I ♥ my cheap tele, but thinking of moving up.

twofoolsaminute

• Members

I've had a cheap Jay Turser Tele for a couple years now. It is by far my favorite guitar to play. So, I'm thinking that if I love this guitar, I'd love a higher end model even more. So..the best I could do would be on of the MIM model fenders or the equivalent.

So, I have to decide if I prefer the quality over variety. I'd have to sell off a couple of my electrics and a couple of my acoustics to buy one. Is an upgrade like this worth it, do you think?

• Members

Personally I prefer to have a few nice guitars opposed to several mediocre guitars. This is just my opinion and theres nothing wrong with lower end guitars. I think its worth the upgrade if you like the style of the guitar. If you plan on buying for new price you could probably find a used american or CIJ for close to the same price on craigslist. :thu:

• Members

You may or may not be served by an upgrade. Sometimes there's a certain magic that happens with certain guitars for no reason at all. Everything just comes together at just the right time and place to fit perfectly with everything else. When this happens, no matter the price of the guitar, you will be hard pressed to find another you like better.

Do not be suckered by the newness of anything.

You may also just be a Tele person and like the differences in each one you play, and enjoy playing them all. Either way, make sure you wind up with what you like - head stocks and price tags be damned.

• Members

You may or may not be served by an upgrade. Sometimes there's a certain magic that happens with certain guitars for no reason at all. Everything just comes together at just the right time and place to fit perfectly with everything else. When this happens, no matter the price of the guitar, you will be hard pressed to find another you like better.

Do not be suckered by the newness of anything.

You may also just be a Tele person and like the differences in each one you play, and enjoy playing them all. Either way, make sure you wind up with what you like - head stocks and price tags be damned.

So much truth.

I'd just add that you asked if an upgrade is worth it. The only way to find out is to go play some other Teles (the Squier CV is nice and there are some great MIMs out there as well) and see if you feel like they are "better" enough than your Turser to justify the purchase.

There's no shame in having a Turser as your only Tele if you dig it.

Teles are my favorite solidbody electric. I've played them for 30 years and owned some great ones and some nice early vintage ones. Right now all I have is a cheap SX Tele, but it's a darn nice guitar...btter than some Squiers and Fenders I've owned, but not as good as a lot of others. Certainly feels good and suits my needs.

• Members

Wow...so you guys really hold that CV Squier in that high regard. I wouldn't have even given it a second look. As far as the Hwy 1, I don't know...something about it doesn't appeal to me, but I'll give it a second look.

As to whether the Turser is just what I like and that maybe I'd be disappointed in an upgrade, that's precisely what I'm afraid of. It was $130 new and I just got it to see if I'd enjoy a Tele style guitar. And it is what I've always been missing. I can always get the "right" sound out of it. But it is budget (four piece body, Chrome steel saddles, mediocre tuning machines, an iffy 3-way switch and cheap ceramic pickups)

Of course I could replace all of that for less than the price of a $600-$800 guitar, but I can't help but long for a nicer, more traditional tele.

And...what about other brands. Are there other that compare favorably with the Fenders for a decent price. G&L ASAT probably....any others?

• Members

I've had a cheap Jay Turser Tele for a couple years now. It is by far my favorite guitar to play. So, I'm thinking that if I love this guitar, I'd love a higher end model even more. So..the best I could do would be on of the MIM model fenders or the equivalent.

So, I have to decide if I prefer the quality over variety. I'd have to sell off a couple of my electrics and a couple of my acoustics to buy one. Is an upgrade like this worth it, do you think?

I'd go try a few and see if they felt and sounded like an upgrade to you...sometimes a move 'up' can be little more than a move 'over' and often a lot of it is psychological. If you love the feel of that guitar and feel that you need to go 'up' then why not just replace the pickups to something high end?

As to your question about G&L...they can often be had for very little on the second hand market.

• Members

The Squier CV is very good - I have played many and owned one... and I have also owned two Bajas and played loads... and I have to say the Baja is superior to me. This all depends on what exactly you want, but even the basic sounds on the Baja are a bit better to my ear - more complex and covering a wider sound spectrum somehow.

But I would hang onto your cheapie if you really like it. It may be that it is actually a really superb guitar - better than many guitars three times its price. This is the way with guitars. You should ignore the price tag and the name on the headstock.

• Members
Yeah - there're a lot of CV nuthuggers around here, but I vastly prefer the MIM standard tele -- more substantial, more comfortable neck, and better hardware. YMMV...

Really like my CV over any MIM standard, perfer the neck, pickups, non-veneered pine body, vintage tuners, and gloss maple necks. Really don't like the satin necks on the mims, although the newer tinted ones do look better than the older pasty white ones. Which goes to show you guitar buying really is subjective and you have decide based on what you want in a guitar

FILE0602.jpg

• Members

No! A guitar that you love to play is worth far more than one that you've never played before. Think of it like a lady, or a like gent if that's the way you're bent.

What inspires you about the guitar? Strings? Pickups? Well, don't all electrics have those? Now translate that into, I dunno, boobs and lovely stroke-able hair?

No, that's not what makes you happy with the guitar. What makes you happy is . . . again, I dunno. But I know you're happy with it. You've said as much.

Why trade in that girl-next-door in for a siliconed ditz?

Buy your sweetie something nice, or even better just stroke (play) her nightly. She'll pay you back in spades.

:fap:fap:fap:

{must stop spending time in amp forum, apparently . . .}

• Members

No! A guitar that you love to play is worth far more than one that you've never played before. Think of it like a lady, or a like gent if that's the way you're bent.

What inspires you about the guitar? Strings? Pickups? Well, don't all electrics have those? Now translate that into, I dunno, boobs and lovely stroke-able hair?

No, that's not what makes you happy with the guitar. What makes you happy is . . . again, I dunno. But I know you're happy with it. You've said as much.

Why trade in that girl-next-door in for a siliconed ditz?

Buy your sweetie something nice, or even better just stroke (play) her nightly. She'll pay you back in spades.

:fap:fap:fap:

{must stop spending time in amp forum, apparently . . .}

The amp forum will ruin you.

I would swap pickups and see what happened, too.

• Members

When I went on my Tele hunt, it came down to the Baja and the 52 RI Hotrod. I preferred the Hotrod and bought that but the Baja was a really nice feeling Tele.

That said, make you play as many as you can before you get rid of your JT. Forget about price and brand. The best guitar is the one that feels and sounds best to you. Just make sure you don't lose what you already have.

Archived