Do acoustic, electric and bass guitars have all the same fingerings for the notes?

shuwang

• Members

My friend and I are planning on starting a band and she plays electric and I want to play bass. I was wondering if they both have the same fingerings for the notes. And there is an acoustic guitar that I might buy if it will help me learn how to play bass too. I know it sounds kinda dumb but do acoustic guitars, electric guitars and bass guitars have the same fingerings for the same notes?

• Members

I'll add a yes until you get to more than 4 strings on a bass. A 5 string bass adds a low B that you won't find on a guitar. I'm not sure what the sixth string on a 6 string bass is tuned to, but a six string bass won't be the same as a six string guitar.

• Members

I'll add a yes until you get to more than 4 strings on a bass. A 5 string bass adds a low B that you won't find on a guitar. I'm not sure what the sixth string on a 6 string bass is tuned to, but a six string bass won't be the same as a six string guitar.

I've always assumed the 6th string would be a G, in keeping with the guitar tuning thing, though I really don't know for sure.

• Members

I've always assumed the 6th string would be a G, in keeping with the guitar tuning thing, though I really don't know for sure.

The fifth string would be a G. You'd have B-E-A-D-G-? Probably another B but I don't know. If I cared enough I'd google it.

• Members

Acoustic and electric use identical fingerings, yes. The only difference between an electric and acoustic guitar is that... well... one's acoustic, one's electric :lol:

For bass, it's the bottom four strings of a guitar, but lowered an octave. On guitar, the string tuning goes:

e

B

G

D

A

E

And the bass goes

G

D

A

E

So those are the same notes as the bottom four strings of an electric guitar, but an octave lower since it's a bass.

Hope that helps :)

Archived