Interest check - pedals built using BYOC kits . . .

etawful

• Members

I'm contemplating building some of these kits and offering completed pedals for sale.

Would probably offer some fuzz and distortion pedals to start.

I'm just curious if anyone here would have an interest in completed pedals from those kits?

• Members

Why would I buy something from you I could make myself?

You would be better off painting the boxes, giving them a stupid name and charging the morons a lot of money for them.

Unlike many folks out there, you (and I) know how to solder and have no fears of doing so.

Lots of folks aren't willing to do it. That's why I'm doing an interest check.

• Members

I wouldn't unless you're going to offer variations on those pedals. BYOC kits are expensive enough that I could go out and buy a lot of the pedals they're based on for about the same money as the kit. Once you mark it up for your labor, that's become the expensive option.

• Members

I wouldn't unless you're going to offer variations on those pedals. BYOC kits are expensive enough that I could go out and buy a lot of the pedals they're based on for about the same money as the kit. Once you mark it up for your labor, that's become the expensive option.

I have some ideas for some customizations too, but I need to test them first. Some of what I'm considering might be kind of tough to fit in the enclosure properly so I need to figure out exactly how to fit it and make it user friendly to control (I'll provide full details once I know I can make it work).

• Members

Unlike many folks out there, you (and I) know how to solder and have no fears of doing so.

Lots of folks aren't willing to do it. That's why I'm doing an interest check.

From the BYOC site:

Q: Do I need to know how to solder to build any of the kits?

A: No, but it certainly helps. BYOC pcb's have plated through holes which make soldering much

much easier than other pcb's so don't be afraid. But there are lots of instructional vid clips on the

net if you want a few pointers.

• Members

From the BYOC site:

Q: Do I need to know how to solder to build any of the kits?

A: No, but it certainly helps. BYOC pcb's have plated through holes which make soldering much

much easier than other pcb's so don't be afraid. But there are lots of instructional vid clips on the

net if you want a few pointers.

There are a lot of people here that would pay a tech to install a new pot on a guitar, if they can't do that, what makes you think they'd build this?

Tell you what . . . if you aren't interested, say so, move on. You don't need to quote me {censored} I've already read.

• Members

You said a lot of people don't want to solder. BYOC says you don't need to know how.

I think you would have better luck designing your own pedals - maybe adding a mod onto a BYOC pedal and then buying your parts from Mouser or something.

• Members

You said a lot of people don't want to solder. BYOC says you don't need to know how.

I think you would have better luck designing your own pedals - maybe adding a mod onto a BYOC pedal and then buying your parts from Mouser or something.

There are very few pedals left to design. The pedals that do the best are variations or re-issues of long-existing designs. (once again, I do have some mods in mind, it's just figuring out how to fit them in a small enclosure instead of upping the size of the box considerably).

They can say that you don't need to solder all they want, but the fact is that if you don't know how to solder, you're going to have a mighty hard time keeping components firmly attached to a PCB.

• Members

There are a lot of people here that would pay a tech to install a new pot on a guitar, if they can't do that, what makes you think they'd build this?

Tell you what . . . if you aren't interested, say so, move on. You don't need to quote me {censored} I've already read.

If you are so sure that people will be interested.... WHY in the world are you asking for opinions???

They give you their opinions and you get upset!!!

BIG :facepalm:

and BTW, I would not be interested, unless you were local and with known reputation, so if something goes bad I know that you will provide warranty service...

Omar :thu:

• Members

I built their British Blues pedal about 9 months ago. That thing kicks ass. It's the only overdrive I use now. I think you would be able to sell a couple of those.

Thank you. Now, if there was anything you could change about that pedal, what would it be?

• Members

Thank you. Now, if there was anything you could change about that pedal, what would it be?

The instructions came with a couple of different mods you could do while building the pedal. I think it even came with some different value parts in the kit for those mods. One of the mods was to reduce the treble and I forgot what the other was. I built mine stock and I liked the way it sounded so I didn't do any mods on mine.

• Members

You could make it cheaper. Buy all your parts in bulk and sell the completed pedal cheaper then the kit.

You're right. I could. And, I may end up doing it that way. I have some ideas that would start out with the typical circuits they offer, but I have some ideas for switching that I can't imagine would fit in the box they include.

The more I think about it, the more I start to think that using their PCB, while easy, won't really allow the flexibility I want.

• Members

Unless your time is worth nothing or you solder like The Flash the cost of labor should make these pedals more expensive than factory pedal. Why would I buy a BYOC assembled from you when I could just buy a factory-made pedal with a warranty for what will likely be the same price?

• Members

Unless your time is worth nothing or you solder like The Flash the cost of labor should make these pedals more expensive than factory pedal. Why would I buy a BYOC assembled from you when I could just buy a factory-made pedal with a warranty for what will likely be the same price?

Why would someone buy a strat made from Warmoth (or other) parts when they could by a MIM Strat with a warranty for less?

• Members

Why would someone buy a strat made from Warmoth (or other) parts when they could by a MIM Strat with a warranty for less?

Your analogy doesn't work.

People buy from Warmoth because they can piece together the exact group of parts and components they want to make a truly unique, customized instrument with all their preferred specs.

If you're just offering to assemble something from a kit (even with your own mod), that's not the same as someone building a one-off, custom spec'd piece of gear.

For that, people are willing to pay more.

• Members

Your analogy doesn't work.

People buy from Warmoth because they can piece together the exact group of parts and components they want to make a truly unique, customized instrument with all their preferred specs.

If you're just offering to assemble something from a kit (even with your own mod), that's not the same as someone building a one-off, custom spec'd piece of gear.

For
that
, people are willing to pay more.

First, I said buy it already made from those parts, not buy it and build it yourself.

Second, the analogy works very well, as both involve building something using readily available parts based on already existing designs customized with various modifications.

But think what you will.

Archived