Amps, Amps, Amps

carguy

• Members

This may be off topic in the Electric Guitar Forum, but still appropriate to electric guitar players; Let's divide this into 3 separate categories. I've seen requests for advice on all three on the EG forum as well as on the Acoustic Forum. I can't say about the Amps forum, never go there. :D

1. The bedroom, practice amp. Should be very affordable (cheap), have a headphone jack, and still have nice cleans and distortion. Tube amp? Price point probably would be less than $300.

2. In-between amp. Loud enough for most gigs, like small clubs, bars, etc. Affordable enough for the working musician. Tube amp? How many watts? Can you get something decent for around $500?

3. The Big Rig. Probably a head and 4X12 cab for huge gigs, outdoor events etc. Price maybe would not be so much a concern here, but ample power would be.

What would you recommend in each category?

• Members

1. Something by Peavey or Behringer, maybe Line 6. decent amount of tones with decent tone at low volume. Also Valve Jr. or Blackheart for tube tone.

2. Peavey Valveking 1x12, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Epiphone Blues Custom 30. All tube, all 50 watts or under. Good tones to be had from all, great tone from all with a few tweaks.

3. Anything

• Members

1) not really important to me

2) Orange tiny terror, Egnater rebel 20 (or 30)... got to be a tubie, IMHO and around 15 to 30 watts.

3) Twin Reverb w/extention cab... if needed (I would still prefer to mic an amp (smaller) for a large venue. The sound is much better and the sound guy won't want to kill you)

• Members

I've been recently filling out my Amps too, and recently bought a 15w Blackheart Handsome Devil. Absolutely love this thing. It's got a 7w/15w switch so I can play it at bedroom levels in my apartment studio. It's pretty loud, but probably not enough for gigging. It was also pretty cheap for the quality. The thing is built like a damn tank.

As for #2 and #3, I think the Blackheart could be useful for #2, but for #3 I'm looking at the Blackheart Hothead 100w.

Well, assuming I ever actually need one that is.

• Members

My usuals are;

1. Belcat V35RG,

2. Fender Pro Junior (or two),

3. Marshall JTM45 and/or Dynacord Reference 602 with a mixture of cabs.

I sometimes use a Sansamp into a stereo rig based on a Marshall AS100 and a couple of 120w keboard amps too if I'm not sure of the gig. Totally predictable (and very good) sound at any volume level.

• Members

I think it's a dumb way to go, I'd rather have something which I know can do all things.

I would if one existed. I like to have some channel-switching veratility and a touch of reverb on my living room amp, but not on a stage amp.

• Members

I think it's a dumb way to go, I'd rather have something which I know can do all things. Get a great amp that can work in bars, turn it down when you are at home.

That'd be nice, but my AC30 is my gig amp, period, and the thought of playing it at home (even with an attenuator) is, frankly, terrifying.

• Members

1. The bedroom, practice amp.

2. In-between amp.

3. The Big Rig.

1. Peavey Vypyr, or for a tube option Blackstar HT-5. These are the best sounding and most versatile options IMO.

2. I don't really see the need for an in-between amp - between option 1 and 3 you should be able to cover your bases

3. VHT/Fryette Deliverance 60 + VHT/Fryette speaker cab. This rig can cover tones from old school JMP-type stuff all the way to the most aggressive modern metal in a single channel.

If you would like even more clean headroom opt for the Deliverance 120 instead.

• Members

1)Twin Reverb w/extention cab... if needed (I would still prefer to mic an amp (smaller) for a large venue. The sound is much better and the sound guy won't want to kill you)

This.

Not nearly as hard to transport, and still gets the job done. Plus guitarists always feel that nobody can hear them, causing them to "turn up" and create a wave of deafening noise. The sound guy is your best friend.

• Members

1) no idea and don't care none of those little amps sound very good

2) deluxe reverb/ac15 type. 1x12 and 15-30w is the ultimate balance of portability and good tone at reasonable levels. Yeah, you can play a stack at a small gig, but have fun lugging it around.

3) Fuchs ods. Wonderful amp.

A good amp is really the key to good tone. Don't skimp.

• Members

1. The bedroom, practice amp. Should be very affordable (cheap), have a headphone jack, and still have nice cleans and distortion. Tube amp? Price point probably would be less than $300.

2. In-between amp. Loud enough for most gigs, like small clubs, bars, etc. Affordable enough for the working musician. Tube amp? How many watts? Can you get something decent for around $500?

3. The Big Rig. Probably a head and 4X12 cab for huge gigs, outdoor events etc. Price maybe would not be so much a concern here, but ample power would be.

1) Peavey Royal 8

2) Vox Night Train / Orange Tiny Terror / Traynor Dark Horse / Marshall Haze15 / 5E3 clone

3) Marshall VintageModern and VM 4X12 w Greenbacks.

• Members

1) No idea. I use my gigging amps at home.

2) Just about any decent tube amp, from a Vox AC15 to a Marshall JVM to a Twin. If you want portability get a combo or a head and 2x12. If not, feel free to get a head and 4x12.

3) See 2

• Members

I mostly use a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe for everything, but here goes:

1. Vox DA5 with an 8" Weber speaker. Sounds fuller than the stock 6.5" though not really much louder. I actually play it through an Electro Voice 12L most of the time thus defeating the idea of such a small amp.

2. Either the 5E3 clone or a Vox AC15H1TV. LOVE both of them, but I doubt I will ever part with the clone.

3. I don't gig, but I have a Fender Twin II and two extra JBL speakers in a 2x12 which I think would cover just about every possible scenario I could find myself in. Having said that, I think I'd just use the 5E3 and mic it.

:idk:

• Members

I mostly use a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe for everything, but here goes:

1. Vox DA5 with an 8" Weber speaker. Sounds fuller than the stock 6.5" though not really much louder. I actually play it through an Electro Voice 12L most of the time thus defeating the idea of such a small amp.

+1 on the vox DA5. Unless you need the brootalz this thing is perfect. I actually did a small jazz gig around last Christmas using this amp. Plenty loud for that kind of gig. It kept up with an amplified keyboard and an amplified standup bass just fine and both the other musicians loved the tone.

2. All the tube amps suggested are great but there are other SS alternatives like the Peavey Bandit or Envoy, the Tech21 stuff, etc.

3. If it is that big a venue you could mic your medium powered rig and put it through the pa. If that doesn't appeal to you then use the other ideas.

• Members

1. Vox AD15VT old or new model

2. Not qualified to answer

3. Not qualified to answer

I have an older Vox AD15 and it covers all I need and more for someone who plays in their bedroom and is a beginner. I would replace it only with the newer Vox 'cos it has separate reverb or one of the Fender SCXDs.

• Members

I bought a Mesa 5:25 Express to cover all 3 categories. When I play live it is 25 watt and mic'd, when I play at home I use the 5 watt mode or 25 watt, it sounds pretty good at low volumes as well as stage volumes. For those quiet times I have a Tascam GT-MP1 and a Boss Micro BR.:thu:

• Members

1) VoxAC4, or one of the VTs. Maybe an Epi Valve Jr. Im in the market for a small bedroom tube amp, and the AC4 and the ValveJr are at the top of my list.

2) PEAVEY DELTA BLUES. I also really dig the Epi Custom Blues. Both of these are 30 and pleeeeeeeeeenty of power for small gigs.

3) can't say, nowhere near enough experience to comment.

Archived