The_Robot

• Members

Well, I put a Bigsby B7 on it!

Here it is before the transformation:

DSC__0002.jpg

And with the Bigsby:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

It feels so much better with the Bigsby! I don't think it affects the tone so much really. But it is much smoother to play than before. And it actually stays in tune very well with the B7! Maybe I'll put a Bigsby on my Les Paul Classic to? :lol:

So, what do you guys think? :thu:

• Members

If your guitar stays in tune just as well and it sounds and feels as you like, then you did a good thing.

Sometimes, adding a Bigsby will not offer the results you have obtained. It becomes a gamble, especially when holes need to be drilled into the top.

My only complaint with the tension bar is that it is so close to the bridge on LP's. It sits better on the ES-3X5's.

• Members

Wow...that looks great...good job!:cool:

I think the tuning problems associated with Bigsbys are way over inflated...I put a B7 on my Tokai ES 120 four or five months ago and besides having to widen a couple of slots in the nut I haven't had any issues...I can whammy all day long and the thing stays in tune like a rock.:cool:

• Members

Wow...that looks great...good job!
:cool:

I think the tuning problems associated with Bigsbys are way over inflated...I put a B7 on my Tokai ES 120 four or five months ago and besides having to widen a couple of slots in the nut I haven't had any issues...I can whammy all day long and the thing stays in tune like a rock.
:cool:

Yup. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about the nut. Of course, there are the saddles and stuff, but I'd say the nut is the biggest factor. Graphite is your friend.

I must compliment you on your new Bigsby again, OP. The guitar looks absolutely beautiful :love:

• Members

If your guitar stays in tune just as well and it sounds and feels as you like, then you did a good thing.

Sometimes, adding a Bigsby will not offer the results you have obtained. It becomes a gamble, especially when holes need to be drilled into the top.

My only complaint with the tension bar is that it is so close to the bridge on LP's. It sits better on the ES-3X5's.

My bigsby isn't mounted flat against the top. My luthier put some washers under it so it would come up a little from the body. This way the angle to the bridge isn't that dramatic as it in on other Pauls I've seen. Also, the spring on my bigsby is quite stiff, so that surely helps tuning stability.

I was a bit worried before actually because of the angle on other Bigsby's I have seen on Les Pauls, but with the washers the angle is quite the same as with a regular tailpiece.

Here's a picture of what i mean:

DSC__0001.jpg

Sorry if my english contains many errors, but I try my best to write as good as possible.. :wave:

• Members

My bigsby isn't mounted flat against the top. My luthier put some washers under it so it would come up a little from the body. This way the angle to the bridge isn't that dramatic as it in on other Pauls I've seen. Also, the spring on my bigsby is quite stiff, so that surely helps tuning stability.

I was a bit worried before actually because of the angle on other Bigsby's I have seen on Les Pauls, but with the washers the angle is quite the same as with a regular tailpiece.

Here's a picture of what i mean:

DSC__0001.jpg

Sorry if my english contains many errors, but I try my best to write as good as possible..
:wave:

Wow! :eek: Thank you for the explanation. Your english is excellent..do not short-change yourself about that. :thu:

That is a great idea your lutheir had about the washers. I'm glad it worked out well for you. The guitar looks really fine...much better with the Bigsby then without it.

Enjoy that bad boy.:thu:

• Members

If it were me, I would not convert the other 'Paul to a Bigsby. I find the advantages and experience of having multiple guitars is enhanced when they are not too much the same.

If you still want to convert it, there is a no-drill Bigsby kit- you can un-do the mod without any marks.

YMMV...

• Members

Wow!
:eek:
Thank you for the explanation. Your english is excellent..do not short-change yourself about that.
:thu:

That is a great idea your lutheir had about the washers. I'm glad it worked out well for you. The guitar looks really fine...much better with the Bigsby then without it.

Enjoy that bad boy.
:thu:

Thank you very much!

And yes, I will! :thu:

Archived