, or AD series, Vox AC30, Marshall JTM45(blues breaker), Ceriatone custom build(lower priced, hand built, made to your specs), Verellen(anything from Ben Verellen is badass, but they can be pricey)... i would email Nik at Ceriatone and see what he can do for you...

• Members

I was able to find a couple of nice, but ultimately inexpensive USED modeling amps for #1... Line6 Vetta, and Fender CyberTwin. Both are fun for home use, due to their ability to play with headphones, or direct out to recording.

For my "band" setting in a club, #2, I have a Mesa F-50. It's light enough to haul arounds, and sounds great anywhere I need to play. It can be quiet enough for smaller gigs, and is plenty loud for non-mic'd bar band gigs.

For the "big stage" #3, I would use the same amps, and add extension cabs... plus mic'd... I'll get my sounds, just "louder".

M

• Members

Everyone's recommendation here is meaningless without knowing what the OP wants to play and how much clean vs. crunch vs. high-gain sound is required, or channel-switching / effects loop / etc needs. That said, I use:

1) Vox Pathfinder 15R or Peavey Classic 20. Paid $40 and $250, respectively.

2) Fender Princeton Reverb (early silverface), with Stokes mod for a bit more headroom and put into a slightly bigger cabinet with a 12" speaker. May be a bit above OP's price point, but:

3) See (2) -- maybe with extension cab for a bit more stage volume, but I don't play out, especially a bigger gig, without micing my amp. No need for an additional amp for (3) frees up funds to spend a bit more on (2).

Also have used a Peavey Classic 30 for (2) and (3) on occasion, since it has switchable clean/distortion channels where the Princeton doesn't. But just acquired a Boogie DC-2 Studio Caliber that is likely to replace it. That amp has headphone jack, so could theoretically fill role (1) as well if I ever played through headphones, which I don't. Both of those are well within OP's price point for (2).

• Members

The amps I have that fit the bill.

1. Champ, AC4TV, Bugera V5, Smokey Amp, and Alamo Embassy

2. Pignose G40V and Peavey Classic 30 running through one of my 2x12's or 4x12

3. Not in my arsenal but would have to be some sort of fire breathing Marshall full stack

• Members

1) Maybe a Blackstar ht5? Anyway it has still too much volume for neighbours :rolleyes:

2) Mesa boogie studio 22+ (the one with graphic eq): cheap, great tone, enough volume for gigging, easy to mic up for bigger venues. In alternative a mesa caliber 50+ or dual caliber (if two separate channels are required), even if they could cost a little more than 500 $.

3) It depends on your actual needs. If I had to choose just one amp, it would probably be a Marshall Jmp 2203, with some good pedals (a couple of od, a delay, maybe an eq) and a 4x12 cab laoded with EVM12L speakers.

Archived