How to make a white pickup less white?

Crunchtime

• Members

I just put a white pickup in my white Les Paul and it sounds great. The problem is my LP has aged to a yellowish color which is really cool but the white pickup looks pretty weird in it.

Is there anyway to " relic " this pickup so it looks like it belongs and does not stick out like a sore thumb? I thought of rubbing it down with some brown shoe polish.

• Members

Buy some Bobbin Toppers in creme rather than white. They're cheap and work great. It's a very thin cling-vinyl film you put over the top of the pickup to change it's appearance. If you change your mind later, they pull right off with no damage done. Here's the webpage for Bobbin Toppers:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm

Brian over there hooked me up with a couple of creme toppers, they're like $2 apiece, so all told with shipping my order was a whopping $6 or so. They came in a matter of days. They're a little tricky to get on, but once you've got 'em the way you want, from a foot away you'd never know your pickup wasn't the real deal.

Before:

CassieCloseupForWeb800Wide.JPG

After:

zebra1closeupForWeb800Wide.JPG

• Members

are you serious?

yup!

I worked in the paint and plastics industry as a chemist for 25 years. We used to test paint and plastic samples in a xenon arc weatherometer (a mega sun-bed!) to simulate 5 years outdoors in a Florida climate.

I'm guessing that the guys doing these high-end relic guitars are using UV radiation (like you get from sun-beds) to get the natural ageing effects they get on their guitars.

Archived