Best 7 String Guitar

Count Dissident

• Members

I have 2 seven stringers and I nominate them for best bang for the buck. First is the Schecter Jeff Loomis FR, not much for bells and whistles but a definate in your face metal player, heavy as hell too. Next is the C-7 Hellraiser, string thru body with push/pulls on both volume knobs as coil splitters. The Loomis was 999 and the C-7 HR was 800.

• Members

I've got 3 here.

Firstly a Peavey Predator 7...a decent enough guitar, plays and sounds OK without being anything special, but was stupid cheap. I got this just to mess around on a 7 string.

Squier Stratocaster VII...this is actually really nice, and though it has a 'bucker in the bridge it's not really a "Metal" guitar, but the extended range is great for jazz fusion type stuff, and old Duane Eddy type licks.

Ibanez RG 7620... This is really nice. It's been upgraded a fair bit (new pickups, wiring, Tremel-no etc) but feels like a step up, nice build, great feeling neck. Does the Brutalz, but cleans up nicely too.

Dont know how much these run at, but it would be the one I kept of the three.

:thu:

• Members

Pretty much all of the manufacturers of "metal" guitars have 7 and 8 stringers out there so if you have any particular brand preference already then they have probably got you covered. If you don't have a brand preference, then you might want to give something like this a look (available with either maple or rosewood fretboard).

RG1527RB.jpg

• Members

Ibanez also has the RGD series for 2010 and its a nice looking 7 string with a slightly longer scale, if your looking to buy new.

but the 7620's are top guitars mostly because they have the lo-pro edge tremolo on them and you can buy them fairly cheap

• Members

for a fixed bridge, you want the 7621:thu:

7321 is indonesia (?)

7421 is half japan half indo

7621 is japan

well, atleast i know that the 6 means japan.

the 7421 has the same neck as the 7621 but the body is not from japan.

therefore the 7620 is japanese with the lo-pro edge trem and the 7621 is japanese with a fixed bridge.

• Members

for a fixed bridge, you want the 7621:thu:

7321 is indonesia (?)

7421 is half japan half indo

7621 is japan

well, atleast i know that the 6 means japan.

the 7421 has the same neck as the 7621 but the body is not from japan.

therefore the 7620 is japanese with the lo-pro edge trem and the 7621 is japanese with a fixed bridge.

Ibanez is the only company in my experience that country of origin does not matter when it comes to quality - unless it is from China.

The Made in Indonesia ones can be in a blind test next to a Made in Korea and Made in Japan and hold its own.

• Members

Ibanez is the only company in my experience that country of origin does not matter when it comes to quality - unless it is from China.

The Made in Indonesia ones can be in a blind test next to a Made in Korea and Made in Japan and hold its own.

unless it was a 7420 and a 7620 in which case the edge owns the trs

• Members

unless it was a 7420 and a 7620 in which case the edge owns the trs

That is only one piece of hardware that can be swapped out easily. The wood work, binding, etc. is top notch (unless it is from China) which a lot of other companies cannot say.

• Members

Standard "Carvin for a 7" answer...

Carvin's suck. I have one and it's a $1,500 Pile of {censored}. Wanna buy it?

I'd love to sell it but it's probably worth a fraction of what I paid. The Carvin resale value sucks. I would recommend the Music Man 7 string BFR's or a Universe.

I owned one of those Swirl Universe's. Sounded amazing but the guitar was ugly so I sold it.

• Members

Carvin's suck. I have one and it's a $1,500 Pile of {censored}. Wanna buy it?

I'd love to sell it but it's probably worth a fraction of what I paid. The Carvin resale value sucks. I would recommend the Music Man 7 string BFR's or a Universe.

I owned one of those Swirl Universe's. Sounded amazing but the guitar was ugly so I sold it.

Neither the Universe or the MusicMan 7 will pass for bang for the buck 7

string guitars man... Get with the program here, mmmmmmmmkay?

• Members

damn, i wish you let that go to me... for cheap...

I paid $3,000 for the Ibanez Universe and sold it for $1,500. About a week after I sold it somebody offered me $2,900 for it ... Oh well it's only $1,500. I was happy just to get rid of it.

Like I said it sounded killer, I just couldn't stand to look at that guitar as it's one of the ugliest guitars I have ever owned.

• Members

Thanks for all of the replys! Here is my thoughts on the guitars mentioned.

-Ibanez RG7621: looks like a solid hardtail option but they seem like they could be kinda tough to track down.

-Washburn WG587: Bought one before...returned it the next day. Just horrible IMO.

-ESP/LTD: Never a huge fan of the few I have tried

-Ibanez Universe: Great guitar(and would be my first choice) but I agree,not sure it would really qualify as "bang for the buck." I would love to track one down in player's condition that would break the bank!

-Agile: I don't know much about these guitars. How are the Agile pickups? I have also read that these guitars can be kinda hit or miss.

-Ibanez RG7620: Probably my leading candidate,but for the used price tag and pickup upgrade likely being needed...is it still the best choice?

-Schecter Hellraiser C-7FR or Loomis FR: Seem like solid,versatile guitars and I can definitely see why they should be considered as "bang for the buck" guitars. Being a longtime Ibanez player,I question whether I would like the neck thickness in the long run. Also, I'm not sure which one would even be the better choice between the two.

Another guitar I have been looking into is the Jackson Slat3-7 Soloist. They seem like they could be a very good guitar,but I question the tremolo system in comparison to the OFR. Also,I don't know if they could still be considered "bang for the buck" in comparison to the Schecters or an upgraded RG7620.

Also,any thoughts on the Ibanez S-7320?

Thanks again for all of the replys!

-Count

Archived