1 x 12 Cabinet project on the ULTRA cheap...check this out.

DRPool

• Members

I've got a couple unused WGS speakers collecting dust. I'm thinking this project and some duct tape and it's a new 2 x 12 for me this weekend.

Here's the how to:

[YOUTUBE]dEvaFQ2j1n8[/YOUTUBE]

There's a link to part 2 where he demo's the speaker.

• Members

It's certainly better than nothing, but if you just want to build an ugly enclosure, MDF is like $18 a sheet. They will even do the cuts for you if you aren't comfortable with power tools. You'd have to get a jigsaw to cut the hole for the actual speaker though. Still, for like $22, you'd have a solid enclosure that would sound great and last pretty much forever, just wouldn't be terribly attractive.

My fear with using the actual speaker box is it's only slightly larger than the speaker itself and usually small boxes lead to - wait for it - BOXY sound. It sounds small because it physically IS small.

A good big of the sound projects forward from the edges of the enclosure so a given speaker in a 22 x 15 enclosure will usually sound considerably bigger than a 13x13 enclosure. Of course, the difference is more pronounced if you sit/stand directly in front of the enclosure and it will be more pronounced the louder you play so if you tend to stand adjacent to it and play and bedroom levels, there probably won't be a tremendous difference.

But, it's free to try. Just don't pass judgement on the speaker if it sounds unexceptional.

• Members

It's certainly better than nothing, but if you just want to build an ugly enclosure, MDF is like $18 a sheet. They will even do the cuts for you if you aren't comfortable with power tools. You'd have to get a jigsaw to cut the hole for the actual speaker though. Still, for like $22, you'd have a solid enclosure that would sound great and last pretty much forever, just wouldn't be terribly attractive.

My fear with using the actual speaker box is it's only slightly larger than the speaker itself and usually small boxes lead to - wait for it - BOXY sound. It sounds small because it physically IS small.

A good big of the sound projects forward from the edges of the enclosure so a given speaker in a 22 x 15 enclosure will usually sound considerably bigger than a 13x13 enclosure. Of course, the difference is more pronounced if you sit/stand directly in front of the enclosure and it will be more pronounced the louder you play so if you tend to stand adjacent to it and play and bedroom levels, there probably won't be a tremendous difference.

But, it's free to try. Just don't pass judgement on the speaker if it sounds unexceptional.

Thanks Cratz, good info. I get the boxy sound problem but as you see in the vid, it can be used as either an open or closed back. That might help with the boxy issue.

Archived