Is the Wilkinson VS100 the best 2-point trem?

wkrantz7

• Members

I have a 2-point floating non-locking trem slot in my strat body, and I'm looking into various bridges- in particular the VS100 since I've read good things and since I have one on a guitar I love. Is this the best 2-point trem and does anyone know the damn difference between the different kinds?

• Members

I have a 2-point floating non-locking trem slot in my strat body, and I'm looking into various bridges- in particular the VS100 since I've read good things and since I have one on a guitar I love. Is this the best 2-point trem and does anyone know the damn difference between the different kinds?

I have had 2 Wilkensons. I think they were about the best around. I like the offset g string saddle makes it easier to intonate. The 2 point I got from GFS (iguess they are the same, I don't know why they seem cheaper at GFS) It installed very easily. The other was a vintage trem with the 6 holes. I have bought the Fender vintage trem and it broke strings and I think I picked up a lot of sustain when I changed over as well. I don't know if I would replace one on an American Strat but I put one on my Fender Classic 60's and an SX strat I modded.

• Members

I've used Wilkinsons, vintage Gotohs, and a couple of generic models (the no-names, such as you GFS types) over the years.

The Gotohs I've used are older models, but are very similar to the Wilkinsons (different string saddles). Both are high-quality units, but I would say the Wilkinson is about the best, as far as quality. There are some "boutique" trem units that are similar (and probably superior) to the Wilkie, but I haven't personally used one, so I can't really comment on them. (I've seen ads somewhere for them....)

Wilkinson bought the patent for Gotohs. Think Schaller vs. original Floyd Rose. Which one is better? Who's to say, really...

Not sure what you mean about "different kinds", but I know they make models to fit "imports" as well as your Fender (American) guitars. The pole/string spread is different between the two, so you have to make sure you get the right one.

Also, I THINK they make a screw-in arm model as opposed to a pop-in arm model. Perhaps that's what you mean....?

Oh, the Wilkinsons seem to be a lot easier to buy parts for than the vintage Gotoh's, too. It's a real crap-shoot if you need to buy a replacement arm for a Gotoh. I've bought 3 that said they would fit, and only one did! (I just switch it between guitars, lol.)

• Members

I've used Wilkinsons, vintage Gotohs, and a couple of generic models (the no-names, such as you GFS types) over the years.

The Gotohs I've used are older models, but are very similar to the Wilkinsons (different string saddles). Both are high-quality units, but I would say the Wilkinson is about the best, as far as quality. There are some "boutique" trem units that are similar (and probably superior) to the Wilkie, but I haven't personally used one, so I can't really comment on them. (I've seen ads somewhere for them....)

Wilkinson bought the patent for Gotohs. Think Schaller vs. original Floyd Rose. Which one is better? Who's to say, really...

Not sure what you mean about "different kinds", but I know they make models to fit "imports" as well as your Fender (American) guitars. The pole/string spread is different between the two, so you have to make sure you get the right one.

Also, I THINK they make a screw-in arm model as opposed to a pop-in arm model. Perhaps that's what you mean....?

Oh, the Wilkinsons seem to be a lot easier to buy parts for than the vintage Gotoh's, too. It's a real crap-shoot if you need to buy a replacement arm for a Gotoh. I've bought 3 that said they would fit, and only one did! (I just switch it between guitars, lol.)

Sweet man, thanks for the advice- I'm gonna go with a VS100. What do you think is the best way of figuring out if it fits?

Archived